Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House (Summerfield) Miami - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:27 pm
thc
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum

I stayed at the Summerfield Suites Miami Airport for one night on January 6. This is my second Summerfield Suites stay, and I continue to be pleased. I was in a 1BR suite. There was a flat screen plasma TV in the living room and a tube TV in the bedroom. It was a very comfortable size.

I arrived too late for the Evening Social Hour and left too early for the morning Breakfast. Their airport shuttle starts at 6AM and runs every 30 min. This is actually a pet peeve of mine. It would be nice if more airport hotels recognized that a lot of people stay at airport hotels to catch an early flight. And if their shuttle had started at 5AM, I wouldn't have had to take a cab.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
In December I'll be arriving from LGA at 5.19pm and departing again to POS at 6.50pm (through booking). Would I have enough time to get out of the airport to go to Summerfield Suites and check-in for a mattress run (I won't actually stay there)?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by danger
In December I'll be arriving from LGA at 5.19pm and departing again to POS at 6.50pm (through booking). Would I have enough time to get out of the airport to go to Summerfield Suites and check-in for a mattress run (I won't actually stay there)?
You MIGHT be able to do it using a taxi that would wait while you checked in, and then would take you back. I wouldn't even try it if you're thinking of using the hotel's shuttle.

The special "challenge" to you is that you would be doing this during the heart of the commute hour (assuming a weekday). The area immediately around the SS has a LOT of traffic as commuters make their way from the Blue Lagoon office buildings (and surrounding neighborhoods and areas) to the Dolphin Expressway (State Route 836) and/or Perimeter Road (which abuts the outer edge of the airport property).

YMMV, of course.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Thanks, Non-NonRev. Some detailed advice for me to take on board.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Welcome to Hyatt House. How may I argue with you?

As a frequent Hyatt traveler, I have seen it all: good and bad. This has probably got to be my worst Hyatt experience ever. Granted, they have not been part of the Hyatt family for very long (neither has the staff), and granted most of the staff appear to be under 25, but they are in dire need of training.

I had prepaid my reservation on Hyatt.com for a king bed. When I checked in there were two desk clerks, one helping a guy in a suit and one helping me. I really scored the wrong one. The clerk helping the suit said things like, "I see you are platinum, thanks for your business" while my guy seemed to fumble around from the beginning. Probably new, I think, so I just stand there, saying nothing, waiting. He then proceeds to tell me that they upgraded me to a suite with 2 double beds. Well, I appreciate the offer, but I am alone and really just wanted a king, be it in a suite or not.

This is where it breaks down. I pull up my reservation on my phone and show the king bed and the fact that my bed type was guaranteed. He says, " but we upgraded you - you should be grateful." I should? Well, I appreciate the thought, but I just want what I reserved and paid for (in advance). "No. We are going to upgrade you. Thats what they did."

I tried to explain that a benefit of my status with Hyatt is guaranteed bed type. He says because they upgraded me, that is what I get. And thus we started going round and round. He never said, give me a second and let me see what I can do. He just keeps arguing with me. Not acceptable.

Then he whips out a "contract" for me to sign. In the 25 Hyatts I have stayed this year (including Park Hyatt's and Regencys) I have never had to sign a contract. With a highlighter he starts ticking off areas to initial and sign. "Initial your name," he says. Why? I ask. I mean, its my name - do you suddenly think I am going to change it and/or say it isn't me? "Its the law. Its a contract." Oh really? I think to myself.

Its clear to me this guy has no clue. I muddle through this the best I can (after his partner stepped in to secure my king bed). I get the keys and off to the room. This is a pretty big property and full of long, ugly, dated hallways. I felt like it would make a good scene for a horror movie.

The room is average. I was disappointed as there are no ice machines, so I had to wait for my fridge to produce them. Perhaps they could leave that feature on. Amenities were average. The bed is not a typical Hyatt bed (or at least it did not feel as such). Not 100% cleaned - some hairs on bathroom floor (I shave my head so I KNOW that they are not mine).

4am: Alarm starts blaring at max volume. Its dark. I am half asleep. The buttons are faded so I cant figure out how to turn it off. I push buttons until it stops. 4:15am: Alarm #2 starts blaring. I unplug it.

Breakfast: I always thought Hyatt House would be better than Hyatt Place but this does not seem to be the case. I added pics of the faux-eggs cheese omelet squares and mini sausages that were served. There were no knives or forks. Several of us wandered around looking, but only spoons. At 7:45am they were out. The food was luke warm. A huge disappointment.

