Search

Deutschland-Pass - 299 EUR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Deutschland-Pass - 299 EUR

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/preise/akt...&et_lid=188825

Sounds good, at least how far I could understand it.

But could someone please explain this: "In Deutschland frei wählbar, eine Teilstrecke muss in Zügen des Fernverkehrs zurückgelegt werden."?

Any catches? I see City Night Line is excluded. Looks like ICE isn't?…
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:05 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Yes, ICE is included.

Fernverkehr is a sub company from DB.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:56 am
Original Poster

szg, could you please translate the whole sentence? I still can't make sense of it with my extremely limited Deutsch. And Google translation isn't helpful in this case.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"In Deutschland frei wählbar, eine Teilstrecke muss in Zügen des Fernverkehrs zurückgelegt werden."
Something like:
"Freely selectable within Germany; a segment must be taken in long distance trains."

Oh, and you can travel in the CNL trains, you just have to pay the accomodation supplement for seats, couchettes, or beds.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks, soitgoes!

I'm baffled by the requirement. Do they mean I can take short distance trains only if I travel long distance after or before that? How could they check?…
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slowly
I'm baffled by the requirement. Do they mean I can take short distance trains only if I travel long distance after or before that? How could they check?…
I actually think it means you have to take--at some point in the month--at least one long distance segment. This is probably to avoid coming into conflict with the regional transport tariff rules.

They can't really check. Some conductors may punch your ticket, but the absence of a long distance punch doesn't mean anything.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
I think the reason is they do not want you to use the ticket instead of a monthly travel card for regional carriers.

All in all, I think this is a great offer!
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Again me

I recently booked the "Deutschland-Pass" for EUR 249,- (this price is valid for any person under the age of 26 years) and travelled with it five times so far.

They do not check where you come from or where you are going, so they do not check which trains (long distance / short distance) you took.
Conducters seem not too interested in the person travelling, either. Only one wanted to see my ID.

My opinion: This is a great offer!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: Currently without any status :(
if somebody asks, just say that you will connect later onto one of those.

Careful - that ticket is valid a month long during a two month period. but if you want to travel around and not invest in something like the bahncard (with 25/50 percent rebate but coming in at a cost of 110/220 euro) it is really worth it.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:59 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I actually think it means you have to take--at some point in the month--at least one long distance segment. This is probably to avoid coming into conflict with the regional transport tariff rules.

They can't really check. Some conductors may punch your ticket, but the absence of a long distance punch doesn't mean anything.
And of course long distance train travel could be from Frankfurt Hbf to Frankfurt Airport or Berlin Hbf to Berlin Spandau.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
And of course long distance train travel could be from Frankfurt Hbf to Frankfurt Airport or Berlin Hbf to Berlin Spandau.

Cheater :P

But of course you're right... But as I said before, nobody will care. I have been travelling for three weeks now with the ticket, nobody asked me where I came from or where I will go next.

But bare in mind, buy the ticket by 01. August if you want to profit for the whole time (i.e. one month).

Greez from Grand Hyatt Berlin,
Jonathan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.