Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Effective immediately: UA domestic change fee now $150

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum / QF Platinum

Overnight (4/19), United raised their domestic change fee from $100 to $150. Apparently there was memo that came in this morning and it was "effective immediately". I am not sure what other fees have been increased.

I do not believe this is posted to their website yet.

Nice of them to sneak this one in at midnight on a Friday night. Isn't this an old White House tactic to announce bad news after the press has gone home for the weekend?

Sabe a verga!

Last edited by marinersdave; Apr 19, 2008 at 11:29 am
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
This is utter BS

UA, if you keep pulling these stunts

with AA double EQM RDM and PLAT

I might just g over.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I agree,

I dont know what UA is thinking. Do they not pay attention to the competition??

If this is the case I will make 1K and UA and then head over to DL/NW. I am sure they will love to offer me a status comp and would love my business.

I am not sure UA will learn untill they lose and lose more customers.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum / QF Platinum
I'm wondering if this is another scenario in which United is being an "industry leader" and testing the waters similar to the $25 second bag charge and perhaps the other airlines will follow suit?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I just did a fake domestic booking to read the fare rules, and sure enough.... $150 bucks was the change fee. Of all the various fees airlines charge now, the change fee, and the 15 dollar fee to ticket with a real person are among the most annoying. The change fee is one that I find the absolutely most annoying....well, at the hundred dollar and up level, at least.

We'll see if others follow suit.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by marinersdave
I'm wondering if this is another scenario in which United is being an "industry leader" and testing the waters similar to the $25 second bag charge and perhaps the other airlines will follow suit?
United can test the waters all they want...but THIS one will drown them.

The bag fees are for 'everyone else', not elites. This new fee, as their current change fee, excludes no one. If this comes to pass, I am out like Harvey Firestein.
I move to SMF in August, and if they keep this crap up, I am defecting to OneWorld and (biting my quivering bottom lip as I type this) Southwest!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 19, 2008 at 12:36 pm Reason: language
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Wow, surprising! If the other legacies match, this will be the new standard... If they don't expect this to be reversed within a week.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:14 am

If United is going to charge me $150 for making changes, then they should pay me $150 every time they make a schedule change. Absolutely ridiculous...
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I just did a fake domestic booking to read the fare rules, and sure enough.... $150 bucks was the change fee. Of all the various fees airlines charge now, the change fee, and the 15 dollar fee to ticket with a real person are among the most annoying. The change fee is one that I find the absolutely most annoying....well, at the hundred dollar and up level, at least.

We'll see if others follow suit.
Interestingly I just made a booking. The fare rules say $150 but the reservation screen shows the following as the change fee:

PenaltyCXL BY FLT DATE OR NOVALUE
NONREF/CHG100PLUSFAREDIF/

I suggest if you're booking tickets today you save a screen shot of your reservation in case you need to change your ticket and want to dispute the fee.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

The thing I don't understand is that with fuel prices being what they are why not just price tickets accordingly rather than nickel and diming their way around it. No airline will escape the fuel costs so prices have to go up. That makes sense stupid fees don't.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
My company won't like this at all. I must change 2 or 3 tix a week!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:22 am
UAL

Programs: UA
Are US carriers moving towards the European LCC model where they nickel and dime the passengers for everything?

Perhaps UA is trying encourage people to be 1K!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:22 am

What galls me most, is that it's not even incremental. Just a full on $50 jump! Are they high? It was $50 in 1999 when I worked at the UA RES Center. It was going up to $75 in 2000. Not sure when it increased to $100. This is just another example of how nickel/dime UA has become. Next up, expect ads on the tray tables, F/A's hawking Chase credit cards during flights, and 7 minute 'commercials' played in the entire cabin after take-off a la US Scareways.
United...how low will you go??? (or should I ask, how high?)

Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by UAL
Are US carriers moving towards the European LCC model where they nickel and dime the passengers for everything?
Yes.

Originally Posted by UAL
1Ks are not exempt from these change fees
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by UAL

What difference will that make? We will still have to pay a $150 fee every change we make to our non-award tickets.
The more I think about this, the angrier I get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.