Community
Wiki Posts
Search

couple let me sit between them

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

couple let me sit between them

I was on a flight today PVD-PHL and asked to take a middle seat in between a couple traveling together. Oddly enough they didn't move to sit together, they let me take the middle seat. It was a short flight so sitting in the middle wasn't a big deal. However, I thought it was rather odd that they didn't sit next to each other. They would talk and pass things to each other during the flight.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
They're swingers, and that was a coded invitation to join them for some fun?

If they passed things in front of me, I'd certainly arrange to sneeze juicily a time or two at the right times. Or ask them if they'd rather be more comfortable sitting adjacent to each other. Never seen a couple fail to join up under those circumstances.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
.. However, I thought it was rather odd that they didn't sit next to each other. They would talk and pass things to each other during the flight.
'Cos they wanted an aisle and a window seat and hoped that there would be no one in the middle seat... but then there was you!

Next time something like this happens, tell them that the next item they pass through to each other you will start charging them 50cents as toll-charge!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I was on a flight today PVD-PHL and asked to take a middle seat in between a couple traveling together. Oddly enough they didn't move to sit together, they let me take the middle seat. It was a short flight so sitting in the middle wasn't a big deal. However, I thought it was rather odd that they didn't sit next to each other. They would talk and pass things to each other during the flight.
I think I met that same couple about a year ago. Don't you hate it when you play Unite the Couple and you lose?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheRoadie

If they passed things in front of me, I'd certainly arrange to sneeze juicily a time or two at the right times. Or ask them if they'd rather be more comfortable sitting adjacent to each other. Never seen a couple fail to join up under those circumstances.
they were about 70 or 75, so they are old enough to be my grandparents.

Last edited by ClimbGuy; Oct 17, 2007 at 9:55 pm
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
'Cos they wanted an aisle and a window seat and hoped that there would be no one in the middle seat... but then there was you!

That part makes sense however once i ask to sit in the middle they should move so they sit next to each other.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That part makes sense however once i ask to sit in the middle they should move so they sit next to each other.
We enjoy punishing people who try that ploy and actively play "capture the armrests". @:-)
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's MUCH more fun for them to stiff the guy who they know is playing Unite the Couple, then annoy him by passing things back and forth and talking across the middle seat. The only thing more fun is driving their rental car in the left lane at 5 mph below the speed limit.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
It's MUCH more fun for them to stiff the guy who they know is playing Unite the Couple, then annoy him by passing things back and forth and talking across the middle seat. The only thing more fun is driving their rental car in the left lane at 5 mph below the speed limit.
What pissed me off about the whole this is they would pass things to each other with out saying excuse me and spoke to each other during the flight. If you want to do that sit next your partner. I'll take a middle seat any day if i can have my SO next to me.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What pissed me off about the whole this is they would pass things to each other with out saying excuse me and spoke to each other during the flight. If you want to do that sit next your partner. I'll take a middle seat any day if i can have my SO next to me.
What else would you desire? You claimed an undesirable middle seat in the expectation that one of a couple would inconvenience themselves and you would score an undeserved "upgrade" of an aisle or window seat. They called your bluff. Suck it up, or fly an airline with assigned seats.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wife and I will almost always call that bluff, even on the DEL-EWR flight. We didn't spend the whole flight talking across the guy or anything, but she wanted her window seat and I my aisle. That's the way it goes some times.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
My wife and I usually do take aisle and window in hopes no one sits in middle. However, if someone does, we rarely unite. Once in a while if we want to watch a video (DVD player), we may unite. We don't pass stuff back and forth much - but once in a while I am sure.

Unite the couple is a game you do not always win. Maybe should have looked further back when they said to take the middle seat.

Of course a real Pro would have an A BP and never need this option - unless a late connection, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Why do they have to? I would prefer window and aisle over a middle anytime. It's called first come first serve which is what you get with the cattle call boarding of WN. Saying they "should" is not right. Squatters rights!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheRoadie

Be careful! Don't tap your foot or you'll find yourself in the same cell as Senator Larry Craig.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'd be annoyed should I lose the "Unite the Couple" game, but at the same time, touche to the couple who are willing to sit apart. Win some, lose some... we've all been there on both sides of the table.

Whenever I wind up in this situation, I keep in mind that the couple chose not to be seated in the middle, more power to them... I gambled with the assumption they'd want to sit together and voluntarily picked that specific row... and lost.

Probably a bit grumpy over it, and certainly more sensitive to the back and forth passing of items. Should it annoy me enough (working on my laptop while they pass things back and forth) I'd ask if they wanted to sit together.

If they choose not to, there's little recourse except maybe ask for the FA but I don't think I have ever gotten to that point. I figure once I am in that seat, the immediate area in front of me is my personal space and I shouldn't have to be subjected to constant disruption because they want to go back and forth. I won't mind much if I wasn't doing anything, but if I were reading or working, it would be a concern.

For what it's worth, the couple "shouldn't" have to be forced to sit together... they have as much right to sit one seat apart, or an entire aircraft length, should they choose, and I certainly am not in the position to suggest the scoot together so I can get the window or aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.