Search

WSJ: Now Boarding: Illegal Immigrants on One-Way Tickets Home

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
WSJ: Now Boarding: Illegal Immigrants on One-Way Tickets Home

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122244477368779127.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- While U.S. airlines downsize and scrimp on amenities, one carrier is offering its passengers leather seats, ample legroom and free food. But frequent fliers probably don't want a ticket on what may be the fastest growing "airline" serving Central America.

This carrier is run by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the federal agency responsible for finding and deporting undocumented immigrants. A crackdown on illegal immigration has led to a spike in deportations and the creation of a de facto airline to send all the deportees home.
If i could only have such service when i fly.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The unmentioned is that many undocumented aliens are turning themselves in for voluntary deportation so they can get back home at government expense. Even they are hurting for money given the economic meltdown that followed from years of government deregulation and poor oversight of the financial markets and the collapse of the housing -- and construction -- industry.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The unmentioned is that many undocumented aliens are turning themselves in for voluntary deportation so they can get back home at government expense. Even they are hurting for money given the economic meltdown that followed from years of government deregulation and poor oversight of the financial markets and the collapse of the housing -- and construction -- industry.
maybe we can leave too...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
"... The swanky Boeing 737-800, leased from Miami Air International, had 172 brown leather seats and a single-class configuration... Halfway through the flight, security agents handed out box lunches: a bologna sandwich, potato chips, orange juice and a bag of carrots. When asked about the food quality, passenger Veronica Garcia grimaced and shook her head..."

172 seats sounds like 31" pitch to me, but a free bologna sandwich... that sure beats BOB!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:00 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
maybe we can leave too...
Free one-way vacation to your favorite Central American country. Maybe one has deportation flights back to the US.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by SFO777
172 seats sounds like 31" pitch to me, but a free bologna sandwich... that sure beats BOB!
Ryanair seats 189 - 17 more seats (or three more rows) - means three fewer inches of pitch throughout; ICE Air sounds palatial in comparison.

BTW - get rid of the bologna sandwich and one has my lunch . . .
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
A Guatemalan foreign-ministry official declared, "Welcome home," and informed the arrivals that they had free access to a phone, a money-changing service and vans to the central bus station. "If you used a different name in the U.S., please give us your real name," the official told the crowd. "There is no problem."

wow!...I don't think United even has a lounge with this sort of treatment for Y customers hehehe....maybe its time for me to go back to Afghanistan.......hmm...or maybe NOT!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
"... The swanky Boeing 737-800, leased from Miami Air International, had 172 brown leather seats and a single-class configuration... Halfway through the flight, security agents handed out box lunches: a bologna sandwich, potato chips, orange juice and a bag of carrots. When asked about the food quality, passenger Veronica Garcia grimaced and shook her head..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737#737-800
The 737-800 seats 162 passengers in a two class layout, or 189 in one class,
That means three fewer rows than standard configuration, so most likely better that 31" pitch.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
If a sizable proportion of US illegal residents leave, what happens to the economies of the border states who rely on underpaying such workers?

It's an interesting story which I noted from that day's WSJ e-mail.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by BiziBB
If a sizable proportion of US illegal residents leave, what happens to the economies of the border states who rely on underpaying such workers?
Maybe they could pay decent wages and hire Americans?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by thebat
Maybe they could pay decent wages and hire Americans?
I figured a suffificent number had been offered amnesties that the deportation of a proportion would still allow such businesses to carry on paying ex-illegals a similar but slightly higher wage.

I suppose it could be a lot worse, like contracting it out to a Mesa / Taco Bell consortium.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
[

I figured a suffificent number had been offered amnesties that the deportation of a proportion would still allow such businesses to carry on paying ex-illegals a similar but slightly higher wage.
p
Man, ya gotta proofread these things before you post.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=BiziBB;10544735]
Originally Posted by thebat

I suppose it could be a lot worse, like contracting it out to a Mesa / Taco Bell consortium.
i do not understand what you said.

what are you saying about amnesties?? are you famaliar with the situation?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Who can you earn miles on?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:12 pm

Tade advantage of a free flight, why not? Goes with the free in-state college tuition, free healthcare via the emergency room and OB wards (after which they disappear sin pagando), and free schooling for their kids in our already overstuffed public schools. All so we can save a quarter on a wal-mart t-shirt or a dime on some OJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.