ARCHIVE: MIA / Miami Admirals Clubs (master thread)

Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:47 am
Original Poster

ARCHIVE: MIA / Miami Admirals Clubs (master thread)

I'm flying to South America in business via Miami, for the first time. Is there a separate lounge for International business class travelers. If so, is it any good? Basically, I'm trying to find out the best lounge in which to spend my 3 hour layover. Thanks GRF in DC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

The AA Terminal at MIA airport is currently undergoing renovations, which has impacted the Admirals Clubs and Flagship Lounge:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
• As of Sep 29, 2010, the new Admirals Club on the 3rd Floor above Gate D-15 has opened. Open daily 4:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. Currently, it has complimentary WiFi, computers connected to the Internet, food for purchase, conference rooms for rent.
For discussions, start with this post
• The Admirals Club across from Gate D-30 is open. Daily 4:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. Currently, it has complimentary WiFi, computers connected to the Internet, food for purchase, conference rooms for rent and a children's room.

• As of Sep 28, 2010, the Concourse E Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge have closed; see below for the Premium Lounge for AA/BA/IB use in the "high E" gates.

• The new Flagship Lounge at Gate D30/37 is scheduled to open ~Spring 2011.
For information on the MIA Flagship Lounge, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

For information on the oneworld Premium lounge in terminal E, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...erminal-e.html
For photos and a review thread, please see this thread, started June 2010. This lounge is near the "high" E gates, is open 1 - 9 PM only, and has guest restrictions.

AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm Reason: E closed, D15 open
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by grf1953
I'm flying to South America in business via Miami, for the first time. Is there a separate lounge for International business class travelers. If so, is it any good? Basically, I'm trying to find out the best lounge in which to spend my 3 hour layover. Thanks GRF in DC
None that I know of. However, if you are PLT or above you can access one of the Admiral's Clubs since you are flying internationally. Concourse D lounge is newer and structurally nicer, and the E lounge is older but can be less crowded. Neither club is much to get excited about though, IMO.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by muddy
if you are PLT or above you can access one of the Admiral's Clubs since you are flying internationally
You don't need status since you are flying in business.

both clubs are very nice, although they can get little crowded in the evenings. use the one closest to your departure gate. it's a little walk between the clubs.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by nacirema; Jan 7, 2008 at 6:53 am
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by nacirema
You don't need status since you are flying in business....
when did that policy come into effect?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:16 am

when did that policy come into effect?
afaik, from day 1. i believe that was the original idea, create an oasis for premium paying passengers. only later did membership, status come into play.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...onalPassengers
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by nacirema
afaik, from day 1. i believe that was the original idea, create a oasis for premium paying passengers. only later did membership, status came into play.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...onalPassengers
interesting ... a long long time ago, I was denied entry with a premium BP (was told premium didn't get you in) ... I had status, but no international connection. Since Ive never fallen outside the elite entry requirements since I never questioned it ... learn something new every day!

edit to add: now I see ... the flight wasn't transcontinental ... thanks for the learning!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:27 am

interesting ... a long long time ago, I was denied entry with a premium BP (was told premium didn't get you in) ... I had status, but no international connection. Since Ive never fallen outside the elite entry requirements since I never questioned it ... learn something new every day!
if it wasn't international itn then you were rightly denied. domestically only transcon premium paxs can use acs as long as they are on paid or award ticket [f, z, j, u inventory]. upgrades and status don't count. midcon or any other domestic premium tix does not get you in.

Last edited by nacirema; Jan 7, 2008 at 6:49 am
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Now that this discussion of AA lounge access has been muddyed up (), please allow me to direct your attention to this page of aa.com, which summarizes AA's lounge access policy, including access based on status and access based on class of service.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I prefer E.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The D club is nice, but the hallways seem kinda narrow for commercial space - they seem like narrow residential hallways. I'm actually surprised they meet code (but maybe that's a symptom of being in MIA). The E club seems a little more wide open with wider hallways. I've never been impressed with the A club; perhaps it can be improved before it reopens.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:50 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've only been in the E lounge, so I can't compare, but we found it to be nicely appointed with a bright interior and lots of little side rooms where you can look for a quiet place to sit down.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
I've only been in the E lounge, so I can't compare, but we found it to be nicely appointed with a bright interior and lots of little side rooms where you can look for a quiet place to sit down.
Yes! And that's why I think E is VASTLY superior to D. I absolutely love E, with its light, airy, Mediterranean feel and beautiful picture windows looking out on the tarmac.

By contrast, I think D is sort of an "under the sea" look. LOTS of green and turquoise. Winding passageways. I actually think it's pretty ugly. Too much green! And no natural light! When I am at an AC, I don't want to sit under fluorescent lights; I want to look outside and get some natural light before/after my long flight!

It seems that AA's 1990s AC architect was better than the 2000s AC architect...
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I've always been an E fan, even when it was outside security. D has a very impersonal feel.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn
I've always been an E fan, even when it was outside security. D has a very impersonal feel.
Well you E club fans better enjoy it while you can .. when concourse A reopens it's history.

mike
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes! And that's why I think E is VASTLY superior to D. I absolutely love E, with its light, airy, Mediterranean feel and beautiful picture windows looking out on the tarmac.

By contrast, I think D is sort of an "under the sea" look. LOTS of green and turquoise. Winding passageways. I actually think it's pretty ugly. Too much green! And no natural light! When I am at an AC, I don't want to sit under fluorescent lights; I want to look outside and get some natural light before/after my long flight!

It seems that AA's 1990s AC architect was better than the 2000s AC architect...
The D club does have windows looking oustside... at west side of the room(s) on the opposite side of the bar.
Problem is that the shades are rolled down in the afternoons because of the blazing Florida sun.

mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.