is it safe to go to Phi Phi lsland or Phuket in July?

Subscribe
hi, all,

I am planning a one week trip to Phi Phi island with my girlfriend around July 21, 2008, however, my friend in Singapore told me that July is the monsoon reason and it could be dangerous in Phi Phi lsland or Phuket, and she suggested me to go to Bali instead.

Can anyone kindly tell me whether I should still go to Phi Phi lsland or I should change my plan and go to Bali instead. I've actually already made pretty much all the detail plan for Phi Phi lsland, but i do worry that the rainstorms and safety issues even I don't really want to change my plan.

many thx
It's by no means dangerous in Phuket or Phi Phi, unless you're foolish enough to go pootling about in a longtail boat in the middle of a raging storm, but you're taking a chance with the weather. Maybe it will be sunny, maybe it will rain nonstop, most probably you'll have clear mornings and rain in the afternoons.

There's no need to go all the way to Bali if you want better weather: east coast Thailand (eg. Ko Samui) and Malaysia (Perhentians, Redang, Tioman etc) are all at their best in July.
Quote: It's by no means dangerous in Phuket or Phi Phi, unless you're foolish enough to go pootling about in a longtail boat in the middle of a raging storm, but you're taking a chance with the weather. Maybe it will be sunny, maybe it will rain nonstop, most probably you'll have clear mornings and rain in the afternoons.

There's no need to go all the way to Bali if you want better weather: east coast Thailand (eg. Ko Samui) and Malaysia (Perhentians, Redang, Tioman etc) are all at their best in July.
hi, Jpatokal,
thank you very much for ur suggestions, I know it's impossible to predict the weather for 100%, i am just concerning whether or not it's safe to dive in the monsoon season, because I read some articles about the Maya beach in Phi Phi lsland that the wave might be too tough for diving.
thx again
Quote: I know it's impossible to predict the weather for 100%, i am just concerning whether or not it's safe to dive in the monsoon season, because I read some articles about the Maya beach in Phi Phi lsland that the wave might be too tough for diving.
Oh -- you should have said that earlier. In July, it will definitely be choppier out at sea (Phi Phi is not very sheltered) and visibility will also be poorer. Again, east coast Thailand/Malaysia would be better.

I'm surprised you're considering Bali as an alternative though, because the diving there is generally not that great. Lombok or Manado, on the other hand...
We were in Phuket in July of 2006. Although I realize it could be worse, we only experienced brief, heavy rain storms in the afternoon. It broke the heat a bit which was nice. There are boating issues as described above. Scuba/snorkel areas are more limited but Phang Nga Bay is still a great place to go.

We have been twice in February and did not see a drop of rain for 8 days either trip.
The word Monsoon simply refers to a reversal of prevaling winds.. it is not always a bad thing. I have had many happy weeks at my villa in Phuket in the middle of summer without a drop of rain..

I would feel 1 MILLION times safer in Phi Phi than I would in Bali. No one is going to try and blow you up on Phi Phi, there is little if not NO unhappy Muslim influence. Everybody there is there to Chillax, smoke some pot on the beach and enjoy themselves.

FOR WORLD CLASS AWESOME DIVING>

Go to Sipidan on Borneo. It's centrally located, SUPER cheap, and the best , clearest water anywhere. Also, well clear of usual storm tracks.
Quote: The word Monsoon simply refers to a reversal of prevaling winds.
A reversal of winds typically brings rains. The 'normal' wind pattern referring to a season of lesser rain IMO.

Quote: Go to Sipidan on Borneo. It's centrally located, SUPER cheap, and the best , clearest water anywhere. Also, well clear of usual storm tracks.
I'm not a diver but love finding a good area to explore. Thanks. When's high season there?
Re: OP. It's safe, but not advisable due to weather. Have done it before in July and the amount of overcast weather you get is noticeably greater than further north (like Bangkok & Pattaya). Would second the advice to head to the east side. Samui can be nice, though I remember it from 1995 and 1998 and would have a hard time going back given the level of development. The Perhentians in Malaysia are also really beautiful and highly recommended and at their best then.

Have also been to Bali at that time of year and it's quite nice. Also a peak time in Cairns, Australia, and the far north.
Quote: I would feel 1 MILLION times safer in Phi Phi than I would in Bali. No one is going to try and blow you up on Phi Phi, there is little if not NO unhappy Muslim influence. Everybody there is there to Chillax, smoke some pot on the beach and enjoy themselves.
Call me a pessimist, but it's a matter of time until the separatists figure out that blowing up a beach resort and killing a few farangs in the process will get them far more headlines than their current tactics of beheading tappers in the deep South. (They've already hit central Bangkok, Had Yai and Had Yai's airport.) There is little "unhappy Muslim influence" in Bali either, the bombers came from Java specifically to target foreigners and unbelievers.