Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2008 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:08 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Official 2008 Secret Santa Thread!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HO HO HO,

Greetings from your Flyertalk Secret Santa coordinator William (wharvey).

I am happy to step forward and coordinate this for the Flyertalk community. It is my small way to return something to this community!

As I did the past few years, I am starting the process early.

This is the official thread for the 2008 Secret Santa Extravaganza. Any questions or comments should be limited to this thread or private messaged to me and no other threads should be started. Any private messages sent to me should have a subject of : <your FT handle> Secret Santa 2008. (and yes, you should replace “your FT handle” with your ACTUAL handle; that was an issue for some last year!) 

I hope many of you choose to participate in this years’ event.

While you are thinking about what to get for your FT "friend", consider also purchasing a gift for a child or making a donation to your favorite charity. Please do not use your Secret Santa gift as your donation.

Below are the rules for the 2008 Secret Santa event:

1. Any questions on the Secret Santa process should be directed to me via this thread or via private message (please do not use email). Subject should always be: <your FT handle> Secret Santa 2008. (and yes, you should replace “your FT handle” with your ACTUAL handle; that was an issue for some last year!)  I plan to respond through the PM system so make sure you have enabled that feature if you want to participate.

2. The expected limit on your gift purchase is $50 USD and does NOT include shipping and packaging costs. Of course, I am sure no one will mind gifts of higher value or certain paper from airlines and hotels that are "priceless". Understand that this is an estimate. I do ask that people view this as an "expected" level so that some people do not get disappointed. This has happened in the past. Please plan to spend at LEAST $35 on your gift exclusive of shipping and packaging costs. Also, plan to send something personal to people; NOT donations on their behalf to a charity organization.

CONTINUED FROM LAST THREE SEASONS:: If you are interested, you may volunteer to be a Secret Santa for up to three different Flyertalkers. If you sign up for one, two or three... it means you will also have one, two or three FTers with your name... UNDERSTAND, there is no guarantee for you to be assigned more than one person. Santa reserves final decision rights on this plan!!

This is my sixth year of running Secret Santa. While my memory and files are good, know that it is possible you may get someone again that you had before… I try to cross check… but too many people are involved to be 100% perfect.

CONTINUED BY POPULAR DEMAND: Ever wished you got a specific person as your Secret person to gift? Now is your chance. Again this year, you can "request" particular individuals you would like to get assigned to you for your gift buying. No guarantee... but I will do my best.

3. Secret Santas have the option of remaining anonymous. I will not disclose names nor addresses of anyone who participates to anyone other than their Secret Santa. I expect that any information you receive from me will not be shared with anyone else.

4. The coordinator assumes no responsibility for delivery or non-delivery of gifts. I want this to be fun and hope that everyone who participates will have fun and get into the holiday spirit. Understand, however, that failure to deliver will result in your being denied participation in future years. HSXAgent, DEVIS, MarySunshine, Tfmpa, Jim_USAIR, Icorproadie, Adam100, Tokyotraveler, Mrstaralliance and Phoenixdude are on Santa’s bad boy list for failing to deliver gifts in the past even though they received gifts… so they will not be allowed to participate this year. In addition, delivering gifts more than 6 months after the holiday does not count as delivering. This happened this year. Everyone has a right to expect a gift during the holiday season.

5. You must be registered on Flyertalk.com at the time you send your private message. IF you are a lurker, you must register on Flyertalk.com before becoming a Secret Santa participant. You may also want to post in the "Who We Are" thread to introduce yourself to the community. That thread can be found at:

Who We Are Thread

6. Deadline to participate is December 1st, 2008 at 5 pm Boston time. If you wish to participate, you MUST send a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me through the FT system. Subject Line: <your FT handle> Secret Santa 2008. In this private message, you must provide the following information and PLEASE answer the questions in the order provided below as that will help me input the data into my tracking documents. In fact, please just copy the questions below into the private message window and answer the questions. I make no promises of anyone getting into the process if they miss this date.

a. Your full name (first and last name)

b. Your FULL mailing address for your gift. This address should be one where you can receive a package in December.

c. Your email address (must be verifiable)

d. Your Flyertalk handle

e. Your Gender

f. Maximum number of times you wish to participate: (1, 2, 3):

g: Specific FTer (if any) you would like assigned to you:

h. Some facts about yourself that might help your Secret Santa shop for your gift. Please make sure they are helpful hints... (DO not be shy... is there something particular you would like to get? From a particular airline, hotel, headphones?)

i. A "Yes" or "No" as to whether or not you are willing to send a gift outside your country. If at all possible, please be willing to ship out of your own country... especially for USA residents.

