Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Miles from my Cat

Miles from my Cat

Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Miles from my Cat

My cat has several credit cards, including the Amex HiltonHonors Platinum.

Whenever a CC offers me something for ordering an additional card for a family member, my cat gets another card. That's how he got the Amex HH Plat.

Now my cat is getting his own targeted offers.
Hilton wants him to sign up for his own card, and they'll give him 20,000 points.
He's even pre-approved.

My question is, can I get my cat to sign up for his own card, then somehow funnel the bonus miles/points to me? As of now, there's no Purina award. And he hates flying, so it should be no loss to him.

Free miles from my pet?
Surely, the cat's meow.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Bidkat
My cat has several credit cards.....

Hilton wants him to sign up for his own card, and they'll give him 20,000 points.
He's even pre-approved.

My question is, can I get my cat to sign up for his own card...?
Wait, wait! Slow down! First thing first.

Does your cat have his own SSN? If so, go for it all the way!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What's your cat's credit rating?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I don't get it.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Come on, guys!
Don't yank my tail.
Serious question here. Really.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Seriously, how can your cat get his own credit cards if he has no SSN? Credit card companies require the SSN of the primary cardholder. Moreover, any application filed "by" your cat would be fraudulent, since your cat can't legally sign the application. My answers to your questions would therefore be, "No, not legally." Of course, IANAL, I have no idea what the CC company may or may not catch, and I am neither encouraging nor discouraging this idea.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
If your cat's name is the same as yours, you could just put in your FF #s
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:52 pm

Come on, guys!
Don't yank my paw.
I am as serious as a heart attack as well.

He was able to get his credit cards so far because you signed him up as the authorized user on your own cards. He's been "surviving" on your credit rating/history, which obviously you don't mind.

Theoretically, if your cat DOES have his own SSN, there's nothing to stop you to get him his own creditcards.

Well, just a second. I think the cc application also asks for state ID. Have you got him his own state ID yet? (I don't think he will get any driver licence. His eyesight may be perfect. Can he paw through the written & road tests? What about photo? )

Age may be of concern too. If you use cat age, he will be under-aged. How old is he in human age?

To apply for a credit card in US, you need (at least):
1. a physical address.-- (checked)
2. SSN (or tax ID number) -- ??
3. 2nd ID (state-issued) -- ??
4. a signature (to sign the credit card). Would a paw-print count??

What does Cat Bidkat have? (Please don't sign him up for this suggested FT handle, yet! )

Last edited by lin821; Apr 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:04 pm
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

My older, smarter, anxiety ridden dog has credit and is protective of it. On the other hand I won't allow my little dim dog to open cards because I know she would run up her balance with reckless spending on toys, treats, trips to the bark park, cute clothes and accessories, more toys, doggie massages and pedicures.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:20 pm

My cat has received numerous credit card offers, but hasn't fallen for any of them yet.

Seriously, once a name gets on a mailing list (we ordered some cat treats in the cat's name once) the list is sold and resold and could end up just about anywhere. Tilly never gets any frequent flier offers, but she used to get solicitations from real estate agents wanting to sell her a house.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
He's even pre-approved.
Since you have signed 'him' up as an additional cardmember he has become a statistic in a marketing file so that is how you get the pre-approved offer. As soon as you try to accomplish the application it will probably get bounced when you cannot provide the key info other posters have pointed out. Of course, you could try to send it in without SSN and see if they accept it. As to sending the points to your account, try it with putting your FF number in the application. I don't know how close they look at names versus numbers, but I have used my kids' numbers on hotel stays in the past to keep activity in their account or get them past a mileage threshhold.

Surely, the cat's meow.
I believe that phrase is copyrighted by Catman!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
My dog has his own SPG Platinum card as an additional user, and did not have to have a SS# to get it. He uses it to buy gas and make purchases online. He did have a sub to the Wall Street Journal and now gets mail and calls to have a financial advisor.
It is funny to my friends who cannot even get a credit card!!

JudyJFLA
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
My dog has his own SPG Platinum card as an additional user, and did not have to have a SS# to get it....
Authorized users (or additional users) don't need SSNs since they are not the PRIMARY account holders.

What support/sustain the cats'/dogs' cards are the credit history of their masters (such as you and Bidkat), the primary cardholders, who have willingly added the pets to their own credit cards as authorized/additional users. (And swipe the credit cards on their pets' behalves. )

As for your friends who can't even get their own cards, I can only say your credit ratings obviouly outnumber them. If you like, you may give them a helping hand and add them to your cards as well. Be aware though. Your friends might not use the cards as "responsible" as your dog and your credit could be dented as a result.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Reminds me of that dog a bunch of Harvard or Princeton students got through 4 years of college 30 or 40 or more years ago. They took all his tests, did his lab work, wrote his papers, etc.

I haven't been able to come up with the right set of keywords to Google up that story yet.

PS I've cerainly racked up a bunch of miles/points through vet bills charged to our CCs.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They took all his tests, did his lab work, wrote his papers, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.