Bucharest OTP - Turnaround possible?

Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
Bucharest OTP - Turnaround possible?

I'm thinking of doing a run to Bucharest next year - but have no real reason to stay there... and am wondering whether it's possible to do a turnaround at Bucharest airport?

I've studied the map on their airport website but it's not clear if I could avoid immigration/security entirely, and if not, whether there would be time to clear and get back airside in time to catch the same aircraft back to London?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdmaus
I'm thinking of doing a run to Bucharest next year - but have no real reason to stay there... and am wondering whether it's possible to do a turnaround at Bucharest airport?

I've studied the map on their airport website but it's not clear if I could avoid immigration/security entirely, and if not, whether there would be time to clear and get back airside in time to catch the same aircraft back to London?
If your crediting to QF, there are loads of other Euro destinations which might be both cheaper as well as easier to do on a turn around (or perhaps interesting enough to make you want to stay overnight) and still give you the >600 miles status credits.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Veteran of 4 such ones this year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...55#post8468955
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It's possible (when you have no checked luggage) -- then you just have to reclear security and head to the gate itself.

Make sure not to go through passport control for that's a sure sign you have missed the (not-always-staffed-but-will-staff-as-needed) "transit" security WTMD that you must go through to go directly to the gates-area.

A lot of people here have done it many times and it generally worked just fine.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
In fact, as a QF'er you might want to consider SKG (Thessaloniki) which is <1200 and earns even more SCs. SKG often has decent I class fares. Other options include LGW-SSH @ >2400 although be aware that this is a GB Airways route and their franchise is shortly being terminated.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Aah, but OTP is in a whole different league (along with CTA)

From QF:
London - Bucharest (stop) 1312 miles Zone 3

So YVR-Roach... you've turned around in OTP?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
So YVR-Roach... you've turned around in OTP?
As I said, 4 times this year thanks to the YVR-OTP fare. Onto the same KL plane that took me from AMS each time, and 3x with the same cabin crew.

OTP is small. It can't be more than a minute to walk from the door of the farthest jetway to transit security. And of course not more than a minute to walk back. Only holdback is if the gate agents BA uses are to busy to come get you through security (a BP isn't enough for whatever reason). Most I had to wait was <5 minutes for KL's ground handling staff.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 5, 2007 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I should have guessed there would be an entire thread devoted to turnarounds and transits... :-)
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I should have guessed there would be an entire thread devoted to turnarounds and transits... :-)
There is
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
Anyone know if the OTP turnaround info from this thread are still valid?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by texasflyer4
Anyone know if the OTP turnaround info from this thread are still valid?
Yes it is, there is also a bit more in:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tinations.html

As you come off the aircraft and head towards passports, there is a side corridor which takes you to a security scan point with one member of staff (who may need rousing). You pass through that and then then you are back airside and able to go to the gate. OTP is decrepit in parts, but surprisingly efficient, so if you had to go all the way landside and back again then it should still be possible. Romania isn't in Schengen.

If you had this choice, Sofia would be better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.