The hotel is a good location. Free wifi. Free Parking. Maybe if staff had some better training things would have gone another direction. Personally, I would NOT stay here again.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:56 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hi, JAFU007;

I'm going to PM you directly. Thanks for making us aware with this.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I need a 2 night stay close to MIA. Any more recent updates on this property?

TIA
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Sophie, I would choose this over the HP if you want a Hyatt close to the airport. I've stayed here last month and was upgraded to the 2BR suite as the previous poster said, but with king beds. I personally don't see why that is a disadvantage compared to the 1BR but I can see it as being annoying as the receptionist did not respond by downgrading him again. Also, in some properties, you do have to sign a 'contract', that's quite normal, at least in Europe.

There was a bit of mix up when I checked in as well (the only guy on duty seemed really young and incompetent). They initially gave me a room that was not ready (windows opened, carpets and furniture out of place, some kind of hoover left on) so I had to go back down. This happened around midnight so I was really annoyed at that time after a TATL flight.

The breakfast area was really full and there was only plastic cutlery and plastic plates. All in all, that was the most disappointing part of my stay.

However, the room was well maintained so no complaints there. I only spent a night here, but two should be alright. It's nothing special but if you can get a good price I would go for it.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
crystak, thank you for the prompt response. I need a 2BR, which is why I am looking to stay here VS the HP or another brand.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can count on an upgrade, as it is Spring Break week, so planned to go ahead and book the 2BR.

tripadvisor reviews seem fairly positive, but am always most interested in FT opinons.

thanks again.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
I'm considering a one-night here between flights (albeit a year from now). surely they will get their act together within the next year. how's the breakfast compared to the HP? are there more hot options here? worthy of burning 8k points or possibly another brand's hotel instead?

edit: actually, the element and sheraton are both 4k. think i'll do that instead.

Last edited by mrredskin; Feb 27, 2013 at 7:31 am
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is the review from my blog - http://boardingarea.com/blogs/milesf...miami-airport/

Stay - Feb 2013
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I had a one-night stay at the Hyatt House MIA this week.

On arrival at MIA, I had just missed the airport shuttle, so I had to wait almost 30 minutes for the next one -- and it was full of both passengers and luggage when it arrived. Fortunately, everyone cheerfully moved around to make space for me and 3 other waiting passengers.

Check-in was a breeze. However, there was no Diamond recognition whatsoever; I was just handed my keys and pointed towards the elevator. When I specifically asked whether they do anything for Diamonds, the clerk asked me if I wanted a bigger room. Because I was just staying the night alone, I declined. But there was no amenity (no bottle of water, no points, nothing) offered.

At my previous MIA overnights (at the nearby Hilton and the adjacent Homewood Suites), I received a bottle of water and (at the Homewood Suites) a bag with a few snacks. At my previous Hyatt House stays (at the Hyatt Houses in San Jose and Santa Clara), I received gift bags with water and snacks, and in my room was a card from the GM welcoming me to the hotel. But the Hyatt House at MIA, I received none of these.

I did pick up food and water at the nearby Publix supermarket, but the lack of any Diamond recognition was disappointing. It's not clear why the TripAdvisor reviews are more positive for the Hyatt House than for the Homewood Suites. I found the rooms to be similar, and the elite recognition (even as a Hilton Gold) was better at the Homewood Suites than it was as a Diamond at the Hyatt House.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
Any recent stays at Hyatt House Miami Airport?

Reviews on tripadvisor seem to be quite positive but the few posts from above make this property seem so-so.

Anyone have any more recent stays here?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I stayed there a few months ago, had and early flight took advantaged of the free airport shuttle. I prefer the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, Hyatt House in Dania Beach or Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale.

The hotel is clean, your basic older Hyatt House, I think it's good for families. For me it's good for a 1 niter if I just need a place to sleep, but I would not stay longer. I don't think it merits the TripAdvisor ratings tho, it's just ok, not bad or not excellent.

Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
Reviews on tripadvisor seem to be quite positive but the few posts from above make this property seem so-so.

Anyone have any more recent stays here?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Cannot recommend. Renovation of common areas underway, no diamond recognition, surly staff, language barrier, and easily the worst "social hour" in the history of Summerfield Suites/Hyatt House. Breakfast was marginally better, but all served in a conference room by staff that seemed openly hostile.

Only positive I can offer is that a 2-bedroom suite is large enough for a family to spread out for the night.

Endured this as Coral Gables was sold out. Talk about Night and Day. Never again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.