Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Reston REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:36 pm
IADSIN

The Hyatt Regency Reston is located directly at Reston Town Center in Fairfax County, Virginia. It is somewhat near IAD and has a regular free shuttle van to/from IAD.

Because it is directly at Reston Town Center, there are a dozen or so restaurants within about a 1 block radius. The ground floor of the hotel has a small section with non-hotel retail shops (mobile phone store, knick knack store, and a Panera restaurant). There are a range of other retail stores within 1-2 blocks of the hotel. A movie theatre is one block away. So there is a lot to do within easy walking distance.

Because it IS a Hyatt Regency, there is a club floor and a small club room. This is not as large or nice as the Hyatt Regency SFO, but then this hotel is smaller than the Hyatt Regency SFO.

Rooms have been updated with the new Hyatt linens, pillows, and such. THere is a deck/chair and Internet access (extra cost, about $10/day) in each room. Most rooms either face west and overlook the downtown Reston area or face east towards McLean, VA and DC. Upon request at check in, the hotel will often supply a Washington Post newspaper instead of the useless USA Today.

For a light breakfast, or for coffee anytime, the Panera restaurant on ground level is the best option. It is NOT affiliated with the hotel, but it is inside the same building as the hotel. Pricing is the same as any other Panera, which is much lower than normal hotel food/beverage pricing. Panera usually has 4 different coffees on offer, kept fresh all day long. Panera's lunch/dinner menu runs to soup, salad, and sandwich.

For a heavier breakfast, there is a hotel restaurant which is smallish but does a very nice job.

For a full lunch or dinner, one is best off walking to any of several nice hotels that are 1-2 blocks away. McCormick & Schmick's is very nice, for example.

Parking is free in a parking garage on the side of the hotel. Valet parking is available for an extra charge.

For more on food/retail/other within walking distance of the Hyatt Regency Reston, try the Reston Town Center web site:
<http://www.restontowncenter.com>

For runners or bicyclists, the former Washington & Old Dominion Railway has been turned into the "W&OD" walking/running/biking trail. This is trivially close to the hotel. Just ask at the front desk for directions and running routes. In winter, there is a small ice rink outside the rear of the hotel.

Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I missed the question or rant here
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:54 am

It's a review.

I stayed at the property for an FFN award stay in November. As a plat I did not have access to the RC.

Over all the hotel was nice. The rooms still had the Tube TV, no flat panels.

The Panera in ground floor worked out well for our breakfast.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:05 am

oh ok, it was hard to tell what the OP was

anyway, an FYI, this hotel doesn't have free wifi but you can get it for free in the panera bread or if you sit right in the lobby by the panera brad
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:31 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I've stayed here a few times... the Junior Suites are nice... the Prez suite is pretty big... how many people did we have in the tub
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
I've stayed here a few times... the Junior Suites are nice... the Prez suite is pretty big... how many people did we have in the tub
I got the Pres suite on an FFN no less, once

that was nothing short of amazing

I'm not sure I've ever had a Jr Suite there though
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by damon2
It's a review.
And much appreciated - this was one of the "holes" in our Flyertalk reviews of Hyatt properties
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:36 pm

Reston Hyatt Questions

I will be staying at the Reston Hyatt next week for a course and had a few questions I'm hoping someone can give me information for. I just want to get an idea before I go so I can prepare accordingly.

1. Do the rooms have microwave/refridgerators? Is there an extra charge for this or is it available at all?

2. Is there a business center with internet access at NO charge? I noticed on several sites where it is a $9.95 charge for wi-fi and I don't need it that bad but hopefully there is someplace to catch up on emails without the extra charges. I hate coming home to 100+ emails after a week.

3. What kind of charges are there for phone calls? I plan on contacting one person nightly from my room and can do so with a toll free 800 number. Does Hyatt charge per connection or are toll free calls, actually toll free?

Thanks for any information! I really appreciate it and I'm glad I found this site. It has a lot of useful information for hotel travelers!!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:06 pm

The panera down stairs has free wireless. you should be able to get it from some parts of the lobby.

There is a business center and they had some charges for printing.

Not sure about the phone charges.

There were no microwave or fridge in the room. But I am sure you can request a fridge, not sure about the microwave

Last edited by damon2; Jan 30, 2008 at 9:17 pm
Old Jan 31, 2008, 3:55 am

this is NOT a T-Mobile location either.. in other words for those of you like myself who subscribe for T-Mobile for internet at Hyatts, it doesn't do you any good here but like posted above, just go down to Panera bread or sit right outside the lobby and bingo.. it will be free

there are no fridges in the standard rooms.. now the Prez suite had one but I don't believe that they are standard in any of the rooms
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Awful Experience

I had an absolutely awful experience at the HR Reston yesterday. When I walked in, they offered a rate of $89. I took it, and offered my GP card for the points/stay credit. I asked the checkin girl three (3) times if this rate qualified for points/stay credit. She assured me 100% absolutely it will.

Upon checkout, I noticed that the * designating ineligible charges was next to the room price. When I enquired about it, a different girl said that my rate was deeply discounted due to low occupancy, and as such it would not qualify for any points/stay credit. The manager-on-duty would not come out of the back to speak with me, so I called GP from the lobby. Gold Passport then called the manager who refused to grant the stay credit. I then asked for a GP supervisor, and she (I don't know if this is true or not) said that it is ultimately up to the hotel manager whether or not guests are issued stay credit. The supervisor did, however, put 2000 points in my account for the experience.

I am still very upset that the manager failed to back up what her checkin clerk offered. Very misleading and I only got the room to get a stay credit towards FFN.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
What happened to this place? I used to be here every month for a couple of years, but hadn't been back for two years.

It just seems like it's gone downscale. RC not open on weekends, health club a sad shell of its previous state, run by completely disinterested help, sauna OTS. Oh, and a Hotwheels convention.

Of course, it may be that I'm here now after four nights at the PH DC.

Oh well, rate's a lot better...

Checkout update
The morning I left there was an envelope under the door, good for 1/2 off at the Market Place restaurant.

This was under my door after I returned from my breakfast (free with Diamond coupon). Oh, and by the way, even if I had wanted the 1/2 off the night before, the restaurant was closed for a private party.

The manager on duty seemed uninterested but eventually took 20 bucks off the bill.

Last edited by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime; May 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm Reason: Added checkout info.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
What was the health club like before? I stayed once late last year when the RC was closed over the Christmas/New Years period. They started closing the RC on weekends sometime around the end of January this year.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by VA1379
What was the health club like before?
It was a private club, but free for Diamonds. Had great trainers and very modern machines. The machines are gone, only free weights now. Plus the usual treadmills and stationary bikes.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:48 am
Suspended

Anyone have anything to say in the last year or so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.