Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by uselessheadrest
I was under the impression that as long as they're not commercial goods, and you declare it, you can bring back whatever you want....
That's what I thought too, but I've had the thugs at YUL threaten to take away my NEXUS card for bringing back declared goods over my allotment.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flytor
Got a letter from Nexus today indicate a new membership card to all NEXUS members with enhanced security features. Need to call 1-88-281-5778, or go to enrolment centre, or go online to confirm address. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html

Received the same letter today. The new cards will contain the same high tech features as the new US passports, but I'm sure the TSA agent at PDX will still not recognize it as acceptable ID. (BTW I did post this on the TSA blog site so hope it might reach the management at PDX.)
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phedre
Next week will be my first time going through "regular" customs voluntarily - I'm bringing back a case of wine on my next trip which means I can't use the NEXUS line - at least that's what the Montreal staff told me when I called. Silly really, seeing as they have provisions there for you to declare overages.

This is gonna be painful. The customs line at YUL ALWAYS sucks on Thursday evenings.
the yul staff are simply wrong on this one! You can still use the nexus line just go to the kiosk but when you get the question about answering yes to any of the checkbox questions, answer yes. The receipt that prints out will have a code on it for the officers at exit to send you to secondary where they will deal with the wine and u can pay duty. I've done this before with dried fruit (didn't want to take any chances). My mom who is a shopper has also declared over her exemption several times this way and there has never been a problem. Of course YMMV, they always like to do things differently in la belle Provence.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: Alt E50K, Marriott (Gold)
My Nexus Registration Experience

Hello

I applied online for a Nexus card through the GOES web site https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ Took 2 weeks to get a letter to move onto the second step. I drove to the nearest Nexus office - 2 hour drive and completed the interview process.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quick turn-around time and the friendliness of the custom agents at the ground location.

Here is to hoping the traveling is as easy.

My main routes will be through YYZ or YUL. Any experience on these routes, where the Nexus machines are located would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
Originally Posted by croco
Hello

I applied online for a Nexus card through the GOES web site https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ Took 2 weeks to get a letter to move onto the second step. I drove to the nearest Nexus office - 2 hour drive and completed the interview process.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quick turn-around time and the friendliness of the custom agents at the ground location.

Here is to hoping the traveling is as easy.

My main routes will be through YYZ or YUL. Any experience on these routes, where the Nexus machines are located would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
after years of not doing this, we just applied for the family. i am glad it is pretty quick...well it should be for us, unless there is a criminal out there with my name
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Received the same letter today. The new cards will contain the same high tech features as the new US passports, but I'm sure the TSA agent at PDX will still not recognize it as acceptable ID. (BTW I did post this on the TSA blog site so hope it might reach the management at PDX.)
At LAS the other day, TSA accepted my NEXUS card as ID after studying it for a better part of a minute, while my father (in another line) was denied and had to show his passport. So YMMV.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:45 pm
ALW

If anyone's interested, I can report on the exact length of the Nexus access lane northbound at Lacolle: 58 cars.

CBSA site was and is reporting a 2hr wait, but it took 40min to get to the Nexus access point, and it seems unlikely they're processing cars on an average of 1.3min each.

=aw
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by phedre
Next week will be my first time going through "regular" customs voluntarily - I'm bringing back a case of wine on my next trip which means I can't use the NEXUS line - at least that's what the Montreal staff told me when I called. Silly really, seeing as they have provisions there for you to declare overages.
from: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...c4215-eng.html

