Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New AA.com Updates - Seat Map Upgrade and FFL Program Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold

When trying to book a flight this morning, I notice during the booking process that you can now select the OW FFL program in which you would like to receive the miles. In addition, the seat map has been upgraded and includes some additional seat designations including "preferred seat" and "moveable arm rests".

ZakkW
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
The movable armrests is the new way of showing what used to be shown using the handicaped logo.
I think using the handicaped logo my have been confusing to some people because a person is not allowed to use a handicaped parking spot, but they are allowed to use the "handicaped" seat on a flight.

I also noticed the new preferred seats in the seat map. So now both the exit rows and the preferred seats are reserved for elite.

-Mike
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Originally Posted by ZakkW
In addition, the seat map has been upgraded and includes some additional seat designations including "preferred seat" and "moveable arm rests".

ZakkW
I, too, noticed the change when booking my flights a few hours ago. Interesting choice of which seats got "preferred" status -- seatguru.com certainly doesn't agree with AA's assessment of the better seats, nor do some of the FT threads that have discussed the pros and cons of seating. I'd really like to see AA's "preferred" criteria!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Alka
I, too, noticed the change when booking my flights a few hours ago. Interesting choice of which seats got "preferred" status -- seatguru.com certainly doesn't agree with AA's assessment of the better seats, nor do some of the FT threads that have discussed the pros and cons of seating. I'd really like to see AA's "preferred" criteria!
It looked to me like:
Start at front of plane and select as many as necessary of the following (based on expected number of elites:
  • aisle seat
  • window seat on 2-seat side
Note that seat guru lists many of the exit row seats as good, but for AA they are marked as exit row, not preferred.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I have an MD80 flight next April where, at the moment, I seem to be the only pax with an assigned seat.

That lets me view the whole seatmat.
  • All of 20 & 21 are designated exit (of course).
  • All of 7, 8 are unavailable (I assume airport assignment).
  • 31 AB & 32 AB are unavailable (behind galley, may not exist depending on the configuration).
  • 32 DEF are unavailable (I assume airport assignment / crew rest unless needed).
  • 9AB D & 10AB D are the only non-exit preferred seats.
  • All D seats except the exit rows, and the unavailable rows above, show the movable armrest. None of the B's show that.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Aren't there threads discussing these items already? Or am I mistaken?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s

You are correct
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
And that is one of the problems being offline for the better part of a week will do to you.

As my students like to say, my bad. The earlier threads are here and here.

Never mind...just found references to additional threads.

Last edited by Alka; Oct 10, 2008 at 12:47 pm Reason: Found too many threads to list.... Do a search instead!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The seat selection has already been discussed (and linked above).

But the FFP program selection is something I don't recall seeing here before. (If that has also been discussed before, please link. Thanks.)
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The seat selection has already been discussed (and linked above).

But the FFP program selection is something I don't recall seeing here before. (If that has also been discussed before, please link. Thanks.)
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....46&postcount=8
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:50 pm

Do the middle 5 seats on AA 777s have moveable arm-rests?

I'm confused by the new designation showing moveable armrests.
This would seem to imply that the armrests between seats in the middle 5 in Economy won't move.
Do this mean the days of getting the whole 5 to oneself and lying flat on empty flights are gone?

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by zendrummer
I'm confused by the new designation showing moveable armrests.
This would seem to imply that the armrests between seats in the middle 5 in Economy won't move.
Do this mean the days of getting the whole 5 to oneself and lying flat on empty flights are gone?

Thanks
No, it doesn't mean that you cannot move the armrests on middle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.