Trip Report: BMI Domestic in Y

Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Trip Report: BMI Domestic in Y

Following on from Oxon Flyer's recent luxury in C I thought I would offer up my own trip report from my recent EDI-LHR on Monday.

We have a new travel booking system in place and it seems when you have a full Y ticket you can access the seatmap and pick a seat in advance. As it was a normal 319 I took 9A as the first row in Y on the left was not available (for my return I have bagged the first row in Y on the left so as good as C as it's showing a normal 319 too, however this runs the risk of ending up in 19E as we all well know, I have a couple of GUV's in my bag just in case this happens) for exit row space.

In the lounge they were looking for volunteers due to an oversold situation. The offer was £75 cash or £150 vouchers. They needed 3 people and got them too. A conversation was overhead on entering the lounge by one of the lounge staff saying a gold card holder on a full Y ticket was not given a seat at checkin but he was definately getting on the plane regardless. I like that attitude from the staff.

FWIW, the last time I was at EDI the same announcement went out in the terminal on a Monday morning as I was waiting for the AF flight to CDG. Looks like bmi have picked up some extra business recently on the LHR flight from BA as in seven months of flying every Monday AM on the 0700 MAN flight not once did I hear an oversold announcement for the 0630 LHR flight (and yes I was in the lounge early enough to hear it if it needed to be made).

£75 would have been nice but I needed to be in London on time so could not take up the offer.

Boarding was on time as was takeoff. A number of people were told to sit back down on reaching the gate as they were still boarding business and gold card holders. Had a nice tea and breakfast panini to pass the time. Amazingly we landed early at LHR by almost 30 minutes due to not having to go round in circles. Not sure if we got an unexpected early slot as we began descending very fast at one point, must have been in a hurry.

Spent the time we gained in the air waiting on my bag and the bus to Avis but still got into work at a very reasonable time as the M25 was moving well too.

So I've still got 6 GUV's to use this year and another 4 2009 ones hopefully on their way with my new DC card as my current one expires in 11 days.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

£75 was a bit stingy no?

Last time I offered to be offloaded CPH-GLA I got $200, overnight in a good hotel and upgraded on the morning flight and we're not talking yesterday either......twas a good many years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.