Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do with novels completed en route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis

I typically leave newspapers and periodicals in obvious places where other might reuse them (and hopefully not creating trash), e.g. hotel lobby, airport terminal, lounge, restroom, etc.

Books seem, at least to me, a slightly different breed...if I encounter a periodical laying apparently unattended--rather than reporting the object suspicious--I reuse it. However if I encounter an unattended book, I assume someone forgot it and leave it be.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I label books and other reusable objects that I leave behind so that it is clear they are free for the taking.

Newspapers and such I leave poised on the edge of a trash bin.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I do leave books and magazines somewhere I think it might get picked up and used. I hadn't thought to put a note on it though - good idea.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:54 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I hadn't thought to put a note on it though - good idea.
There's a whole organization/hobby dedicated to this idea - "releasing books into the wild." http://www.bookcrossing.com/

It can be as simple as leaving a note, but they also have book stickers you can use to explain that the book is free, not lost, and outline the catch-and-release philosophy. The idea is to encourage the finder to keep passing the book on. For real hardcores, the site even has a system for tracking books that have been set free.

I don't do this formally, but it sounds like it could be entertaining.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:55 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by birdstrike
I label books and other reusable objects that I leave behind so that it is clear they are free for the taking.

Newspapers and such I leave poised on the edge of a trash bin.
Books, as above with a note to tell the next person they can read it and ask them to d the same when they've finished with it.

Newspapers etc on a seat closed ready for the next person to take.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Hvr
Books, as above with a note to tell the next person they can read it and ask them to d the same when they've finished with it.

Newspapers etc on a seat closed ready for the next person to take.
On a recent visit to Waikiki I had such good service at a small coffee shop COFFEE BEAN and TEA I think that at the end of my treip I asked the girls if they would like the 6 novels that i had read they said they would like them to put out for other customers and usually they return them or put some of theirs on the shelf in return.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:32 am

I read a lot when I travel -- I can easily read a book a day or more on a beach vacation.

Some resorts (FS Costa Rica, Little Dix Bay) have carts or shelves where you can leave a book or take a book -- and I am happy to say I've left dozens over the years. I also leave them on airplanes or in hotel rooms. I've never left a note -- I figure sooner or later, someone will grab it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I never thought about leaving a note. I usually just leave them out. I'm going to check out bookcrossing.com.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I take it home! I never throw out a book...
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:24 am

Programs: Qantas, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Thanks for the note idea... I've often wondered if someone will realise I left my book behind on purpose or if they think someone is coming back for it. I know about bookcrossing, but while I don't travel with stickers I do have a notebook. I'll leave a message next time.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by MarcPHL
I typically leave newspapers and periodicals in obvious places where other might reuse them (and hopefully not creating trash), e.g. hotel lobby, airport terminal, lounge, restroom, etc.
I would caution you NOT to leave items unattended in public areas such as airport terminals, etc... It is the easiest way to create major inconvenience for security services and consequently your fellow passengers.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:34 am

Programs: Qantas, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I would caution you NOT to leave items unattended in public areas such as airport terminals, etc... It is the easiest way to create major inconvenience for security services and consequently your fellow passengers.
Surely this doesn't apply to newspapers and books?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: DL, AA
Several of the Admirals Clubs have a book exchange shelf.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:06 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I usually leave them wherever, but mostly try to leave them at "take-a-book, leave-a-book" type hotel libraries.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:20 am

I've heard a couple announcements over the years "If you just arrived from XXX and left your book on the plane, please return to the gate to claim it." I'd say a note would be in order. I've found books in seatback pockets before and usually there is a ticketstub in the middle of the book. I just leave it be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.