Wiki Posts
Search

Reminder: 26 Nov - Heavy Bag Charge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Reminder: 26 Nov - Heavy Bag Charge

Just a reminder that as of 26 November there will be a heavy bag charge for each bag over 23kgs.

First, Club World/Europe and BA Exec Club Gold and Silver members are exempt from this charge. This exemption also applies to anyone travelling on the same booking as a BAEC Gold or Silver member.

Excess charges will continue to apply where the number of bags exceed the passengers allowance and if the excess bag is over 23kgs, then the heavy bag charge will also be applied.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:22 am

SpeedbirdLHR - thanks for the reminder. ^

Is the exemption for First, Club World/Europe and BA Exec Club Gold/Silver new? Don't remember hearing about this when it was previously discussed (though that was a long time ago!).
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Just a reminder that as of 26 November there will be a heavy bag charge for each bag over 23kgs.

First, Club World/Europe and BA Exec Club Gold and Silver members are exempt from this charge. This exemption also applies to anyone travelling on the same booking as a BAEC Gold or Silver member.

Excess charges will continue to apply where the number of bags exceed the passengers allowance and if the excess bag is over 23kgs, then the heavy bag charge will also be applied.
Thanks for the reminder. I didn't know that premium pax were exempt from the charge but that's certainly good news. There isn't anything which mentions this on ba.com - perhaps Dilly can confirm when this will go on?

Regards,

tom139
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
^^ First I'd heard about that part. When and where was that announced? It definitely isn't mentioned in standard baggage allowance pages on ba.com, which has the footnote about the new charge.

I travel with quite an extensive wardrobe (Rio, foe example, needs beach, street, dinner and party - four changes of clothes per day ) and normally take two cases if I'm away for more than a long weekend. Recently on a week-long trip I decided it would be easier to get around with just one bag, which put in on the 23kg borderline; I was mindful of that fact that the new rules hadn't come in and couldn't help thinking - especially as I was travelling in F with a three-case luggage allowance - how petty it would be that under the new rules I would have been charged if it came in at 24kg.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Nov 6, 2008 at 12:44 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

flyertalknovice posted this new news a few weeks ago and was doubted so I take it he/she was correct?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:46 am

Good spot - and sounds like it. Let's hope flyertalknovice hasn't been scared away....
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Recently I was travelling in F with just one bag on the 23kg borderline, and rather thinking how petty it would be that past November 26th an F pax with just one bag at 24kg would be charged, yet with be ok with three sub-23kg bags.
True but if this should have to a passenger in WT, WT+ or ET we would suggest they took 1kg worth of items out of one bag and put them into their hand luggage or another case (if it was a route where 2 cases are allowed)

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Nov 6, 2008 at 1:10 pm
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
True but if this should have to a passenger in WT, WT+ or ET we would suggest they took 1kg worth of items out of one bag and put them into their hand luggage or another case (if it was a route where 2 cases are allowed)
Yes, but my point is that it is often much more convenient to carry one case than two. By far the easiest way for me to get to LHR is by tube, but that is quite a struggle with two cases (plus hand baggage) although very easy with one. When my things will fit comfortably into a medium-sized suitcase that I can easily carry, it seems ridiculous to take a second case just because I'm afraid it might weigh a little bit too much.

Also, I can't weigh it that accurately. Even if I had accurate scales at home, most hotels don't have them, and it may have become a little heavier with shopping. So it could be an extra 2kg, and if my hand baggage is already stuffed full (it usually is), then it really is impossible to move 2kg into it.

Believe me, I'm not making this up or trying to be difficult. This isn't a hypothetical example. Quite often the two options you suggest are impossible or very inconvenient for me.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Also, I can't weigh it that accurately. Even if I had accurate scales at home, most hotels don't have them, and it may have become a little heavier with shopping. So it could be an extra 2kg, and if my hand baggage is already stuffed full (it usually is), then it really is impossible to move 2kg into it.

Believe me, I'm not making this up or trying to be difficult. This isn't a hypothetical example. Quite often the two options you suggest are impossible or very inconvenient for me.
Perhaps you might want to invest in one of these - conveniently portable for those hotels which don't have scales in them
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Perhaps you might want to invest in one of these - conveniently portable for those hotels which don't have scales in them
How much does it weigh?

But then what do I do on the way home? I'm at the Gansevoort, I've just said goodbye to a friend over a quick late lunch, packed in a mad rush with lots of empty bags from Bloomies discarded in the waste-paper basket, haven't slept for 30 hours, and discovered that my suitcase weighs 25.5kg (plus unknown weight of scales) and my hand luggage is stuffed full.

You might say that the same problem happens with a limit of 32kg. But you see, it doesn't. Because I know that my suitcase is comfortably less than that.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Nov 6, 2008 at 10:56 am Reason: more realistic scenario
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thanks for this information - useful and comforting to know.

Can I take it that "BA Golds and Silvers" means exactly that? No extension to OW equivalents? (I'm not expecting any, just wanted to make sure that I understand, and know which bit of plastic to bring.)
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Great! How much do they weigh [the intransitive version of the verb]?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:29 pm

How very interesting.

I have been involved in a dialogue with GGL about the proposal to charge FIRST and Golds the heavy bag charge. As recently as the end of September I was told that it would apply to me as a FIRST passenger.

Very pleased that there has been a change of tack.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
Originally Posted by redshift27
Great! How much do they weigh [the intransitive version of the verb]?
The scale is a bit bulky, and weighs about 250gm (maybe a bit more).

How about this instead? http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.a...uctCode=xScale
Old Nov 7, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold

Has this been confirmed anywhere? Can't find it on BA.com and my bookings all say I will have to pay the excess charge...
This will be a very good benefit for Golds / Silvers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.