Search

What's going on at SFO today?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What's going on at SFO today?

Seems security is a little more intense here this a.m., as they're yelling for anything with a power cord, cable, or battery to be removed from bags, as well as cell phones, electric razors, hair dryers and all electronics. In all my trips through here this is a first for me. I'm on the way to Europe and have all sorts of stuff between my two carry on bags (inverter, shortwave radio, electric razor, flashlight, phone). Forgot to take my camera out and they didn't say anything (hard to remember all the pockets I have things packed into). Good luck to anyone else coming through here this morning. At least on the AA side the checkpoints are not backed up. Don't know what it's like over on the UA side.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Possibly related to the problems at LHR

I would guess that flights to Europe today will be a nightmare - are you going through (or near) LHR? A BA 777 landed very short at LHR a few hours ago, and closed the airport for a while. At last report, one of the two runways there will be closed for a long time. The 777 is probably a write-off. No deaths, minor injuries IIRC.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...ent/index.html

No word yet on why yet. This is probably the kind of thing that will put the Kabuki theater on high-anxiety performance mode.

RFTraveler
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I'm off to the continent (not LHR or LGW).
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
could it be that the tsa is yet again taking their own (and imho, inept and stoopit) rule about lithium batteries way out of context
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
rule about lithium batteries way out of context
"....Why do I have take all these electronic items out of my carry-on?"

"....Mister, all them 'lectrik thangs got possible lidium in them....take 'em out"

God, I feel soo much safer...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goalie
could it be that the tsa is yet again taking their own (and imho, inept and stoopit) rule about lithium batteries way out of context
SFO is contractors, not TSA, isn't it? At least I'm pretty sure they were when I passed through a couple weeks ago.

They did interpret some rules differently than other airports (though this time in my favor), but they were far more pleasant and professional than what I usually deal with.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12
SFO is contractors, not TSA, isn't it? At least I'm pretty sure they were when I passed through a couple weeks ago.

They did interpret some rules differently than other airports (though this time in my favor), but they were far more pleasant and professional than what I usually deal with.
yes that is true but they do take their marching orders from the tsa-just a thought
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by donsig
"....Mister, all them 'lectrik thangs got possible lidium in them....take 'em out"
"Mam, your lithium level seems like it might be running a tad low this morning. Care to have a quick medicinal lick on my power cell?"
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by goalie
yes that is true but they do take their marching orders from the tsa-just a thought
Yup. "Team SFO" is just the TSA with a different clown costume.

Looks like they are living up to expections of idiocy. What wretched filth we have "in charge" of "security". Stupid punks.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the distinct impression that the Li+ battery restriction is FAA/DOT, not TSA. The TSA has just been "helping" out in the matter.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the distinct impression that the Li+ battery restriction is FAA/DOT, not TSA. The TSA has just been "helping" out in the matter.
emphasis mine: helping to misinterpret their own (and in this case, also the faa's/dot's) policy
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

My seatmate on the way to ORD said she was told it's a "one day test". Maybe they were only testing the AA checkpoint, or I'm sure the UA flyers would be chiming in by now.

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tom911
My seatmate on the way to ORD said she was told it's a "one day test". Maybe they were only testing the AA checkpoint, or I'm sure the UA flyers would be chiming in by now.

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD
Perhaps this craptapular agency decided to test the patience of the passengers? I wish more of them had told "Team SFO" to shove it where the sun don't shine re: all electronics out.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
I went through security at SFO several times yesterday (Jan. 16th) and experienced nothing like that.

Hopefully this all electronics out thing won't become normal policy, or maybe when I fly through U.S. in the future I'll just check everything and wear my bathrobe to the plane.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA GOLD 1MM UA 1P 1MM BIS VX ??
Same thing happened to me this morning at the AA TSA checkpoint at SFO. I use the Clear registered traveler entry line and the Clear concierge told me that it was the first time she ever heard TSA/Team SFO make an announcement that all electric items, including electric shavers, must be removed from carry-on luggage.

So now the list of stuff I have to remove includes my jacket, shoes, keys, cell phone, laptop, liquids, and electric razor. When I applied for Clear membership I was hoping that eventually some of those requirements would be waived. Well, at least the concierge helps me carry all of the unpacked items up to the scanner.

Last edited by Dr Bill SFO; Jan 17, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.