Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum card vs. renew Admirals Club / AC membership? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors

It's that time of year again to renew my admirals club membership. I use the clubs a lot, and am happy with the product -- just wish that there were clubs in more of the domestic airports I fly to.

I've heard about the Amex plat and I was just wondering what people thought about choosing between the two now that Amex has AC on their list.

Any opinions on choosing between the two would be appreciated.

Last edited by LTRS; Apr 21, 2008 at 3:09 pm Reason: spelling -- oops!
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
AC membership means that they know you are here and can alert you in the case of IRROPS. with Amex PLT, you get access to the club, but not access to the AAngels since they don't know you're in the club. Of course, with some of their abilities being taken away (with regard to domestic upgrade processing and list-adding), the perks of the AAngel access are somewhat diminished.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Huh, I've never been alerted on IRROPS by anyone at the AC. Who knew? I've certainly experienced enough IRROPS that I would appreciate this.

Great point about the AAngels though. I hadn't thought of that. They have helped me numerous times. Didn't occur to me they wouldn't if I was Amex instead of AC member.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As oneworld Emerald you already have access on some occasions. The AMEX Plat and AC offer you some different benefits - with AC membership, preemptive assistance in IRROPS, free WiFi access, access to meeting rooms (they may rent them to AMEX - I don't know,) Regus access, and perhaps a dollop of extra assistance when unexpected things happen.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you have a business amex platinum card, the base fee $395. I upgraded from a gold business card (my first year with gold was free), they gave me $100 credit to my account and extra rewards points.
In many clubs they check your info at the door, and the aangels are located upstairs. If you need assistance, it is my understanding you will get it as you are a valid entrant into the club.
If you fly on delta, continental or nwa, with the amex plat, you will gain entry into any of their clubs (with a valid same day ticket.)
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LTRS
Huh, I've never been alerted on IRROPS by anyone at the AC.
I have.

Returning from IAD, before I even got to the club the AAngel had protected me on a later connecting flight before I even knew the originating flight was being delayed by high winds. I did miss the connection, but no pain because she was proactive and I was already booked on the next flight.

That's good service.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by videomaker
I have.

Returning from IAD, before I even got to the club the AAngel had protected me on a later connecting flight before I even knew the originating flight was being delayed by high winds. I did miss the connection, but no pain because she was proactive and I was already booked on the next flight.

That's good service.
Same here (SJC). We got upgrades, but there was a screw-up on the seats. The EXP agent I spoke with said she fixed, but I didn't have confidence. When I got to the AC, one of my favorite AAngels said (even before I had given her my card to check in) "your seats were missed up, so I fixed them and reprinted your BPs. Here are the new ones."

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:01 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
preemptive assistance in IRROPS
As an EXP, shouldn't someone at the EXP desk already be doing this for you? Does the AC membership really make a difference in this regard?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:03 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by brp
but not access to the AAngels
If you're in the AC using your AMEX PLT and not an AC member, the AAngels won't help you?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
If you have a business amex platinum card, the base fee $395. I upgraded from a gold business card (my first year with gold was free), they gave me $100 credit to my account and extra rewards points.
In many clubs they check your info at the door, and the aangels are located upstairs. If you need assistance, it is my understanding you will get it as you are a valid entrant into the club.
If you fly on delta, continental or nwa, with the amex plat, you will gain entry into any of their clubs (with a valid same day ticket.)
I pretty much stick to AA although I do fly Alaska to the west coast (because I have to, living in SEA -- I really can't stand AS).

I was thinking I could use the Amex to get into other clubs when AA doesn't have one in an airport, but you're saying it's only good if I am flying on that other club's metal? Glad I asked. If that's the case I should probably stick to AC.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
I have had numerous times when AAngels have proactively protected me on delays and flights or other IRROPS. Best benefit of membership. My home airport AAngels proactively look at passenger lists for members and work on problems. They can't do that for Amex Plat folks. They don't know who they are. Amex Plat gives you access to the club and of course the AAngels will help you if you stand in line and/or speak with them, but the proactive stuff is going to be a major value add for the AC members.

Also, I noticed last week that the H/K concourse AC had an "express" line for AC members to check in to the club.

I hold an Amex Plat, but I still renewed with $$'s for AC this year, and plan on doing that next year.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Same here (SJC). We got upgrades, but there was a screw-up on the seats. The EXP agent I spoke with said she fixed, but I didn't have confidence. When I got to the AC, one of my favorite AAngels said (even before I had given her my card to check in) "your seats were missed up, so I fixed them and reprinted your BPs. Here are the new ones."
Wow, lucky you. The only AA employees who have preemptively assisted me are the TAs at SEA (my home base) because they know me since I fly so much. Now they are TRUE AAngels. If things are backed up and my connection is going to be missed they usually have an alternate flight ready for me before I even get to the TA. "Oh hi LTRS, you're not going to make your connection because of delays, so we have re-booked you" -- sometimes even on another airline. They have even booked me in F on an alternate airline when my upgrade has already gone through. I love the TAs in SEA.

I mostly use the clubs in DFW and ORD, and I have never gotten that kind of assistance or treatment there. Most of the time I do ask for any extra help they seem rather disinclined to provide any (such as protect me on a later flight when it looks like a connection will be missed). I hear about it on FT, but in reality, I have never experienced it.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You will get help from the AC staff regardless of whether you get in with an AC membership or Amex Plat. They will not pre-emptively look for problems if you get in with Amex, but in 8 years of AC membership I never had this happen even once, so not a great loss.

IMHO, Amex Plat is a far better use of the funds. You get into the clubs at Delta, Northwest, and Continental (in addition to AA), and get FHR (Fine Hotels and Resorts -- discounted rates at upscale properties with many extra benefits thrown in); all in all a lot more for only a little more than the cost of an AC membership.

The only benefit I've missed is the ability to get into the AC when flying another airline. It is rare, however, that I even have the opportunity to try this (flying SW from San Jose is one case that comes to mind).
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
I miss the WiFi. I am considering geting an AC membership in addition to the Plat. If you already have T-Mobile this isn't an issue though.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:14 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
The only benefit I've missed is the ability to get into the AC when flying another airline. It is rare, however, that I even have the opportunity to try this (flying SW from San Jose is one case that comes to mind).
And one could just purchase a refundable ticket on AA for those occasions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.