Reload this Page >

The FT Duty Free Guide

The FT Duty Free Guide

Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
The FT Duty Free Guide

Hello, I'd like to make an index of FT duty free resources and news, and hope that you can help.

On an overall level, this topic is being discussed by FTers including its member-electred representatives at Talkboard.

Any discussion of drinks and similar purchases, duty free, is already in DiningBuzz, in this thread.

Is this a topic worth keeping updated?
I'm not sure, but if you are interested or have something to share from a recent duty free experience, please add your comments!

Some ideas:
  • Drinks -> click here
  • Fragrances and similar products
  • Jewellery, watches, precious gems & metals
    Best place to buy a new Rolex
  • Duty free v. local pricing for tobacco-related products
  • Restrictions/allowances, by airport & country
  • Tips in the 'TSA liquids & gels' era
  • Duty free electronics (gadgets, cameras, laptops, phones)
  • Mileage accumulation from duty free (PuddingGuy-style or airline FFP bonuses)
    BA
    2 BA Miles for every £1 you spend instead of £5
    QF
    1 QFF point for every $1 spent in-store (& bonus points)
  • Error deals or amazing buys
  • Links: Duty free, by airline FFP forum
  • Links: Duty free, by geographical forum
  • Links: Other mileage or destination discussion
  • Links:Other related FlyerTalk resources
    FT Talkboard (open to all FTer comment), on a Duty Free forum
    Women Travelers
  • Links: News, articles or other worthwhile info for travel destinations and Duty free

Last edited by BiziBB; Mar 17, 2008 at 9:48 pm
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Index of existing information

Please let me know where there is already good info on the topic and I will update this list.

[Moderators: advice appreciated if some of this is irrelevant and requires improvement or removal. This thread is intended to link discussion to where it belongs, in the appropriate forums, rather than have it all here, but allow anyone interested to find current info quickly.]

Existing topics on FT (just reply of PM so I can add relevant discussion):

Last edited by BiziBB; Mar 18, 2008 at 1:29 am
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Electronics:
SYD is uncompetitive with mainstream retailers, though some sale items may appear tempting.

Items like cameras are better bought elsewhere and the tax refunded airside at the customs taxback desk.

Having shopped for a camera the afternoon prior to a trip through SYD and MEL, the normal SYD prices were generally RRP and above the generally discounted prices on fast-moving cameras like the Nikon Coolpix series.
Price of my camera was 1/3 higher than what I paid and the same or more than most George St retailers.

I could only recommend shopping in SYD DF while drunk.
Fortunately, most of the time there will be some kind of alcohol pushing, so the shop knows this is the case too.
Not much aside from drinks was selling, despite rhe inept efforts of some know-nothing sales staff. Klink, clink.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bump re. duty or tax refunds on goods bought O/S.

With the fall in the USD$ I'm wondering if there could be good buys for visitors.

Tax-free laptops? Is this an interstate-delivery-only loophole or are some states sales-tax free?
How about buying a tax-free MacBook?
Which states sell retail without sale tax - or is it only goods shipped interstate to certain states that remain tax-free?
This would benefit several FTers currently in the US, where Apple 'MBA' laptops are AUD$500 less than local prices, if the tax isn't payable.

- Perhaps some laptop sellers can arrange duty (tax) free sales to intl visitors?

Already tax-free:
Failing that, there is always the tax-free weeks in NYC (Fashion Week etc) or the outlets in tax-free states, Just a drive north of BOS, yes?

Aren't Caribbean destinations also tax free? How are they for value for watches, jewellery and similar high-end items, especially if their currency is still USD?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Transporting Duty Free items

I'll try to link a few discussions re transporting DF items.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.