Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Admirals Club Drink Chit / Chits / Coupon Policies (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

MODERATOR NOTE

Admirals Club policy has been revised as of October 1, 2010. As of that time:

Originally Posted by American Airlines
American will offer alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer and spirits, free of charge to customers visiting any of its domestic clubs, in addition to complimentary coffee, tea, soft drinks and juices.

Domestic clubs will offer well brand liquors, as well as beers and house wines as a complimentary service on Oct. 1. Premium liquors and wines and a selection of Amora™ fresh food items will be available for purchase in all U.S. Admirals Club lounges. Menu items vary by location, and include fresh salads, sandwiches, hot entrees and small bites. Seasonal and regional specialties are featured throughout the year, with special chef demonstrations offered at select clubs. All menu items are available to enjoy in the club or for carry-out. Customers visiting an international Admirals Club location will continue to enjoy complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages as they do today.
Premium drinks will still be sold, as well as menu items, and drink chits are still being offered to those listed below (good for premium drinks or a bottled water).

Originally Posted by JY1024
Quick answer: Drink tickets/chits are provided in the Admirals Club lounges to eligible passengers (e.g. PLT/EXP traveling on an international itinerary, non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members when pass through an Admirals Club lounge when connecting onward to a oneworld flight, F/J passengers on international itineraries).

================================================== =============

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

In addition to business class, first tickets what are drink chits at Admirals club handed out for?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2013 at 8:39 am Reason: update actual policy
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by riteshraja
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

In addition to business class, first tickets what are drink chits at Admirals club handed out for?
Drink chits are handed out only to elites or paid premium pax for international itineraries, and not for domestic F/J tickets.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Drink chits are handed out only to elites or paid premium pax for international itineraries, and not for domestic F/J tickets.
To be more precise: drink chits are issued whenever you get access to the AC for any reason OTHER than a paid membership. Such reasons can include:

1) non-AA OW Sapphire or Emerald traveling on an eligible OW-marketed, OW-operated flight departing or arriving on the same calendar day

2) AA EXP or PLT traveling on an eligible OW-marketed, OW-operated "international"* flight departing or arriving on the same calendar day

3) traveling in First or Business Class (any inventory) on an eligible OW-marketed, OW-operated "international"* flight departing or arriving on the same calendar day

4) traveling in First or Business Class (F, Z, J, U classes only) on an eligible AA non-stop transcontinental flight departing or arriving on the same calendar day

5) AMEX Platinum cardholder (question: do you have to be traveling on AA on the same calendar day?)

6) Qantas Club members traveling on QF or AA on the same calendar day.

With all of the above, you should receive drink chits.

*"International" is defined as Europe, Asia, Central/South America, India, Oceania, and Mexico City (MEX).

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 25, 2007 at 7:53 pm
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
To be more precise: drink chits are issued whenever you get access to the AC for any reason OTHER than a paid membership.
Almost

When I fly internationally, I still get access based on my paid membership (since they see this first), but I can get drink chits.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Almost

When I fly internationally, I still get access based on my paid membership (since they see this first), but I can get drink chits.

True, but the reason why you get the drink chits is not because you are a member, but rather because you are an eligible elite traveling internationally. Trust me, I've seen many people get turned away for drink chits because they were only members, not elites, traveling in Y internationally.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you show your membership card when you are eligible for access by virtue of your status. If you keep that membership card tucked away, you are more likely to be given the drink chits without having to ask for them.

The whole point of the Admirals Club is that it is a revenue-generating unit of Premium Services. That's why you have to pay for drinks. The drink chits are AA's way of calling the Admirals Clubs "Business Class lounges" as well. It essentially makes for two different lounge experiences--one for members who have to pay for drinks, and another for folks who are using the lounge as an AA/OW Business Class lounge, who get the drinks for free (as is expected across the OW network). Frankly, the paying members are lowest on the totem pole because AA doesn't get any additional revenue when they walk into a club (unlike when non-AA OW elites do), and they might be traveling on a super-cheap domestic ticket rather than a super-expensive premium-class international ticket.

