Wiki Posts
Search

Is T1 any quieter for you?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Is T1 any quieter for you?

Now that the world's most Brilliant Airline has dragged most of its pantomime out of LHR T1 and across to T5, is T1 any quieter for the rest of us?

Nigel seems to think so. I haven't had the pleasure this week. Has anyone beeen through T1 Domestic today or yesterday?

Originally Posted by bmi PR09

28 March 2008

bmi flights take off as scheduled from London Heathrow’s Terminal 1

- airline’s flight operations unaffected by Terminal 5 problems

bmi, London Heathrow’s second largest airline, is continuing to operate all flights as scheduled from its main hub at Terminal 1 despite disruption at the newly-opened Terminal 5.

Problems at Terminal 5, which opened to passengers yesterday (Thursday 27 March), have resulted in significant delay and disruption to BA flights operating from the new facility. In contrast Terminal 1, which now has 40 per cent less passengers to accommodate following BA’s move to Terminal 5, is running like clockwork as is bmi, the principal competitor to BA at Heathrow.

Nigel Turner, bmi chief executive officer, said: “Heathrow’s reputation has taken yet another blow with operational failures causing serious disruption at the brand new Terminal 5, which was built for the sole use of BA at a cost of Ł4.3 billion.

“But the fact is that BA’s problems at Terminal 5 do not mean that the whole of Heathrow is in meltdown. We and other airlines continue to operate normally from the main Heathrow central area.

“One in every eight flights at Heathrow is a bmi service and yesterday we had a punctuality record of 94 per cent flights on time, reaffirming our position as Heathrow’s most punctual British airline.”
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:30 am

As it's a Friday I will be in around 3 hours... I'll update once I get to the lounge.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
According to a colleague who passed through yesterday, T1 was an oasis of calm and quiet. Paging worldexplorer....
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: BD*G, DL G
Yesterday it was a breeze arriving at T1 international on the BD154. No queue at Immigration, nobody in the baggage hall and a very quiet arrivals concourse.The short term car park had oodles of space.

They've changed the flow around the flight connections centre when arriving from the 40+ gates - nice job done of patching the carpet together with gaffer tape!

All in all, how flying from a small provincial airport should be!

Added: the BD154 was full yesterday with BA passengers, many of whom complained when they had to pay for their cup of coffee and could not use the BAEC card for a freebie (as I presented my BD*G card).
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by worldexplorer
the BD154 was full yesterday with BA passengers, many of whom complained when they had to pay for their cup of coffee and could not use the BAEC card for a freebie (as I presented my BD*G card).
Oh dear I wonder if they'll all be on to DC trying to comp gold as a result
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A lot of business must be coming bmi's way with people trying to avoid T5 and BA ^
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trundling past yesterday, it was very odd to see the Europier stands 50% empty - just a couple of GT planes (all in white before the EZY takeover), a solitary BD Airbus and 3 BA 757's tucked around the corner at gate 40.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by worldexplorer

Added: the BD154 was full yesterday with BA passengers, many of whom complained when they had to pay for their cup of coffee and could not use the BAEC card for a freebie (as I presented my BD*G card).
They were the lucky ones. A lot of BA's victims, sorry I mean passengers, haven't been allowed to move to other airlines and are instead having to wait for BA to reaccomodate on a later BA service, even if it means a small wait of a day or two. Ouch
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It'd almost be worth chancing your arm on Virgin Trains.

I did wonder why so many people being interviewed were saying that they were being put on later flights to places like GLA. Not rebooking them on other carriers to get them to their destination is just awful.

They are going to lose so much goodwill over this fiasco. If it were me, I would never fly with them again.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Nah,
a lot of (most?) people never learn.

People will still be guided to BA because they're flights have better/more marketing, or are £3 cheaper than the alternatives...You get what you pay for but a lot of people don't want to accept this!

They'd probably sooner waste 5 hours in T5 than pay for a coffee on a punctual airline.

How much reminding do people need before they have any impetus to change their ways?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
will be into T1 on sunday and then have the joys of an in and out of T5 during the week. Handluggage throughout in any event, so looking forward to seeing the differences! - but keeping my options open for a change to *A via FRA if it looks a bit rough still on sunday...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
It'd almost be worth chancing your arm on Virgin Trains.

I did wonder why so many people being interviewed were saying that they were being put on later flights to places like GLA. Not rebooking them on other carriers to get them to their destination is just awful.

They are going to lose so much goodwill over this fiasco. If it were me, I would never fly with them again.
I wonder why anyone flies to places like Newcastle, Manchester and Leeds when trains are much quicker... even on a bad day! Unless it's for MRs of course.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: Stuff
Pretty quite here tonight. But then I guess the BD12 isn't as popular on a Friday night as it might be on other days... only for saddos like me who got stuck in London a day longer than planned!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:44 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
I was on BD 592 (LHR - MAN 18:45) last night, the departures hall was much much quieter than normal. Only 2 lanes were open at security however so the queues there were longer than usual - hope this is because they needed some extra staff in T5 rather than BAA deciding that less passengers mean less staff needed and the queues stay just as long!

Cheers, Zac
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:33 pm

It's very quiet in T1 as others have mentioned. New circuit to get to the flight connections from T2 and new security scanners but you still have to take your shoes off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.