Need advice from anyone who lists "City of Birth" as place of birth in US passport.

Subscribe
The US State Dept will allow you to list your "city of birth" as place of birth in US passport.
(only for those who were born outside of the USA)

For example, if you were born in Paris, France, you can request that your US passport be listed as
"Place of Birth: Paris" instead of the usual "Place of Birth: France" ..........

The State Dept's Foreign Affairs Manual clearly states how this can be requested by the passport
applicant. See "7 FAM 1300 Appendix D" under US Dept of State Foreign Affairs Manual
Volume 7 - Consular Affair.

However, the passport agency will always advise you that you "may" encounter difficulties trying
to enter a foreign country with a US passport showing "city of birth" as place of birth... This
seems strange to me, as almost all other foreign passports list "city of birth" as place of birth.
The US is one of the very few country that lists the "country of birth" as place of birth.

Has anyone here ever done this? If so, have you ever encountered any difficulties entering any
foreign country with a US passport that shows "city of birth" as place of birth?
Some countries' passports also have city of birth rather than country. Mine happens to be one of those and I've not encountered issues as a result.

Some countries ask for place of birth on their arrival cards. I've used both city and country interchangeably and not encountered issues.
My first US passport had city and country of birth for me.

Ten years later, the country no longer existed, and the city changed its name.

I was rather curious to see what the second passport would say for birthplace (renewed by mail). It ended up being just country (the new one).

I wish there was a way to request my birthplace listed as:

City formerly known as Leningrad, country formerly known as the USSR.
My US passport says Germany now, but it used to state Muenster, DE on my last passport.
My US passport says Massachusetts, USA. My EU passport simply says Boston
I know I specified the city on my passport application, but I ended up with the state only on my 1999-issued current passport. So even listing the city isn't necessarily going to get it onto the passport; seems the passport agency determines what granularity to display there?
My passport lists my place of birth as "Washington, DC, USA."
Quote: The US State Dept will allow you to list your "city of birth" as place of birth in US passport.
(only for those who were born outside of the USA)
This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.
Quote: This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.

"PLACE OF BIRTH: JERUSALEM" is the only option on your US Passport,
if you were born in Jerusalem. It doesn't matter if you consider yourself
an Israeli or a Palestian.

The US government issues and owns the US passport, so only their
official policy matters. In this case, the passport regulations of the
US State Department clearly spells out this policy.

The only exception is for US citizens who were born in Jerusalem prior
to 1948.

The above policy also applies to US citizens who were born in the
WEST BANK and GAZA STRIP, since the United States government
does not officially recognize Israeli soverignty over these territories.
Quote: This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.
seems like a moo point(because cows don't have opinions) because are these people all US citizens? Doesn't matter what their city/state/country of birth, they are all Americans! Or am I wrong?
I have always wondered what would happen if an agent sufficiently awake went down and read what was on the forms and passports of Swiss citizens. Swiss ID does not show the place of birth, but the place of origin (and is clearly labelled as such). This is the place where the family had its roots. In many ways this makes a lot more sense as your place of birth is usually the location of the local hospital and may not have much to do with where you live.
Notwithstanding that, my Swiss passport clearly has a place of origin. whereas all the forms (ESTA, APIS, Customs and previously I94s) were honestly filled in with my place of birth, which doesn't figure anywhere in my ID. No-one has ever noticed

Quote: seems like a moo point(because cows don't have opinions) because are these people all US citizens? Doesn't matter what their city/state/country of birth, they are all Americans! Or am I wrong?
You drug up a two-year old thread to ask if those who live in Jerusalem are all US citizens?
Quote: I have always wondered what would happen if an agent sufficiently awake went down and read what was on the forms and passports of Swiss citizens. Swiss ID does not show the place of birth, but the place of origin (and is clearly labelled as such). This is the place where the family had its roots. In many ways this makes a lot more sense as your place of birth is usually the location of the local hospital and may not have much to do with where you live.
Notwithstanding that, my Swiss passport clearly has a place of origin. whereas all the forms (ESTA, APIS, Customs and previously I94s) were honestly filled in with my place of birth, which doesn't figure anywhere in my ID. No-one has ever noticed
what is there to notice? many entry forms ask you for info that's not on your passport, like your point of departure or how many chocolate bars you are bringing in.

al
Some countries list on the passport a place of birth which is not necesasarily the place of birth but is rather the place of parental/family residence at the time of the person's birth. This has caused some people trouble but some countries hang on to some reactionary ways and refuse to clean up the act.
Quote: Some countries list on the passport a place of birth which is not necesasarily the place of birth but is rather the place of parental/family residence at the time of the person's birth. This has caused some people trouble but some countries hang on to some reactionary ways and refuse to clean up the act.
which countries are you thinking of?

al