Wiki Posts
Search

A new low for the FRA RCC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM
A new low for the FRA RCC

After trying, unsuccessfully, to get online at the FRA RCC on Sunday afternoon, I asked the lounge gatekeeper if there was a problem with the wifi network. Her first response was that it was working fine. I said that I always get online without any trouble, but I couldn't get on now. She confessed that there were complaints all day about this…and then she claimed that it was an airport-wide problem about which nothing could be done. Sheesh, if they are going to make us pay for internet access, the very least they should do is make it reliable.

Complaint #2: I wanted a drink of water. All the bottles of still water in the cooler had been previously opened (the seals on the twist caps had been broken) and, from the taste of the one I tried, refilled with dirty tap water at best.

OK, so I had champagne instead…but I left thirsty for water and without having been able to check or send my email.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the more reason to go to the (mediocre) LH lounges. Sounds pretty bad.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
OK, so I had champagne instead…but I left thirsty for water and without having been able to check or send my email.
There are of course no computers in the FRA RCC. However when I was there last, I saw a stand-up Internet pay kiosk at the far end of the lounge. The insert-your-credit-card type. I thought for an airport lounge, this was a new low. Even the LHR RCC has a couple of PCs that you can sit down and use gratis.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I find it surprising that they had the gall to use such bottles for water. My experience with FRA's RCC has been consistently good.

I don't buy that it's an airport-wide problem, IMHO.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I was in the FRA RCC the other day and it was pretty lame.

Then again, my feelings were hurt because I wanted use the showers but was told only full fare F/C pax could and since I was on a Z fare, I couldn't

But despite that, the lounge just seemed crappy. I thought the ZRH *A lounge was better.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I find it surprising that they had the gall to use such bottles for water.
One of the bottles had, apparently, been re-used so many times that its label was mostly peeled (and torn) off.

Originally Posted by Wiggums
My experience with FRA's RCC has been consistently good.

I don't buy that it's an airport-wide problem, IMHO.
I agree with both of these points.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UCBeau
I was in the FRA RCC the other day and it was pretty lame.

Then again, my feelings were hurt because I wanted use the showers but was told only full fare F/C pax could and since I was on a Z fare, I couldn't

But despite that, the lounge just seemed crappy.
Wow! That's the first I've heard that you need to be full fare F or C to use the showers! Surely anyone who is entitled to enter the lounge, should be able to use the showers. Considering that UA is adding flights to FRA (such as LAX-FRA), they seriously need to enlarge the RCC.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Wow! That's the first I've heard that you need to be full fare F or C to use the showers! Surely anyone who is entitled to enter the lounge, should be able to use the showers. Considering that UA is adding flights to FRA (such as LAX-FRA), they seriously need to enlarge the RCC.
I kid you not, the RCC lounge dragons looked up my name on the manifest for 901, saw that it was a Z fare, and told me I wasn't able to use the showers because only full fare passengers could use them. Needless to say I was shocked, because I'd used the showers at LH's C class MUC lounge earlier in the year without any trouble.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tap water won't kill you. Paying for unusable internet access will.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was at FRA RCC exactly 2 weeks ago. I was really disappointed. It is just as bad some of the RCCs in the US.

I should have connected through MUC next time when I need to go to Cologne. The Senator Lounge at MUC is much better, and MUC is a much better airport for transit.

Regarding using the shower at RCC. I was handed a shower pass at IAD when flew NC to FRA on Dec. 16. I did not get to use it because I had a tight connection.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I have to agree with the thread title, re-filling water bottles is a new low for the RCC's.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:58 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Does anyone disagree that the FRA RCC (for thst matter everything UA at FRA) is one of, if not the, worst international outpost in the system?

My understanding is that there are few UA employees there and the operation is mostly run by second rate contractors?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gre
Does anyone disagree that the FRA RCC (for thst matter everything UA at FRA) is one of, if not the, worst international outpost in the system?
No disagreement here.

My understanding is that there are few UA employees there and the operation is mostly run by second rate contractors?
Seems about right. The concierges can't even do ticketing or anything else complex to a reservation at the FRA RCC.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Seems about right. The concierges can't even do ticketing or anything else complex to a reservation at the FRA RCC.
I don't get it. The only other place UA flies in Europe with as much frequency as FRA is LHR. While I prefer the London Lounge over the RCC (excluding the IFL) at LHR, when I need something the RCC agents (especially the GS agents) are willing and able to help.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:40 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Not to go too far OT, but, the thing that galls me the most at FRA is how the GAs load the planes from the back LH style. If I wanted to fly LH I'd buy a ticket from them.

Further re the RCC: last time I was there in December the liquor selection was even more pathetic than the food selection (if that's possible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.