AGAIN, please help Santa out by using the SUBJECT LINE as requested.

If I receive enough participants early on, I may go ahead and match up members so you can get a head start on your gift buying. I would then provide a second match-up after the December 1st deadline. Santa has to get his rest in before the mad rush of the holiday season.

Please be sure to read Santa updates throughout this thread!!!

To read threads from previous years:

2007 Official Secret Santa Thread

2006 Official Secret Santa Thread

2005 Official Secret Santa Thread

2004 Official Secret Santa Thread

2003 Official Secret Santa Thread

I am glad to step forward again this year and be your Secret Santa coordinator and hope you find it to be another wonderful experience of this great Flyertalk community.

William

Last edited by wharvey; Dec 24, 2008 at 10:49 am
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:09 am
Original Poster

This post is where I will list all the members who are choosing to participate in Secret Santa.

If you are on this list, it means I received a Private Message from you that met the requirements.

This list reflects all Private Messages I have received that met the requirements as of the edit date at the bottom of this post. If you think you should be on this list, please re-Private Message me your information.

Thanks,

Santa

================================================== ===================

2kind
Alysia
AMRivlin
AN_Boy
Appletom
Baglady
Baxter&Bessies'Mama
Belle3388
BelfastFlyer
Billscann
Bk3day
Callie-Girl
Canndlewic
Cathe
Cheapsk8
Chefcaw
Ckidder331
Cordelli
Daringdoo
Dartagnan
Dhammer53
Dibby
Elll
Erikatcuse
Flygirl555
Gdeluca
Gj83
GK
GoingAway
Greenfireflyer
Helsinki Flyer
Holmedown
IleftmyheartinTexas
Izzik
Jeffie
Jessica51
Jmsoros
Joporto
JordieBoy
JudyS
Jumpgate
Kevinsac
Kipper
Kiwi Flyer
KSinNYC
Ladiflier
Laundrian
Mad_Rich
Missydarlin
Owlchick
Peteropny
Philemer
Purpleeagl
Redhead
SanDiego1K
Sandyweb33
Seauakid
Seeksreal
ShaneCulver
SkiAdcock
Spiff
Stars4sa
Tamcap
Texas Mariposa
Thelark
Timp
UCBeau
Violist
Wainwright
Warmsnickers
Wendyhamburger
Worldwidedreamer
Yankflyer
Yosithezet

Last edited by wharvey; Dec 29, 2008 at 5:42 am
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:10 am
Original Poster

November 14th - First Assignments Mailed

December 1st - Final Assignments Mailed

Last edited by wharvey; Dec 3, 2008 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:10 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
me first!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wharvey
Subject should always be: <your FT handle> Secret Santa 2007.
Perhaps 2008 works better?

Is there an option to defer delivery of the gift being received? I for one will be in more than a dozen countries over Christmas period so Santa will be hard pressed to get something to me at the usual time.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Woo-hoo! Count me in! I'll PM you requested info this weekend. Hey, if the stores can have Xmas trees out this early, we can start FT SS early Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA
Yay!

It was so much fun last year, I'm glad to hop aboard early this time!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
In for the first time this year ^
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Count me in too! Last couple of years have been fun.

Aren't we supposed to let the Thanksgiving Rendez-Who thread go up first, in the spirit of no Christmas shopping 'till after Thanksgiving?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Count me in too! Last couple of years have been fun.

Aren't we supposed to let the Thanksgiving Rendez-Who thread go up first, in the spirit of no Christmas shopping 'till after Thanksgiving?
Well, aren't we doing our patriotic duty by shopping early and often this year. Our own little FT economic bailout
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Redhead
Well, aren't we doing our patriotic duty by shopping early and often this year. Our own little FT economic bailout
If only it were just the FlyerTalkers doing "their bit" for the economy!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: 1K
Count me in! My Secret Santas have been most generous in past years. I'll send Santa my details later this weekend - after the SF Mega DO.

Yippeee!

DD
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Thanks!

Let me be the first to thank wharvey for volunteering again to do this! This is one of the most fun events through FT. It's a ton of work and it seems that wharvey always does an amazing job "herding us cats." Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
PM sent yesterday
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I never know what to gift a family member... shopping for an FT stranger would drive me nuts!

--Russ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.