So, as far as I know, people who are ONLY members and have no other reason for getting access never should receive drink chits.

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 25, 2007 at 7:55 pm
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
5) AMEX Platinum cardholder (question: do you have to be traveling on AA on the same calendar day?)
I can answer your question with regard to the same day AA flight. IME, just like with the DL, CO, & NW lounge access, the cardholder needs to have a flight that day on the airline whose lounge is being accessed.

I have AC access due to AMEX Platinum, yet have never been offered drink chits on domestic hops. Should have I been? Could you point me to where this has been mentioned?

Last edited by elron938; Nov 25, 2007 at 8:35 pm
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
[QUOTE=ESpen36;8787612]To be more precise: drink chits are issued whenever you get access to the AC for any reason OTHER than a paid membership. Such reasons can include:

1) non-AA OW Sapphire or Emerald traveling on an eligible OW-marketed, OW-operated flight departing or arriving on the same calendar day

Have you seen that in writing? I ask as a OW Emerald with BA travelling on a AA US domestic flight (eg PHL-ORD) sometimes I am given chits and sometime not.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatmac70
Have you seen that in writing? I ask as a OW Emerald with BA travelling on a AA US domestic flight (eg PHL-ORD) sometimes I am given chits and sometime not.
You have to ask for them. Some clubs (like PHL) don't have a lot of international traffic, so the AAngels are less familiar with the rules about drink chits.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
True, but the reason why you get the drink chits is not because you are a member, but rather because you are an eligible elite traveling internationally. Trust me, I've seen many people get turned away for drink chits because they were only members, not elites, traveling in Y internationally.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you show your membership card when you are eligible for access by virtue of your status. If you keep that membership card tucked away, you are more likely to be given the drink chits without having to ask for them.
Oh, I know. Hence the smiley. Strictly, I am there as a member, and the drink chits are secondary when I show my BP. So I was disagreeing in jest.

I show the card because I think it's easier. Plus, having a member card swipe helps the club. Not sure if an international elite has the same effect since there is no actual swipe, I think.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
You have to ask for them. Some clubs (like PHL) don't have a lot of international traffic, so the AAngels are less familiar with the rules about drink chits.
I do sometimes get chits and then sometimes I don’t. When they refuse the AAngel then checks on the phone with the AC in Dallas (?) and confirms that I should not get them if I am only flying domestic.
If you have anything in writing that confirms that OW emerald and sapphire is entitled to chits - I would be very grateful.
I
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
To be more precise: drink chits are issued whenever you get access to the AC for any reason OTHER than a paid membership. Such reasons can include:
5) AMEX Platinum cardholder[s]
I'll be on AA1740 in F late Tues night and getting into the AC about 9; how many chits am I eligible for?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:50 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Yes, OW elites can get them but may need to ask.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:57 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I do sometimes get chits and then sometimes I don’t. When they refuse the AAngel then checks on the phone with the AC in Dallas (?) and confirms that I should not get them if I am only flying domestic.
If you have anything in writing that confirms that OW emerald and sapphire is entitled to chits - I would be very grateful.
I
I have not seen anything written, but so far I have not had any problem getting them when I asked.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Drink Chit policy in Admiral's Club

I just dropped my AC membership in favor my AMEX Platinum card which gives access to the AC lounges, but it's made me wonder about the policy with drink chits. In the past (with my AC membership) I would rarely get chits when I checked in.

With my AMEX, its spotty. At ORD last week, I got two. JFK the week before, one. LAX twice this week, none. Is there an official policy with drink chits? Or is it as haphazard as it seems?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:00 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
You only get drink chits if on an international flight.

Sometimes they give one and sometimes they give two. If you need more you can always ask for more. I have never been refused an additional drink coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.