Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG Mileage Run - Same day turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

CDG Mileage Run - Same day turnaround

Running a little short on miles this year and am considering a same day turn around MR to CDG (STL-DFW-CDG-ORD-STL). This would be my first time traveling out of North America and thus have no experience with customs. Will the customs people in France bulk at a same day turn around. In other words, would they understand the concept of a mileage run or would it raise suspicion?

Also what kind of time should one allow to clear customs at CDG to allow adequate time to make the return flight?

BTW – I did search and did not find any current information.

Thanks,
UR
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by UncleRobin
Running a little short on miles this year and am considering a same day turn around MR to CDG (STL-DFW-CDG-ORD-STL). This would be my first time traveling out of North America and thus have no experience with customs. Will the customs people in France bulk at a same day turn around. In other words, would they understand the concept of a mileage run or would it raise suspicion?

Also what kind of time should one allow to clear customs at CDG to allow adequate time to make the return flight?

Thanks,
UR
They shouldn't mind if you explain it to them, they will probably inquire as to why you're doing this though. But I don't forsee it being a problem.

As far as your turn around, how long is it?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
As far as your turn around, how long is it?
Scheduled arrive CDG - 9:50
Scheduled depart CDG - 14:20

UR
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Not enough time to make it into paris in my opinion. Shdn't have any trouble with customs.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
Not enough time to make it into paris in my opinion. Shdn't have any trouble with customs.
Canada, on the other hand, would probably have an absolute cow.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
It takes nearly an hour to go between CDG and downtown Paris, by the time you find a bus or find your way in the CDG train station if you've not been there before. Also, CDG is a big, sprawling, inefficient airport, so you need to allow time to check in etc.

But why not stay overnight a night or two and see some of Paris?

I can't recall the CDG security people ever looking at anything other than my passport; I don't think they'll care how long or short your visit is.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by UncleRobin

Thanks,
UR
You should have PLENTY of time to make transfer. You may not even have to clear Custom and PP control, but go directly to "Transit" back to AA departure counter. Check by phone with AA PLT desk-experienced agent/supervisor!!.
Admirals Club at CDG should be able to issue boarding pass or do it online.

You will NOT have enough time to go to central Paris ( what a pitty - Christmas decorations on Champ Elysses are fantastic ). Live life - take a day ( or two and enjoy this incredible city. You can stay relatively cheap in a small Montmartre, near the SacreCeur or in the Latin Quarter.

Even if you do have to clear PP control and customs - no problem with time or MR. They do not check your return ticket anyway, and in unlikely even subject comes up - no problem. PP or customs officer will probably say : Tres Chic - and smile
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by altaskier
It takes nearly an hour to go between CDG and downtown Paris, by the time you find a bus or find your way in the CDG train station if you've not been there before. Also, CDG is a big, sprawling, inefficient airport, so you need to allow time to check in etc.

But why not stay overnight a night or two and see some of Paris?

I can't recall the CDG security people ever looking at anything other than my passport; I don't think they'll care how long or short your visit is.
You are so right. They could not care less.
Btw arrival gate and departure should be close to each other at the sattelite terminal ( could even be the same gate )
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
What about FRA (Frankfurt), I'm going to do this there as well.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Essentially I just need the BIS miles to keep EXP, as it makes traveling a lot more tolerable, and CDG looked to be a good MR. It's going to be a quick trip because of time constraints and to be honest, I am a little intimidated exploring an unfamiliar location where I don't speak the language. Of course I could say that about several places I have been to in the US.

UR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.