Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the Best Fare Tracker?

Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold

So I like to fly UA metal most of the time, but sometimes I just want to jet to a popular destination on the cheap (hopefully codeshare on *A) What' s the best faretracker to use. Domestically it seems like there are a few...faretracker, expedia, all are O.K. but not great. One of these things just told me I could have saved 300 bucks on my flight to SFO for a weekend getaway and now I am very focused on tracking deals.

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
So I like to fly UA metal most of the time, but sometimes I just want to jet to a popular destination on the cheap (hopefully codeshare on *A) What' s the best faretracker to use. Domestically it seems like there are a few...faretracker, expedia, all are O.K. but not great. One of these things just told me I could have saved 300 bucks on my flight to SFO for a weekend getaway and now I am very focused on tracking deals.

Thanks!
Farecompare.com is a popular site. I like it because it'll send you email alerts when fares drop below a certain price level.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
You may get a wider range of answers in TravelBuzz but I use the ITA tool. You have to register to use it but its quick, painless, and free. Offers a good array of airlines showing you the cold hard fare and nothing else. However, it is NOT a booking engine. You go through the airline or other ticket vendor.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
What' s the best faretracker to use.
On a related note, is there a good site that tracks and emails you when a certain fare class price drops? For example, I would love to know when certain itineraries already booked into H class (for int'l mileage upgrades) have changed in price.

I've looked at Yapta, Farecompare, etc. but I don't believe they offer the ability to screen by a specific class.

Any ideas appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is not UA or even *A specific, please follow in our TravelBuzz forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:26 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
... I use the ITA tool. You have to register to use it ...
We do not require you to register with our website to use it, and in fact most users are guests.

Because you can't book with us, registering is mostly useful for customizing a few features (like the default email address to send itineraries to, etc.)
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:55 pm

I've tried Yapta a couple of times, including just recently. Even though the fare went down be several hundred dollars for the holidays, I never got a notice from Yapta. Disappointing.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by catewoman1
I've tried Yapta a couple of times, including just recently. Even though the fare went down be several hundred dollars for the holidays, I never got a notice from Yapta. Disappointing.
It might be helpful if you posted the route and airline, so people may be able to figure out why Yapta didn't catch the price drop. I assume, for example, that Yapta can't handle interline routes (2 different airlines without codeshares)

One other thing -- the alert may have gotten treated as spam by your ISP or email application. Make sure you "whitelist" email from the yapta.com domain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.