Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Online seat select available for Int flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat

Thanks for Kiwi Flyer who brought this to my attention in his latest trip report.

The NZ website now allows online seat select for international flights. I'm not sure if it is for all international or just Tasman and Pacific flights only. It worked for my AKL-BNE flight on the Boeing 777 and retained my original seat selection made via Air NZ contact centre.

Down the bottom of the NZ homepage where the "Manage My Domestic Bookings" box used to be is where you will find this new tool. It now just says "Manage My Bookings".
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks NZ_Flyer. I got called away before I could post it here. For those interested, here is my trip report.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Just checked it for my LA flights in December and it certainly does work for international.

Great addition to the website.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Funny how there is no marketing about this feature that I can find as yet. Considering online seat select for international flights was part of NZ's "Changing the Way You Fly" campaign, I would have thought that a notice down the Current Highlights section would have been made to notify people of the new feature at a minimum...followed by an email (which will probably be sent out in the next few days).

Or do others think that they might wait until a few of the other changes are implemented before making an announcement?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
They have updated the info on this page.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/manag...at_request.htm
Online Seat Request

Prefer the easy access of an aisle seat or like gazing out of the window?

You can now request your own seat(s) for all domestic and international flights with Air New Zealand, at no extra charge.

We know that being able to request your own seat is an important part of booking a flight. Whether you're making a new booking, or would like to request a seat for a booking previously made, you can now do it online, before you leave home.

You choose where you want to sit.

Domestic travel

Save time at the airport by requesting your seat when you check-in online for your flight. If seat request is available for your flights a 'seat request and check-in' button will be displayed at the end of the booking process. Alternatively, you can retrieve your booking at a later date

International travel

We're making a huge range of improvements to change the way you fly with us. One of those is offering seat requests online for all international journeys.

You can request the seat that best meets your needs when you complete your booking online or if you booked through one of our Holiday stores.

Be sure to get in early for the best seats by selecting Seat Request from our home page or the booking confirmation page.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Discovered just now that it it works for code share flights as well. Reserved some seats on some UA ticketed flights for March and April next year

Possibly related but a few days ago a UA agent advised me that they could no longer make these requests (perhaps these events are related)

Jeff
Old Sep 11, 2008, 5:09 am

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Thanks for Kiwi Flyer who brought this to my attention in his latest trip report.

The NZ website now allows online seat select for international flights. I'm not sure if it is for all international or just Tasman and Pacific flights only. It worked for my AKL-BNE flight on the Boeing 777 and retained my original seat selection made via Air NZ contact centre.

Down the bottom of the NZ homepage where the "Manage My Domestic Bookings" box used to be is where you will find this new tool. It now just says "Manage My Bookings".
thanks to KF and co for that , it works very well and the best part is it will email it to you so you have that mystical bit of paper!, i am suitable impressed , on mine it was a code share LH no on NZ metal and it still picked it up , shame they cant grab the other Star booking engines as well but then i think i am being greedy! This feature was flagged a while ago bit as has bneen said , no one has said anything yet.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Seat request was disabled for an upcoming flight that has a very light load.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:58 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Originally Posted by jswong
Discovered just now that it it works for code share flights as well. Reserved some seats on some UA ticketed flights for March and April next year
+1 for this experience. Very smooth. Indeed this is better than the reverse experience on UA, where if you have NZ # on UA metal you can see your seat assignments on the UA website, but do nothing about changing them! Ironically, the UA website says about these situations: "Seat maps are unavailable for this flight. If this is a codeshare flight or a flight operated by a partner airline, please contact the operating carrier for seat map review and seat assignments." and then goes onto note "Operated by UNITED AIRLINES INC." Huh?! But that's airline websites for you.

I will add that the NZ international seat selection works for itineraries in progress. I just moved myself from 33C to 34D trying to keep that oh so desirable empty middle on next Monday's SFO - AKL.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:38 pm

From the phrases used in those quotes I presume you can't check what is (still) available BEFORE committing to purchase?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I don't expect so, but I have not made an NZ booking since the change.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:51 pm

We'll have to wait and see then! Don't get me wrong.. it is an improvement even so IMO!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I tried some dummy bookings. No seat maps (which has been the case since the old multi-city booking engine was removed).
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G; QF; HHonors; Hertz PC
Been away from FT for a while - too many children!

I just stumbled across this yesterday for WLG-BNE-WLG next month in Y for a beach holiday on the Sunshine Coast with the family - got row 5 (2nd row on A320 in Y) - it says the pitch is now 35". I'm guessing that might mean the aircraft has already been refurbished - Space+ with seat-back AVOD? I hope so as it'll keep our two wee girls amused for some of the flight!

ANZ certainly didn't prompt me with seating preferences/availability when I booked online a couple of weeks ago.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Yes 35" is space+ with AVOD IFE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.