Entering Canada
All persons entering Canada by air must complete Form E311, CBSA Declaration Card.
Proceed to the self-serve kiosk located in the Canadian inspection services area.
Stand in front of the camera to have your irises captured. Follow the prompts on the screen and complete the entry process. You will then receive a self-serve kiosk receipt.
The self-serve kiosk will direct you to the cashier for collection of duties and taxes owing, if applicable.
Proceed to the baggage claim and then to the exit. Present your self-serve kiosk receipt and the completed CBSA Declaration Card to the border services officer.
Unless you are directed to an inspection area or the cashier, you may proceed into Canada.
Declaring goods
If you are a Canadian resident returning with goods that you want to import for your own personal use, you may choose to report them by completing a CBSA Traveller Declaration Card (TDC) in advance and depositing it in the designated box located at the kiosk. Duties and taxes owed on goods that exceed your personal exemptions are automatically charged to your credit card number on file. If you do not choose the TDC option, the self-serve kiosk will refer you to the cashier to pay duties and taxes on the excess amount.
If you are a United States resident with goods to declare, you may use the NEXUS self-serve kiosk for goods that are part of your personal entitlement. If you have goods that exceed your personal entitlement, you will receive a receipt that will refer you to a cashier for payment.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by uselessheadrest
Crossed back into Canada at the Peace Arch today and the crossing guard gave everybody a leaflet stating the same thing.
strange, I crossed yesterday and got nothing. guess i'll just keep an eye on the mailbox.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
the yul staff are simply wrong on this one! You can still use the nexus line just go to the kiosk but when you get the question about answering yes to any of the checkbox questions, answer yes. The receipt that prints out will have a code on it for the officers at exit to send you to secondary where they will deal with the wine and u can pay duty. I've done this before with dried fruit (didn't want to take any chances). My mom who is a shopper has also declared over her exemption several times this way and there has never been a problem. Of course YMMV, they always like to do things differently in la belle Provence.
And the other piece of advice is that if you're only over the limit by $100-$200 - go to an agent.

Because the machine is absolute, if you're over your exemption, you're going to the cashier.

If you're only slightly over your exemption, the customs agent has discretion to waive your overage and send you on your way (2/2 for me when I've been ~$200 over the 48 hour limit)
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by schreibsman
strange, I crossed yesterday and got nothing. guess i'll just keep an eye on the mailbox.
Nothing at Peace Arch 2 weekends ago either. However, the card reader heading north was down resulting in the longest Nexus lines (and wait) I've ever experienced. The CBSA drone had to type in every card.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I had my wife and son go through enrollment yesterday and I believe they got the new cards upon enrolling, though I can't be sure. It's definitely different than mine, though I've had mine 2+ years now. Their's have the machine readable infomation on the back (similar to passports) and more details (passport number, expiry, etc.) printed on the front. No hologram though.

Have they been already isuing these for new users, or could this actually be the 'replacement'?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by sweetpete
I had my wife and son go through enrollment yesterday and I believe they got the new cards upon enrolling, though I can't be sure. It's definitely different than mine, though I've had mine 2+ years now. Their's have the machine readable infomation on the back (similar to passports) and more details (passport number, expiry, etc.) printed on the front. No hologram though.
These are not new. Not too hard to add and print new information. The ones issued in late 2002 were pretty much blank on the back except where to send the card to if found. By very late 2006, an expiration date was added. In 2008, the OCR info as you saw.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 12, 2008 at 2:05 pm Reason: corrections
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks ... I didn't think it was. I guess they don't have them ready for new enrollments. I do recall they said to expect them in the 'fall' when I crossed at Point Roberts a few weeks ago so I guess we have some time to go.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:47 pm

Nexus Experience - Blaine

I just received my conditional acceptance letter this morning. It arrived about 10 days after I sent in the application. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment, which I was able to get on Monday. (only four days) I actually had the day off today, so I decided to drive up to the Blaine office and walk in. Total time in the office (and they were busy the whole time) was only about 45 minutes...and this was with no reservation. I waited about 35 minutes to see the agents and spent about 5 minutes with the Canadian agent and 5 with the American agent. They asked the same exact questions, even though they are sitting 3 feet apart at the same desk. They do go over the regulations with you and emphasize that ANY minor infraction or thought of deception will result in the revokation of the pass. For example, if you have a jacket that isn't yours when you go through the Nexus lane and they ask you, that is grounds for them cancelling it.

As far as the new cards being issued...the Canadian agent did ask me to verify my mailing address because they would be mailing new cards in the late fall that offer more security features.

Overall, this was a pretty simple process. It was not difficult or intimidating at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.