Wiki Posts
Search

FA: "My insurance doesn't cover that."

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold
FA: "My insurance doesn't cover that."

I was on a DCA-ORD flight on Tuesday when a female passenger asked one of the FAs if he could lift her heavy bag into the overhead compartment. He shook his head and said, "No. My insurance doesn't cover that." I assumed he was kidding, but he was not smiling and made no effort to help. As a couple of passengers got up to help, another FA (a woman) grabbed the bag and lifted it, avoiding a potentially awkward situation.

Anyone heard of this?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: United 2P, HHonors Gold, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Gold
And I thought FA's were there to help?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:42 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The primary purpose of a FA job is for safety, but they are also expected to assist passengers with their needs as well, so this FA simply did not want to do any work.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rmtrack
He shook his head and said, "No. My insurance doesn't cover that."
I believe the proper response is "You mean your unemployment insurance?"
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Actually, I would bet that United's workers compensation insurance DOES cover that. Sounds like this FA just really didn't want to help.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I was on a DCA-ORD flight on Tuesday when a female passenger asked one of the FAs if he could lift her heavy bag into the overhead compartment. He shook his head and said, "No. My insurance doesn't cover that." I assumed he was kidding, but he was not smiling and made no effort to help. As a couple of passengers got up to help, another FA (a woman) grabbed the bag and lifted it, avoiding a potentially awkward situation.

Anyone heard of this?
Never an FA....

But I am a believer that if you can't lift it yourself..... then it shouldn't be a "carry" on.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Yes

Anyone heard of this?
YES I recently heard an FA say that if you can't lift your carry on into the overhead bin it must be checked. I think their are 2 sides to this, with the free carry on, and the charge for checked baggage I have seen some bags that no way belong being carried on. I think FAs need to handle this situation more delicately. I note on hertz buses in some locations they have signs that say drivers can not assist with any bags weighing over 25 pounds. In my opinion if you are going to charge for checked bags this is another good reason to charge for carry on bags that won't fit under seat for non elite non full fare customers.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I believe the proper response is "You mean your unemployment insurance?"
^

OP: how was the FA the rest of the flight?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
if you can't lift it yourself..... then it shouldn't be a "carry" on.
Originally Posted by ORD4R
I recently heard an FA say that if you can't lift your carry on into the overhead bin it must be checked.
I'm sure the ADA would have something to say about these opinions. Physical fitness, ability, or minimum height is not a prerequsite to fly (as a passenger).
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Never an FA....

But I am a believer that if you can't lift it yourself..... then it shouldn't be a "carry" on.
I agree. Flight attendants are not baggage handlers. If you cannot manage your own bag, then check it. It is not the responsibility of the flight crew or other passengers to tend to heavyweight carry ons.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm sure the ADA would have something to say about these opinions. Physical fitness, ability, or minimum height is not a prerequsite to fly (as a passenger).
Probaly not as the ADA doesn't apply to airline passengers.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DAL4550
I agree. Flight attendants are not baggage handlers. If you cannot manage your own bag, then check it. It is not the responsibility of the flight crew or other passengers to tend to heavyweight carry ons.
I disagree. Haven't you ever helped a women lift her bag? Perhaps just to be a gentleman?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:03 pm

Probaly not as the ADA doesn't apply to airline passengers.
I'm sure if you said nobody in a wheelchair or otherwise physically challenged was allowed to bring a carryon (which you did above), some aspect of it or a related law would apply.

Originally Posted by DAL4550
It is not the responsibility of the flight crew or other passengers to tend to heavyweight carry ons.
Helping passengers with their bags is (or certainly should be) part of the job description, as long as the bag conforms to the airline's limits.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ADA doesn't apply to airlines. A separate federal law covers accessibility issues, the Air Carrier Access Act:

http://www.disabilitytravel.com/airl...arrier_act.htm

I doubt it requires that FAs lift heavy bags belonging to disabled passengers.

FAs have told me that their employer (AA) has told them that they lift passenger bags at their own risk and if injured doing so, they risk a workers' comp denial.

And I agree that if you can't lift your own bag, you need to check it or find another passenger who will help. FAs are not baggage handlers. Those guys work under the wing.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: These views/opinions are solely my own and not necessarily those of UAL or any other affiliates
Actually, this is true. F/As are not covered by United should they get injured lifting passengers bags. But there is a tactful way of saying this, and a not so tactful way. I usually just tell the passengers that I am not allowed to lift bags, that United will not cover it if I get injured...but to ask someone sitting nearby, or walking past if they mind helping. Then I tell them that if they have any issues, to come let me know and we will find someone to help them, or put it in the closet if there is room. I use the "check it to your final destination" as a last resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.