Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/ button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others

Hi. I have booked YOW to LGA arriving 07:35. Then leaving JFK to SKB at 10:15. Never been through New York so .. help please. How do I get from LGA to JFK and should I be concerned about the short time available? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:01 am

It looks a bit tight, especially with rush hour traffic.

Here's the shuttle from LGA to JFK:
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...ct.html#lgajfk

Personally I try to avoid these types of airport transfers at all costs.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:53 am

shuttle

only 13$, takes 1 hour.

can you check in for the jfk flight beforehand?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Nice, a shuttle. Check in ahead of time? I assume I get checked in at YOW for all the flights. Hmm, do I need to get my luggage at LGA?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
do I need to get my luggage at LGA?
Yes.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Isn't there helicopter service between JFK and LGA.. or is jat just to downtown and to ewr??
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Sorry to sound negative but I think your chances of making it are slim if you have bags to check.

At LGA lately the baggage wait can range from 10mins to 55mins. Moreover, you will be travelling in peak rush hour (1hr travel time seems about right) and most airlines have a 1hr cutoff for baggage acceptance.

Best care scenario:

Arrive: 0735
At Baggage claim 0745
At taxi/bus stand 0800
At JFK check-in 0905

Cheers,
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Hmm. I guess I could go with no checked baggage.

Don't know how I got myself into this dilemna, I spoke with an agent to book it - why would he book an almost impossible connection?

I wasn't aware until reading my ticket closely of these two (separate) airports, New York to me was New York. Now I know different, but ...

I sure appreciate the help you'all are providing!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Hmm. I guess I could go with no checked baggage.

Don't know how I got myself into this dilemna, I spoke with an agent to book it - why would he book an almost impossible connection?

I wasn't aware until reading my ticket closely of these two (separate) airports, New York to me was New York. Now I know different, but ...

I sure appreciate the help you'all are providing!

I did this connection in May, but mid-afternoon and with lots of time between flights, and fully aware of the marathon. You've got several things working against you:

1. Normal morning back-up and delays at LGA even given you built in padding on your inbound flight
2. Expect at least a half-hour to get any checked bags
3. Schedule of shuttle if you decide to take it (and only US$ are accepted, no credit cards!); cab will likely be your best option but fare too will rise if you're stuck in traffic for any length of time
4. Traffic on the Freeways during morning rush hour
5. General chaos at JFK and time to make the loop to the appropriate terminal
6. Check in at JFK (what carrier, have you status, etc.)
7. Clearing security at JFK

I suggest, if you can, change the flight ex-JFK to a later one, or the one into LGA to one the night prior and book a hotel at JFK. If you made the booking in the past few hours, you can often make a change within 24-hours of booking. (BTW what carrier are you on ex-JFK, and what about the return?)

Good luck, you'll really need it. And note it could be worse, you might have booked yourself into EWR -- there are actually three major airports serving NYC!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Anybody try a taxi and Air Train option??

The fastest way to get from LGA to JFK is by taxi, unless the before mentioned shuttle bus is ready to leave. I have waited for the shuttle bus for over one hour before the correct LGA-JFK bus arrived.

One possibility is to take a taxi to the Jamacia Train station and then catch the JFK Air Train to the correct terminal. This could theoretically save time if the Van Wick and/or terminal loop is backed up.

I agree with the abover posters, this cnx is a little on the tight side. Could be impossible if the OP has no status with the JFK outbound airline.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I suggest, if you can, change the flight ex-JFK to a later one, or the one into LGA to one the night prior and book a hotel at JFK. If you made the booking in the past few hours, you can often make a change within 24-hours of booking. (BTW what carrier are you on ex-JFK, and what about the return?)

Good luck, you'll really need it. And note it could be worse, you might have booked yourself into EWR -- there are actually three major airports serving NYC!
Agree. You should really select latter flight out of JFK (if available) or don't check any bags, still be running but better chance on making it. Good luck
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by trupper999
Agree. You should really select latter flight out of JFK (if available) or don't check any bags, still be running but better chance on making it. Good luck
That is the best advice we could give you. Rush hour in NYC is the worst I have seen . I would not take any chances unless you are prepared for a mad dash without any checked luggage.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I think people are being too conservative. If the OP's flight is reasonably close to being on time, 2:40 leaves plenty of time for a LGA-JFK transfer by taxi, even with luggage. Forget the shuttle bus or any other option; take a taxi, which will cost about $30 with tip and take 20 (unlikely) to 45 (likely) minutes.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think people are being too conservative. If the OP's flight is reasonably close to being on time, 2:40 leaves plenty of time for a LGA-JFK transfer by taxi, even with luggage. Forget the shuttle bus or any other option; take a taxi, which will cost about $30 with tip and take 20 (unlikely) to 45 (likely) minutes.
Nine times out of ten the AC flights into LGA are delayed by about 20 minutes leaving Canada, then a few circle patterns so flights are usually 30 minutes late arriving. Baggage can take time too but my experience has been within fifteen minutes, so that leaves the taxi ride and the ck in deadline to deal with. There is not much time to spare at all but it is feasible.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Well, I finally got hold of the ticketing agent. He checked and got back to me saying the connection is a "legal" connection and hence "should" be doable. Also that I am "protected" if the AC flight is delayed etc. and AA will put me on next flight. Of course next flight has two stops, but at least I'd get there.

I don't really need this stress in my life so I'll look at it as an adventure and get back to all you helpful folks about how it turned out.

Now I'll go and unpack my checked luggage and see what I can get into carry on bag only. I want to tip the odds of the great adventure a little my way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.