Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Fare Gone) EI EUR5+taxes DUB-BOS one waybusiness (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

Although it's "gone", Aer Lingus are trying to wriggle out of about 100 bookings which were made while they were "testing" a buy-one get-one offer on their premium class fare. The offer was available for about two hours yesterday afternoon.

Originally Posted by RTE News
Aer Lingus customers who booked flights to the United States for just €5 have been told by the airline that their bookings have been cancelled....
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0417/aerlingus.html

It wouldn't wash around here
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
How did we (FT) miss that one?! Guess this is what happens when an airline drops out of a major international alliance
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:57 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Too bad we missed this one. It was also available to other destinations like LAX it seems..
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:09 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aidanc
It wouldn't wash around here
Aren't Aer Lingus so lucky that FT didn't get hold of this one !

Confirmation emails would be on their way to solicitors as we speak !
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi again,

Aer Lingus took a beating on an afternoon radio show...

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

and the Government consumer agency is looking for a meeting with the airline as a result. The publicity is not good!

and if you look at the Ryanair (Irish) homepage... "No mistake, real €5 fares". http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/?culture=IE

Last edited by aidanc; Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 pm Reason: Add Ryanair
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
What! Ugh... for all those FC PPT fares we always get posts for, I'm surprised no one on FT posted this!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It made the local pages here. This quote is interesting, as is the headline!
Airline seeks to cancel 'accidental' sale fare [SMH]
"Unfortunately yours was one of the bookings affected and this email is to notify you of cancellation of your booking and to advise no funds will be deducted from your account."

However, Irish Consumers' Association spokesman Dermot Jewell said the purchasers had a binding contract

"The offer was made, it was accepted by Aer Lingus. Consumers booked and paid to bind the contract.

"Realistically I think Aer Lingus is going to have to do something to abide by it (the booking) and to help them,' he said.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:05 am
Original Poster

And Aer Lingus rolled over...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/aerlingus.html

Originally Posted by RTE News
Aer Lingus is to offer economy class seats to all customers who booked €5 flights to the US. ...
Not the best solution where the customers were actually booking business class seats.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by aidanc
Not the best solution where the customers were actually booking business class seats.
Since AerLingus is an EU airline, they can always downgrade passengers at check-in according to EU rules and refund 75% of the ticket price, which means a refund of 3.75 EUR... not sure if the "refunded price" includes fuel surcharges and fees though.

http://europa.eu/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/d...en00010007.pdf

Last edited by ranskis; Apr 18, 2008 at 7:25 am
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
[quote]However the airline now says it believes that some customers genuinely believed that they were making a booking in economy class.[quote]

Oh, it just keeps getting better and better. They should've just stuck with, "We screwed up and we don't care."

Mike
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wish I got in on this.

Five Euros aint bad, even if it is in Y...but you know we would not accept that!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
[Fare Gone] Did anyone get the Air Lingus Business Class for 5 Euros

Just wondering if anyone was able to book the Air Lingus fare error. For two hours Wednesday morning 3550 Euros business seats sold for 5 Euros. Air Lingus is trying to not honor the error but apparently they are required to do so.

http://www.billets-a-3-550-euros-pour-5-euros.html
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Catusa
Just wondering if anyone was able to book the Air Lingus fare error. For two hours Wednesday morning 3550 Euros business seats sold for 5 Euros. Air Lingus is trying to not honor the error but apparently they are required to do so.

http://www.billets-a-3-550-euros-pour-5-euros.html

After they cancelled them all many people started complaining to the "Live line show on RTE In Ireland". Air Lingus turned around now and have said they will honor them but the folks are being pushed to the back of the A/C instead of the front. A few callers had purchased 7-10 tickets. lol.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:54 pm
2mg

There are those among us that got this deal...

But they ain't talking.

Sounds like an M. Night Shyamalan film doesn't it.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
EI makes the argument that a person should have resonably known that a 5€ business class far is not possible, especially when they advertise flights in punishment class for 250€.

However they also have said that this problem happend because "The glitch affected customers between 7.30am and 9am on Wednesday, when promotional fares on its transatlantic route were loaded onto the website accidentally."

I will use the bold part, i.e. the fact that they actualy had a promotional far of 5€ in Business Class in their system in front of the small claims court to get the difference of a regular price of a C ticket to my 5€ paid because I am not flying punishment class on EI.

I have a valid contract with EI for business class and I want to fly that.

While article 10 of EU 261/2004 as ranskis said could be used by EI, they did not, they canceled my contract with them (I have not received a phone call from EI yet to offer me a punishment class ticket) and I want what I paid for.

So I'm going to book a C class ticket and take them to court for the price difference.

And even if they do an article 10 on me, than I don't fly but at least I told that ryanair imitator that they can't just do what they want without at least one person taking the stand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.