Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Alliance or the End of *A?!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Lufthansa Alliance or the End of *A?!?

Given all the rumors and information on possible mergers and close co-operations between LH and airlines like BD, SN, B6 etc. do you still think that LH needs to be part of *A? LH is constantly growing (LX acquisition, B6 equity holding) and has close relationships with different airlines (OS, LO etc.). So what's the deal for LH (and for the customer) to be part of *A in future? LH could easily start an M&M alliance sooner or later. Is this the beginning of the end of *A?

I know that there are long term contracts within *A and I am aware of several arguments against such a move but I am just curious on your opinion here. Would you like to see LH quit *A and why? Why do you think LH should remain part of *A and what do they gain by this?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:11 am

valid point.
in my understanding Lh ended *A with introducing the new M&L on 1.8.2004 (?) and with launching the HON level. Both activities are fully contradictory to the partnering approach of *A:
M&L: mileage credit based on operating carrier, i.e. punishing the usage of *A marketing flights
HON: no *A relationship and value at all.

CL
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
LH leaving *A would be a great step ahead and would benefit all pax, who are flying mainly on such a new alliance. ^

However, I don't see it happen in the near future...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I think it will make sense at some point but not yet. First of all, they need a real share in the US and a big foot in the Asian market (I don't mean number of flights, shares with a major airline)

The perspective of US and UA possibly merging is really gross. I had really hoped that with the merger mania going on in the US, US Airways would finally be stranded somewhere and maybe a "decent" airline like "CO" would join instead.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
SQ does much the same with their PPS club .. so what's the beef?

Originally Posted by CubaLibre
valid point.
in my understanding Lh ended *A with introducing the new M&L on 1.8.2004 (?) and with launching the HON level. Both activities are fully contradictory to the partnering approach of *A:
M&L: mileage credit based on operating carrier, i.e. punishing the usage of *A marketing flights

CL
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:07 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

M&L: mileage credit based on operating carrier, i.e. punishing the usage of *A marketing flights.
UA has done this for some time, now.

The SQ Solitare and UA Global Services programs both predate the HON program and none of the three offer *A benefits over and above *G.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH needs *A as much as *A needs LH. LH handed the Australian market to SQ/TG and in return only has moderate competition on BKK/SIN-Europe routes. UA&AC are a major partner in the TATL market with revenue share and system integration.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:04 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I think it´s not only all about the FFP M&M. It´s more the strategy about the partner and codeshare flights on the *A network.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
From carrier perspective LH needs *A and *A needs LH (as oliver2002 nicely put it). The benefits for customers are in simplified traveling booking and having one PNR for the trip, so at least you have some security when flying between regions in case of delays/cancellations/etc. On the FFP, that is a different story, as *A has so many different programs and *G at one carrier is different then *G on another. Do I hate sometimes those situations? Yes, especially when flying North America with UA, AC or US, but then again those guys hate when they are flying LH metal as well. They are in a marriage they don't want, but need.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
No please, I have already been a "member" of an alliance headed by a carrier which started to acquire smaller airlines just for growing - but there wasn't a close partner in another continent.

The Qualiflyer Group was OK for flights ex-Europe, but there was no possibility for earning status miles on flights between other continents (except during a very short period with DL). And how the Qualiflyer Group ended, is well known. I would rather prefer to see a expansion of *A with a (reliable!) partner in Latin America - my big hope is of course the TACA-group (TA C isn't that bad).

Now all the former members of the Qualiflyer Group (except the French partners which went bankrupt or were quasi-integrated into AF) seem to come under the roof of *A anyway, while LH does not have shares in all of them (yet).
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH needs *A as much as *A needs LH. LH handed the Australian market to SQ/TG and in return only has moderate competition on BKK/SIN-Europe routes. UA&AC are a major partner in the TATL market with revenue share and system integration.
Yes LH gets a lot of feed to/from SQ & TG in particular (and NZ also) from down under. I assume it works well for them to not incur the costs of directly serving distant markets.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Just to clarify a bit:

*A allaince is bascially a matrix of contracts between the individual airlines. Yes there is a framework they adher to but each contract has it's individual little things - earning ratios for specific booking classes - code shares etc.

The real important thing from the airline's perspective is the code-sahre agreements - how much money do they get from a code share - this is the strength and the weakness of the Alliance. LH was able to pull out of Ozeania to have SQ and NZ handle the routes.

Not all flights are code shares with all partners - thus ticketing is not all seamless. The milage issue is more a general area to show unity.

Thus, in the end each airlines can make the partnership as strong or weak as possible (SQ weak - LH quite strong)

My real concenr is the quality of the new partner airlines - the allaince with CA and AI is a big concenr to me as it is a big difference in quality.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
Just to clarify a bit:

*A allaince is bascially a matrix of contracts between the individual airlines. Yes there is a framework they adher to but each contract has it's individual little things - earning ratios for specific booking classes - code shares etc.

The real important thing from the airline's perspective is the code-sahre agreements - how much money do they get from a code share - this is the strength and the weakness of the Alliance. LH was able to pull out of Ozeania to have SQ and NZ handle the routes.

Not all flights are code shares with all partners - thus ticketing is not all seamless. The milage issue is more a general area to show unity.

Thus, in the end each airlines can make the partnership as strong or weak as possible (SQ weak - LH quite strong)

My real concenr is the quality of the new partner airlines - the allaince with CA and AI is a big concenr to me as it is a big difference in quality.
AI?!?

When did that happen?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Ari
AI?!?

When did that happen?
AI has been confirmed as a future *A member. Date not given - my guess late 2009 or 2010.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
AI has been confirmed as a future *A member. Date not given - my guess late 2009 or 2010.
That's terrible!

Thanks for the heads up-- another *A ORD-FRA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.