Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Blackout curtains in hotel rooms: love them or hate them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat

Generally, I hate them. I like to wake up to natural light, especially if I need to adjust to a different time zone. I get confused if my alarm goes off in the morning and the room is pitch black like it's the middle of the night.

But I figure someone must love those things since 1) so many hotels have them and 2) so many hotels have housekeeping close them up tight during turndown service. Anyone?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Why don't you just leave them open?

I love 'em! I even just a hanger from the closet with pants clips to pinch them shut.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:34 am

I'm missing 'em
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:35 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
I love them. However, if I want some light I just leave them open a little and many places have the sheer curtains on a separate rod that you can close.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I love them and even carry a few small clips to make sure they stay closed.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Love them! And the idea of using a clip hanger to close them. ^
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by WineIsGood
Generally, I hate them. I like to wake up to natural light, especially if I need to adjust to a different time zone. I get confused if my alarm goes off in the morning and the room is pitch black like it's the middle of the night.

I love'em. Unfortaunately, however, I stay in too many caravansarai of the sort found at grubby oases, the sort with loud heat pumps under the window and curtains which only come down to the sill. Come "Dawn's Early Light", and the sun crawls into the room under the curtains, plumb shocking after a long day or a short night.

Now, a "Real" 5 Star Inn ought to have really good Black-Out drapes connected to the alarm which would open an inch a minute at a pre-selected time, backed up by classical music and the seductively warm rich pre-recorded voice of young woman saying: "Come on, Tom, I want you now!" to pull me from the warm embrace of sleep.....
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:06 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I love them... if I want the light, I can leave them open a bit.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by wharvey
I love them... if I want the light, I can leave them open a bit.
What he said - beating me to the punch by five minutes. Nobody forces you to close them if you don't want to.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKEbound
Why don't you just leave them open?
See my original post - housekeeping comes in while I'm gone and closes them during turndown service. When I get to my room at 11pm, I don't always remember to check if the curtains are closed because I don't notice the lack of natural light at 11pm....

According to moi, the default should be curtains open - all you blackout lovers can close them yourselves!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
What he said - beating me to the punch by five minutes. Nobody forces you to close them if you don't want to.
Unless housekeeping closes them for you...
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineIsGood
See my original post - housekeeping comes in while I'm gone and closes them during turndown service. When I get to my room at 11pm, I don't always remember to check if the curtains are closed because I don't notice the lack of natural light at 11pm.... According to moi, the default should be curtains open - all you blackout lovers can close them yourselves!
When you leave your room place the "Do Not Disturb" on the door. This works 99+% of the time for me or avoid the hotels with the turndown service.

MisterNice
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer sheer curtains (though that doens't mean the blackout can't be an option). I like to wake up with natural light. I've lived in apartments for years without installing curtains, as long as privacy isn't an issue.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I love them and even carry a few small clips to make sure they stay closed.
I love them as well and often carry a roll of heavy duty tape to seal up all the edges so I can sleep during the day (I work at night so my sleep is precious).
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MM
I love them so much I got some for my bedroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.