Wiki Posts
Search

Giftcertificates.com now charges $2 per for digital delivery

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Giftcertificates.com now charges $2 per for digital delivery

Been shopping through AAshopping>to Giftcertificates.com to get their holiday shopping bonus. Made a purchase on Tuesday for $150 in Vitamin Shoppe GCs, checkout was $150 total, no fees, email delivery, etc.

Tried to get $150 today and the website is different, has a slightly more modern look and the checkout process adds a new wrinkle:

$2 PER CERTIFICATE "digital" delivery fee.

Since Vitamin Shoppe only offers GCs in $25 or $50 increments, that puts the $6 cost on $150 at 4% which with the double miles promo only gets you to break even (before and threshold bonuses). Been using GC.com for years to get a few bonus miles here and there, but looks like barring any "free delivery" offers that we won't be shopping them anymore. Looks like one more mileage earning "dip" has now closed.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There are lots of new fees. There is a product fee per physical GC in addition to the shipping and handling fee. Also a "mailing" fee for a digital GC is rather stupid.

It seem that they must have learned something from the airlines.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:38 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
And it doesn't work

My orders would not go through last nite. Tried twice, called, and the agent confirmed the new system was not accepting most orders and they were doing them manually.

So much for there new fees and enhancements.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:54 am
Suspended

I'd suggest that if you don't like the fee then don't pay it, encourage others to not pay it and let them know how much business they are not getting. In the case where you feel that you still need to pay it and the coupons are worth it, then you can see why they are charging the $2.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Maybe the message is already sinking in: I'm seeing $1 fees for email.

But: a few instances of ..umm.. sloppy syntax
and, "please install Flashplayer" ~ I don't think so.

/.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
the redemption of SuperCertificate into merchant GCs is still fee and shipping free if using standard USPS - did one this morning for a BB&B GC.

Sounds like if they persist with the higher fees, in order to minimize the fees buy one $500 SuperCertificate ($1 fee plus $1 email fee ) and then slowly redeem for merhcant GCs in whatever denomination you need at a time.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by holtju2
There are lots of new fees. There is a product fee per physical GC in addition to the shipping and handling fee. Also a "mailing" fee for a digital GC is rather stupid.

It seem that they must have learned something from the airlines.
Or the banks. Only the most arrogant or monopolistic industries would prod consumers to do things that save the entity money and then turn around and charge the consumer a premium for that.

I think in this case they're betting the domain name is so "strong" that consumers won't Google around for other options.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by alect
the redemption of SuperCertificate into merchant GCs is still fee and shipping free if using standard USPS - did one this morning for a BB&B GC.

Sounds like if they persist with the higher fees, in order to minimize the fees buy one $500 SuperCertificate ($1 fee plus $1 email fee ) and then slowly redeem for merhcant GCs in whatever denomination you need at a time.
Are you sure that shipping is free for physical GC's when purchasing with a supercertificate?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by technique
Are you sure that shipping is free for physical GC's when purchasing with a supercertificate?
Well it was for me yesterday when I bought another BB&B GC using the balance of a SuperCertificate - shipped USPS standard, cost=0.00
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Well it was for me yesterday when I bought another BB&B GC using the balance of a SuperCertificate - shipped USPS standard, cost=0.00
Did they charge a "product" fee i.e. $1 per physical GC?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Did they charge a "product" fee i.e. $1 per physical GC?
No - no other charges other than the $100 from SuperCertificate for the $100 for the GC.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
No - no other charges other than the $100 from SuperCertificate for the $100 for the GC.
Seems that supercertificates are the way to go...
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Alect you were using an old Super Certificate, right?

I wonder if GC.com is not charging the fees on old Supers, but maybe the new T&C's/website will charge for future Supers and their redemptions.

Anyone on a GC.com "mileage run" buying a new supercertificate/redeeming a new supercertificate please post any info.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Alect you were using an old Super Certificate, right?

I wonder if GC.com is not charging the fees on old Supers, but maybe the new T&C's/website will charge for future Supers and their redemptions.

Anyone on a GC.com "mileage run" buying a new supercertificate/redeeming a new supercertificate please post any info.
Well yes if old=a couple of weeks (ie pre the new site)

I don't know the same language as was there a couple of weeks back when I bought mine is still there:

What Service Fees are Charged?
The purchase a merchant gift card or a SuperCertificate includes a service fee, which covers the cost of U.S. Mail shipping, packaging, customer service, etc.

* Service fees are not assigned to merchant gift cards when a SuperCertificate is being redeemed
* Emailable merchant gift certificates are not charged a service fee.

* Emailable SuperCertificates are charged a $0.95 service fee.
* Physical SuperCertificates are charged a $1.95 service fees.
* Physical merchant gift cards are not charged a service fee.
* American Express® Gift Cheques are charged a total service fee of $12.95 and $2.75 per cheque plus applicable shipping charges for orders up to $100.
* American Express® Gift Cheques are charged a service fee of 12% and $2.75 per cheque plus applicable shipping charges for orders exceeding $100.

Shipping fees are calculated based on a maximum of 400 gift certificates and a value of $10,000 per package. Orders exceeding either amount will ship in multiple packages and will be charged accordingly. Your credit card will not be charged until your order ships from our facility

The GiftCertificates.com MasterCard® Gift Card
The GiftCertificates.com MasterCard Gift Card must be shipped via standard US Mail. A shipping fee of $1.00 will be applied to orders.
No service fees are charged until the thirteenth month from the day of purchase, whereupon a Monthly Maintenance Fee of $2.00 per month will be applied to any remaining balance, except where prohibited by law.
(my bolding)

Some of this seems inconsistent with their shipping fees - if the servcie fees cover shipping then why charge shipping fees also?

it seems pretty clear that redeeming SuperCerts into merchant gift cards does not incur a fee.

Maybe their site is just not functioning as per their own T&Cs?
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Giftcertificates.com 10% off holiday coupon

Copied from a thread I just started in S.P.A.M.:

For a limited time get 10% off online orders.

Offer code: HOLIDAY2

*Offer ends December 9, 2007. Limited to one per customer on an order of $100 or more. Offer not valid on previous
purchases, American Express® Gift Cheques, MasterCard® Products or corporate pricing. Offer is not combinable
with any other promotion or offer.

Looks like one chance to still cash in and get that GC.com dip even with the new service/delivery fees.

Be careful with AA shopping and make sure that you check the T&Cs of which ever site you use so that you get both the promotion code to work and the mall miles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.