Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What weird food combinations are you into?

Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster

And since this is FT, let me please beg forgiveness for ending my question with a preposition (sorry, but "into what weird food combos are you?" didn't sound as good).

I'm asking because some years back a friend forced me to try cheddar cheese toasted on bread with strawberry jam. It sounded so disgusting, but when I tasted it, it was not bad at all. I'm actually contemplating making it now, since I have cheese, bread, and jam (and more or less nothing else) and can't decide if I want to eat something kind of sweet or kind of salty.

So there, I've admitted my disgusting food combination. What about you?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:50 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
When I was a kid we used to eat spinach pasta Popeye's with ketchup and corn flake crumbs.

Occaisionally I still crave it.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:01 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Once I was asked if I wanted ketchup with my pizza.. I've had my share of
weird foods, but this one for some reason still freaks me out.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:06 am

Cottage cheese and grape jelly. Yum!!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
In my stoner's-got-the-munchies day, pop-tarts and ice cream.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
A girl I used to work with would eat for lunch spaghetti with walnuts and sugar.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Salty cheese with sweet food isn't that unusual in some places - in NW England, fruit cake with cheddar is a traditional dish (and rather lovely, too). My personal favourite along these lines is toasted hot cross buns with (particularly strong) mature cheddar - mmm, lovely stuff.

The area I now live in has a sweet-savoury local 'delicacy' (it's far from delicate) too - the Bedfordshire Clanger. It's quite tasty.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by stut
Salty cheese with sweet food isn't that unusual in some places - in NW England, fruit cake with cheddar is a traditional dish (and rather lovely, too). My personal favourite along these lines is toasted hot cross buns with (particularly strong) mature cheddar - mmm, lovely stuff.
Or apple pie with a slice of cheddar.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
cornbread in a glass of milk, with bits of onion and pepper.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by 3timesalady
And since this is FT, let me please beg forgiveness for ending my question with a preposition (sorry, but "into what weird food combos are you?" didn't sound as good).

I'm asking because some years back a friend forced me to try cheddar cheese toasted on bread with strawberry jam. It sounded so disgusting, but when I tasted it, it was not bad at all. I'm actually contemplating making it now, since I have cheese, bread, and jam (and more or less nothing else) and can't decide if I want to eat something kind of sweet or kind of salty.

So there, I've admitted my disgusting food combination. What about you?
Saw a "Ham on the Street" episode on Food Network the other day where George ???? had a dozen or so varieties of breads, cheeses, and jellies/jams. Passersby picked one from each category and George made a grilled cheese with the combination. It didn't matter which bread/cheese/jelly combination, all were acclaimed as delicious. I think I'll try a few.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love using claw chowder as the sauce for my linguini pasta. Don't know to what degree of strangeness would that fall under but I haven't seen anyone else do this.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1-From doing the "Body for Life" plan for about years, I can still enjoy cottage cheese and yogurt, especially with peach or strawberry yougrt.

2-As a kid, I like many loved to add my chips into my PB&J. Even better when my Mom would buy crunchy PB as I was the only one who preferred it.

3-Alcohol wise, I will take a 12 oz lager, and add a shot of vodka with 6oz. of 7-up. When combined, I like it. I'll also go for a flavored rum with diet tonic (but this could be its own thread...sorry).

4-After consuming a few of the #3s, any diner which has a "kitchen sink" style breakfast I usually like.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by GuyverII
You brought back a memory for me. Many, many years ago when I was a kid (around the time of the dinosaurs, 4,000 or 65,000,000 years ago, depending on your religious beliefs) my ex-brother-in-law's mother used to eat cornbread in milk. I thought it was gross then, too. It's interesting to see other people eat it as well. I don't believe she added onion but doing so didn't make it any more or less disgusting.

Although I guess I really can't throw stones. I used to eat chocolate chip cookies crumbled into a glass of milk myself.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by GuyverII
We use buttermilk in my part of the world.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:37 pm

deleted

Last edited by SkeptiCallie; Nov 3, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.