Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways bad press (Weather & Attitudes Bad @ DCA) [Merged Threads]

Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

good for Amtrak...

Pretty much makes US Air look miserable.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...VmNjMyOTRlNGU=
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Pretty normal day at DCA if you ask me......some of those agents are down right CRUEL to customers.......again, take a lesson of the crap Tempe lays down on its employees creating low morale and a hostile work environment.....completely unacceptable and I hope this woman reports it to the DOT........
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Not making excuses, but if US knew how to treat employees this would not happen.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:32 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
It sounds typical of US to me! My opinion is that US front line employees have always had a 'better than thou' attitude. Of course therer are exceptions. That's why I stopped flying US except when absolutely necessary! There isn't enough space on the FT server for me to start telling US stories of employee attitude! Although I haven't spent a lot of time here on the US FT forum, I'm sure many / most of you know what I'm talking about.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the 1970's :

"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the PHONE COMPANY."

----Lily Tomlin aka Ernestine, the operator

In 2008 :

"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the AIRLINE."

----Doug Parker, CEO

Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:36 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Not making excuses, but if US knew how to treat employees this would not happen.
BINGO!!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
I've seen some of that attitude at DCA also, but never heard arrest threats. This type of behavior seems to be the norm now at USAirways......and what's worse is that it is tolerated. Class A management you all have there....Dougie, get your head out of the bottle and at least make it look like you are trying to run an airline.....not run it into the ground.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:22 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
I've seen some of that attitude at DCA also, but never heard arrest threats. This type of behavior seems to be the norm now at USAirways......and what's worse is that it is tolerated. Class A management you all have there....Dougie, get your head out of the bottle and at least make it look like you are trying to run an airline.....not run it into the ground.
Happened to me 3 weeks ago at DCA. The agent at special services said I was "belligerent" and actually picked up the phone and called security. Appropriately, the agent working that desk had the first name of a famous rat from the movies. Sadly, I think he was serious and I got the hell out of there.

Fortunately, the agent at the ticket counter had a more pleasant disposition.

I should probably add that I was in no way threatening nor belligerent, just trying to get home. It was the worst treatment I've ever suffered at the hands of an airline employee ever. Totally unwarranted and unjustified.

Quite a change from the days when DCA was home base and I knew virtually every agent there by name.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Myrna Blyth
I, experienced traveler that I am, went to another gate and said I wanted to leave the next morning on the earliest shuttle. The somewhat-confused gate agent gave me a boarding pass for that plane.
Originally Posted by Myrna Blyth
He looked at my boarding pass and told me it was no good. It didn’t, he said, have a ticket attached. Huh? But it was the boarding pass given me by the airline.
This part I don't understand. Why does she need the ticket attached for a new boarding pass? (The rest of the story...the parts about the bad attitudes...I understand [haven't necessarily experienced...but do understand])
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:46 am

When I was reading this, for some reason, I was expecting much more to the story. This type of *event* had happened to me on many occasions at DCA. But, I connect in PHL so this is the treatment du jour usually. Lately I've been driving since, last time, it took me about 10 hours for the 225 mile flight.

Bobette
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
US Airways hacks off author/editor/columnist. Bad move.

Myrna Blyth blasts back.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...VmNjMyOTRlNGU=
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Yep, here is the current thread on the topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837118
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sorry for the dupe.

Hard to search when people don't put keywords in their posts.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
"Bad move"? If US cared what anyone thinks about them, from popes to columnists to you and me, they'd do things differently. US doesn't think at all about the consequences of its actions. This column won't cause a ripple back at HQ. US Airways is proving that an entire corporation can be mentally ill / sociopathic.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by us2
...the agent working that desk had the first name of a famous rat from the movies.
You mean... the rat that got his buddies to attack Ernest Borgnine? I think I know the rat you mean.

It was the worst treatment I've ever suffered at the hands of an airline employee ever. Totally unwarranted and unjustified.
I used to think enough episodes like this could / would hurt an airline. No longer. Management, employees and TSA alike have computed that no matter how irrational, cruel, harrassing, threatening, etc. they get, there is no penalty.

I would love to see a mass action against US Airways (or a couple of other airlines) by their customers -- a week-long boycott or something like it. But as most people just shrug, sigh and submit, nothing will happen. There is no penalty for abuse. Passengers just keep coming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.