Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Subscribe
How 'bout this "basic function" (search)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...c-standby.html
Same Day Standby when upgraded already on flight
So just a little data point.

Confirmed ticket in Economy on a MIA-EWR flight. Don't plan on taking it it's a 7am I will take a 8pm as standby (flight is wide open). I am PLAT status and plan on using 500 mile upgrades.

Called up to ask agent if I am already confirmed in First on the 7am via upgrade (since it can happen within T-48 hours) that if I was to make a SDFC to the later flight (8pm) would it be considered as in First and the $75 fee waived for the change (vs E $75) and she said NO. That whatever changes you make would be considered from your original booking class. Just figured I'd pass it along since in the sticky that was posted with a ??? as no one had gotten that answer. of course YMMV and or HUCA could apply but that's my experience.
Quote: So just a little data point.

Confirmed ticket in Economy on a MIA-EWR flight. Don't plan on taking it it's a 7am I will take a 8pm as standby (flight is wide open). I am PLAT status and plan on using 500 mile upgrades.

Called up to ask agent if I am already confirmed in First on the 7am via upgrade (since it can happen within T-48 hours) that if I was to make a SDFC to the later flight (8pm) would it be considered as in First and the $75 fee waived for the change (vs E $75) and she said NO. That whatever changes you make would be considered from your original booking class. Just figured I'd pass it along since in the sticky that was posted with a ??? as no one had gotten that answer. of course YMMV and or HUCA could apply but that's my experience.
Interesting, I didn't realize that this wasn't a settled "no." I think it is a settled "no." If you use an SWU or BXP1, you might be able to keep your booking class but definitely not for e500s. But same day changes into premium cabin are a little wacky and even on a paid F ticket there's risk of being putting in coach.
Few questions regarding same-day confirmed flight changes for domestic flights:

- Is the $75 fee waived for non-AA OneWorld Emeralds? (i.e. BA Gold) - I know https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp doesn't specifically mention oneworld elites, but perhaps things are different in practice.
- If yes, is the $75 fee waived for all passengers in the same booking/PNR as the non-AA OneWorld Emerald?

Any anecdotal results with standing by for a later flight on the same day, and turning up to the airport after your original flight?
Quote: Any anecdotal results with standing by for a later flight on the same day, and turning up to the airport after your original flight?
I wouldn't risk it. Many airfares nowadays lose all value when the flight departs. It seems worthwhile to call AA before departure time, to let them know of your intention to stand by for a later flight.
Same Day change with Bulk Fare - it may have been discussed before, but does making a same day change online, take away "bulk fare" code and convert it to a regular fare? ie lose distance based calculation versus fare based calcluation
Quote: I wouldn't risk it. Many airfares nowadays lose all value when the flight departs. It seems worthwhile to call AA before departure time, to let them know of your intention to stand by for a later flight.
THIS IS A MUST. Soon as check in opens I always call up right away and inform them of my plans to take a later flight.
Thank you for the feedback. Any ideas about the waived fees for OneWorld Emeralds?
I experienced something in LAS what I think was not right. Am I correct in saying, that a domestic First Class ticket(LAS-LAX-MIA-PUJ in I-Class) no matter where purchased(Travel Agency in my case) and no matter what status I have is eligible for free of charge SDFC? If so, then AA in LAS whether lied to me or needs retraining. I was told that this is only possible if I was an EXP with AA(not even OWE counts). And that simply holding a First Class ticket does not make me eligible for SDFC.
Quote: I experienced something in LAS what I think was not right. Am I correct in saying, that a domestic First Class ticket(LAS-LAX-MIA-PUJ in I-Class) no matter where purchased(Travel Agency in my case) and no matter what status I have is eligible for free of charge SDFC? If so, then AA in LAS whether lied to me or needs retraining. I was told that this is only possible if I was an EXP with AA(not even OWE counts). And that simply holding a First Class ticket does not make me eligible for SDFC.
That is incorrect. Domestic F fares are entitled to same day changes if there is availability as long as you do not change departure or arrival airport or the routing. I suspect there may have not been availabilty - unlike Delta, AA does not simply allow domestic F passengers to rebook into any available seat. You need your original fare class to be open to transfer into an F seat (unlike Main Cabin which just requires "E" space open). Given that upgrades are processed sometimes before the day of the flight, your issue may have been not having fare availability, although we need to know additional information if that was the case.

The domestic SDFC benefit would extend to the Caribbean, however there is no official same-day standby opportunity for Canada/Caribbean flights. OWE is irrelevant - OWE get free standby changes but not confirmed changes.

More info here and in the wiki. https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Currently have an ORD-DFW-NRT itinerary with less than 1 hour planned layover in DFW.

This worries me for obvious reasons, so I would like to do SDFC/SB to one of the two earlier ORD-DFW flights that day.

Any way to do this even though the segment is part of an international itinerary?

Will I need to call, or will the website allow me to do this at T24?

FWIW, I am an EXP.
Quote: The domestic SDFC benefit would extend to the Caribbean, however there is no official same-day standby opportunity for Canada/Caribbean flights. OWE is irrelevant - OWE get free standby changes but not confirmed changes.

More info here and in the wiki. https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Website is wrong. Same day standby is available for between US and Canada.
Same day flight change
I'm planning to make a domestic same day flight change for a flight departing San Diego, does the day begin at 12:00 a.m. in the departure city or does it begin in at 12:00 a.m. in the time zone of the reservation center the flyer calls? The reason I'm asking is that on the west coast red eye flights disappear from the AA app Flight Status around 10:00 p.m. hence I'm wondering if the day starts based on CST.
This is what I understand: The new flight needs to be in the same day as the existing departing flight and the change can be made within the 24 hour window before the new departing flight.
DMPHL likes this.
Quote: I'm planning to make a domestic same day flight change for a flight departing San Diego, does the day begin at 12:00 a.m. in the departure city or does it begin in at 12:00 a.m. in the time zone of the reservation center the flyer calls? The reason I'm asking is that on the west coast red eye flights disappear from the AA app Flight Status around 10:00 p.m. hence I'm wondering if the day starts based on CST.
The day begins at 12:00AM on the day of departure. Realistically, though, I believe that SDFC and Standby actually begin at the 24hr window before departure.

ETA: robertablake got to it first!