Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Parker reflects on US/HP Merger

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...b-fee959157199

Time to get sick.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:50 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
His article simply states that 35,000 jobs would had been lost had it not been for the merger. As much as I hate the direction he has taken us, the jest of the article is true. For many of us, I am far from sick!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:53 am
Suspended

In corporate America, it helps to have a story and keep sticking to it. DP could run for office having saved 35,000 jobs - quite a heroic tale
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:43 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
In corporate America, it helps to have a story and keep sticking to it. DP could run for office having saved 35,000 jobs - quite a heroic tale
Well, I can't get into the mind of DP and to be honest would never want to, but nowhere does he state that HE saved jobs...just that the merger did, which it did. The problem is that the failed DP decisions haven't exactly secured those jobs.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
"Three years after the merger between US Airways and America West, it seems clear the deal was an overall success."

Might help a bit if you referenced the source of the story:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10442...aved-jobs.html

And, as the article points out, the pilots have been very professional, for the most part, at keeping their internal bickering in house.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
I have flown on planes piloted by both groups and have seen no evidence whatsoever of the conflict. It would be nice to know, however, whether any progress is being made in resolving the differences. I suppose if enough years go by retirements may make it easier to deal with the problems. But I would hope we would not have to wait 25 years.

It is interesting that Delta and Northwest pilots seem to have agreed to binding arbitration. Didn't the USA/HP pilots go through arbitration?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: None
Sometimes "progress" is measured on a glacial scale....

It looks like a judge will eventually decide the pilot's seniority integration and who knows how long that may take.

As for your 2nd question, the two pilot groups followed the ALPA seniority integration process to it's conclusion, which was "final and binding" arbitration. It was after the arbitrator issued his ruling that ALPA was voted out as bargaining agent and it's replacement - USAPA - began seeking a different result.

Jim
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
US Airways hopes to begin selling pillows, blankets by year's end

From the USAToday travel section:

Back in August, Today in the Sky told you that US Airways had plans to remove free pillows and blankets from its planes and replace them with for-purchase "combo pillow and blanket packs." Now, it appears some details of the airline's plan are beginning to take shape. The Charlotte Observer writes that "despite falling oil prices that are expected to save airlines much more money in fuel costs, US Airways –- Charlotte's dominant carrier –- expects to charge passengers about $7 for pillows and blankets on planes, according to the latest US Airways employee newsletter."

Bloomberg News adds US Airways "hasn't set a date to start the sales," though US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant says the airline hopes to do so by the end of the year. "This was a natural extension of the a la carte pricing we've been rolling out this year," Durrant tells Bloomberg. "It's great for our frequent travelers because it's theirs to take home or use on other flights. It's a better product because you know what you're getting. No one will be worried about where their pillow or blanket has been."
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver
What I'm more interested in is when US will roll out paid toilets. I'll be a big fan of it.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Im all for that..I used an airline pillow once and ended up with bite marks on my head..
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Blug..i bet it would keep the toilets cleaner with less use..@:-)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Im all for that..I used an airline pillow once and ended up with bite marks on my head..

Maybe you should stop pestering your female seatmate
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:22 pm

I always thought that having them on the plane was gross. We at express never had them (except for the stray one that came from mainline or the provisions agent putting them on the wrong plane). They aren't cleaned until the plane comes into a hub for the night, sometimes that could be two days or so.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Like a few others, I actually think this is a good idea. This way, you're ensured to get a clean set and can keep it and wash it yourself if you so desire. Personally, I'll just stick with my inflatable around the neck pillow.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I never use pillows or blankets, but if I did, I would buy something of quality from a retail store, not an airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.