Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American's Gogo Wi-Fi began July 2008 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
American's Gogo Wi-Fi began July 2008 (consolidated thread)

The Original post has been copied, and older posts than the one below have been relocated to an archival thread with 2007 and 2008 posts (prior to June 18, 2010) discussing what AA's WiFi service will look like - link. Now we know, GoGo has been in service some time and is expanding.

Originally Posted by aa.com
Now you can be connected to the internet while in flight with Gogo® Inflight Wireless Internet service on select American Airlines flights. The fee based service is available on all Boeing 767-200 flights and select MD80 and 737 aircraft.

For further information on GoGo, a cellular-based system that works within ConUS, see:

AA aa.com information on GoGo LINK

AA WiFi Widget (determine if your flight will have GoGo WiFi or not) LINK

GoGo web site (you can purchase services, including 30 day passes, here) LINK

GoGo web pages specific to American Airlines LINK

Logo on GoGo equipped aircraft

American Airlines onboard technology page (WiFi, powerports, etc.) LINK

================================================== ========================

Originally Posted by MGW2000 Original Post
Subject: American Will Be First U.S. Airline to Launch AirCell’s Real-Time Broadband Connectivity

American has signed a Memorandum of Intent with AirCell to test technology to provide customers with high-speed broadband Internet access inflight in 2008.

As the first U.S. airline to launch the AirCell Broadband Service, American will provide passengers with a high-speed Internet connection, VPN access and email capabilities through Wi-Fi-enabled laptops and PDA devices.

Available in all classes for a fee, the solution will be tested on American’s Boeing 767-200 aircraft in 2008, which fly primarily transcontinental flights. If successful on B767-200 aircraft, the service could be extended to the rest of American’s domestic fleet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For information on current Gogo Inflight discounts and promotions, please see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...romotions.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; May 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm Reason: added mod note
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
American's Wi-Fi is GoGo, starts in July 2008 (AA WiFi consolidated thread)

Dancers not included. This is part of the AirCell inflight announcement made last year.

Read Walt Mossberg's column from the Wall Street Journal here.

Highlights:
  • One important caveat: Gogo is a data-only system. No voice calls allowed.
  • Gogo will launch on three American Airlines routes, likely in July. The first planes to use it will be American’s 15 Boeing 767s flying between New York and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Miami.
  • The Gogo service will cost a flat fee of $12.95 for flights of three hours or longer, and $9.95 for shorter trips. You log into Gogo as you would any commercial Internet service, registering on a special Web page.

Information / Sign up here.

Let me know ship numbers with it enabled. I'll post them here:

Last edited by jeffreyt; Jul 6, 2008 at 3:49 pm Reason: To add space for ship numbers of enabled aircraft
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:18 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Reasonable pricing. Will be flying SFO-JFK in August...have to try this out.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
AA beats WN on wi-fi introduction.

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Dancers not included. This is part of the AirCell inflight announcement made last year.

Read Walt Mossberg's column from the Wall Street Journal here.

Highlights:
  • One important caveat: Gogo is a data-only system. No voice calls allowed.
  • Gogo will launch on three American Airlines routes, likely in July. The first planes to use it will be American’s 15 Boeing 767s flying between New York and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Miami.
  • The Gogo service will cost a flat fee of $12.95 for flights of three hours or longer, and $9.95 for shorter trips. You log into Gogo as you would any commercial Internet service, registering on a special Web page.
SW was suppose to have something from a company called Row44 that will be introduced this summer on some of their planes

I guess AA will beat them to it with this information.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SDCA
SW was suppose to have something from a company called Row44 that will be introduced this summer on some of their planes

I guess AA will beat them to it with this information.
Not sure there's really any first-to-market advantage.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'm pretty exicted because I fly LAX-JFK every few weeks and have been looking for a signal and don't find them. One of these days, I'll be lucky. Anyone know what the SSID is in the test? I think the price is fair... enough to keep the super casual user off, but this should be a great revenue stream for both companies.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:30 pm

Great news as well for me on my twice a month LAX-JFK-LAX routes. Hope that it lasts longer than CONNEXION did....
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This can save me 2-3 hours of spending time putting in my expense reports and time sheets on the weekend so well worth the $ AA will charge.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was on SFO-JFK-SFO a few weeks ago and my laptop picked up several encrypted nodes w/o SSIDs, but I couldn't connect to them.

Umm...that's off the record. For the record I switched the hardware off button for my wireless before turning my laptop on

I also find the price quite reasonable and well worth the expense justification for work. I wonder if they'll have roaming agreements with T-Mobile and such to just bill those accounts. I'm also interested in seeing if they can really block VoIP (e.g. Skype, Cisco softphone) tunneled through my work's VPN.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Wow. That is great pricing. Does anyone have any idea how much bandwidth they're talking about providing to the a/c? Thank goodness they'll block VOIP (assuming, based on the above). It's bad enough listening to someone next to you on a cell phone during the entire boarding process. The thought of someone talking the entire flight is enough to make me hemorrhage.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I can't wait to try QF's version in their new 380s this November.

Though supposedly if a lot of people are using it, it's ridiculously slow...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:12 pm

If you have to turn your wireless I-net off per FCC regulartions how will this work?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Out of curiosity, how many flights are under the 3 hour number.
All times taken from the PC Timetable

LAX-JFK is all 5:45+
SFO-JFK is similar
JFK-MIA AA1165, is 3:10. MIA-JFK AA1510 is listed as 3:00, that
s going to annoy somebody.
LAX-MIA is 5:10
No SFO-MIA service on 76X.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by divilish
If you have to turn your wireless I-net off per FCC regulartions how will this work?
The plane won't crash if you're paying the airline money when you turn on your wireless card.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by ValleyAAFlyer
I also find the price quite reasonable and well worth the expense justification for work. I wonder if they'll have roaming agreements with T-Mobile and such to just bill those accounts. I'm also interested in seeing if they can really block VoIP (e.g. Skype, Cisco softphone) tunneled through my work's VPN.
Yes, will be interesting to see if it works with iPass. Probably the latency/jitter will be so bad you won't want to use VoIP even if they failed to block it... blocking ports is just one way of stopping it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.