Wiki Posts
Search

No more "always double miles" with AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Priority Club
No more "always double miles" with AMEX

I have the Gold Delta AMEX card and my November statement has the following change in terms:
Accumulation of Delta SkyMiles
You will continue to accumulate double miles for qualifying Delta Air Lines purchases. However, we are eliminating all other categories of
"Always Double Miles purchases." For billing periods that begin on or after January 1, 2009, the definition of "Always Double Miles
purchases" in the Agreement Regarding the Accumulation of Delta Miles in Connection with Your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American
Express is deleted, and the reference to "Always Double Miles purchases" in the second, third and fourth paragraphs of that Agreement are
deleted and replaced with "Delta Purchases."
If your Card Account was opened on or after November 1, 2007, this change will not go into effect for your Card Account until one year after the
date your Card Account was opened.
I searched the forum but haven't seen any other mention of this. Did anyone else get this change and does it impact the Platinum card as well?

Szymon
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:33 am

They haven't taken it off the application yet.

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c.../b/218/0/0/0/n
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I have the regular AMEX gold, which has membership rewards. They have said nothing about getting rid of double points for all the regular double point purchases. I'm surprised, therefore, they'd do it for the DL card.

The terms and conditions on the website say that they are vaild through Sept 15, 2008. Perhaps something is in the works?

Dave
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:04 am

I just spoke with an AMX representative concerning my Delta Platinum AMX and she didn't know anything about this change. That doesn't mean that it's not true. I did notice that something was going on with one of the AMX sites when I tried to investigate the current benefits of the card. The AMX rep said she'd get back to me.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL GM
This is really big news.....most of my purchases are gas/supermarket/pharmacy.....

Really could push me towards a lower cost AMEX or one with better benefits (ie. readily redeemable awards)....see what happens with this.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by szymon
If your Card Account was opened on or after November 1, 2007, this change will not go into effect for your Card Account until one year after the date your Card Account was opened.[/INDENT]
I didn't receive the message - statement closes on 15 November and the statement above would be relevant - but that single change would be enough for me to get rid of the Delta AmEx before paying the next annual fee (literally). I only keep the Citibank AA card because I can claim multiple reduced mileage trips per year.

EDIT: Logged into AmEx, checked my account and selected "Card Award and Benefits" - the always double miles is no longer referenced in the footnotes; only up to $60,000 in Delta purchases . . . Where were Jeff's blog postings again?

Last edited by icurhere2; Nov 4, 2008 at 1:34 pm
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Oh my gosh, this would really affect earning for some people. I do a lot of USPS purchases. If this is the case, Im switching to another airline card since I already earn enough miles on Delta actually flying. Or perhaps even a hotel-branded card without a fee.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
OMG! Is this actually a slowdown in the profligate inflation of SkyMiles? Probably just a minor speedbump. DL will find some other way to peddle their miles. Amex is having problems in the current economy and is even being investigated for some of its practices, so they may not want to spend the cash for those double miles.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Amex was a staunch supporter of Delta during bankruptcy and purchased millions of dollars worth of skymiles as a way to bolster Delta's cash flow. With all the double miles deals, Amex may very well have used up those extra miles they got for buying into Delta.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by icurhere2
EDIT: Logged into AmEx, checked my account and selected "Card Award and Benefits" - the always double miles is no longer referenced in the footnotes; only up to $60,000 in Delta purchases . . . Where were Jeff's blog postings again?
When I look up the card's benefits it says "Double Miles on Delta Purchases - You can automatically earn two miles for every eligible dollar you spend on qualifying Delta Air Lines and Delta Vacations purchases".

Looks like Skymiles is now being "enhanced" by American Express as well...
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I see that Always Double Miles has disappeared off the AMEX page. We already downgraded my husband's gold card to the blue card after his annual fee came due. I won't be renewing my gold card now, either.

That's $190 savings a year right there.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by ncvet61
Amex was a staunch supporter of Delta during bankruptcy and purchased millions of dollars worth of skymiles as a way to bolster Delta's cash flow. With all the double miles deals, Amex may very well have used up those extra miles they got for buying into Delta.
That would be a blessing! Now what explains the extreme auto rental promos?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
it is true i think

no longer on platinum website as list of card benefits....
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:31 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
What about the Reserve card? Hmm maybe I will go to the Costco card after all at my renewal!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by jfulcher
What about the Reserve card? Hmm maybe I will go to the Costco card after all at my renewal!
I don't have one of them, but . . .

The benefit has disappeared when I log into my account and look up the benefits,
The benefit still seems present on the Delta website (to get one to apply),
The benefit still seems present on some (but not all) of the AmEx applications.

If I get notified of no double miles for everyday purchases - as someone who buys hotel gift cards at supermarkets for the double miles - I'll go straight to SPG AmEx. CostCo option is not so palatable, given I'd have to drive most of an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.