Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

I'm earning miles from somebody else's international flights

Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

A couple years ago I noticed that I had earned about 2,000 miles in my Mileage Plus account for a series of flights I had not flown, all based out of a certain Midwestern city. I phoned United, concerned that if someone could earn miles for my account, they might also be able to redeem miles out of my account. UAL helped me place a password on my account so that no one could redeem miles or change my contact information without the password. They also removed the miles from my account, since I had not earned them.

I went two years without seeing additional activity from my Midwestern alter ego (I assume he has the same name as me), and then this year he takes a trip to China and another trip to Europe. I know it's the same guy, because the flights both originate out of the same city as before (and it's not a hub). I'm no longer worried about him redeeming my miles, since I have a password on the account, but I feel bad that he's flying and not getting his miles, so I call UAL again and explain the situation to them. They say there's nothing they can do to contact him, and that I can just keep the miles he's earning for me.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Is the best course of action for me just to say nothing and enjoy the miles my alter ego has earned?
Even with the password on the account, do I still run a risk of him redeeming my miles?

- R
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
No this has never happened to me. But, this is a crazy situation. Definitely feel bad for the guy. :-(

I wonder if he calls and sends in his own boarding passes if he's still getting his miles too. Hmm .. . in that case, you'd both benefit.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:32 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Unless you are really desperate for the miles I would call them again and get them taken out.
A few years ago a friend put his number in someone elses booking by mistake and got the miles and then UA found out when they did a random audit
and asked for an explanation as he had used them .
They cancelled his account and told him he could never be a member again.
he lost all his miles too.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I got a United email from their audit department recently confirming my address change for a United MP account of another person.

There be a lot of manual human mistakes in the UA system.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:36 am

Programs: united, aa, delta, chase UR, Bonvoy
if you contact me, i have a vice president at united i will get you in contact with. let me just say it is better to tell united the whole story and if they chose to do nothing...get it in writing. otherwise, they CAN AND WILL assume you have know all these years and tried to profit from a honest mistake on united's part. better to be the good guy and be bold enough to ask for some miles for being honest...rather to have your account closed and lose what was yours. [email protected]
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Smile Paging UnitedSkies...

I would advise you to contact out fellow FTer, UnitedSkies and get his take on this, if you are concerned losing your miles. At least he is a more direct link to UA for us. He's been giving us a lot of UA "insight" over the years.

Just send him a private message.@:-)
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:09 am

not limited to united

i've had similar things happen with korean air and starwood, although the problem has never repeated. most likely, the other person simply mistyped their mileage plus number on the reservation. so while a polite email to united should take care of each erroneous posting, there's a fair chance it'll keep happening until the other flyer wises up.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:15 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Can someone please post a link to sign up for this promotion?

Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lin821
I would advise you to contact out fellow FTer, UnitedSkies and get his take on this, if you are concerned losing your miles. At least he is a more direct link to UA for us. He's been giving us a lot of UA "insight" over the years.

Just send him a private message.@:-)
Real good suggestion ^ If this happened to my account, I would have done same.
I did not know FTer UnitedSkies is a UA insider. Thx for the heads-up.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Real good suggestion ^ ...
I did not know FTer UnitedSkies is a UA insider. Thx for the heads-up.
Did you read his profile and FT signature? He pretty much lay it all out there!!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest calling Mileage Plus again and talk to another agent to try to get this fixed for you. Given your appreciated honesty, I am hopeful that you will receive some help!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robsat1845
if you contact me, i have a vice president at united i will get you in contact with. let me just say it is better to tell united the whole story and if they chose to do nothing...get it in writing. otherwise, they <span class="ft_code">CAN<span class="ft_name">Guangzhou, China</span></span> AND WILL assume you have know all these years and tried to profit from a honest mistake on united's part. better to be the good guy and be bold enough to ask for some miles for being honest...rather to have your account closed and lose what was yours. [email protected]
Thanks everyone for your feedback. As much as I'd like to keep the miles and the status upgrade I got from them, I feel bad for this traveler who's flying to Asia and Europe and not getting any frequent flyer miles or perks from it.

Rob, I'm about to send you an email.

- R
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. Robsat, I'm sending you an email.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by richwalk
A couple years ago I noticed that I had earned about 2,000 miles in my Mileage Plus account for a series of flights I had not flown, all based out of a certain Midwestern city.
I nominate this for the best new FT'er first post of the year.

richwalk, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I nominate this for the best new FT'er first post of the year.

richwalk, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately, the award is reserved for Glenntwenty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.