iPod Touch and Wifi WEP

Subscribe
I'm having trouble connecting my iPod Touch to WEP enabled networks.
When I disable WEP at the router and things are OK.
I keep getting a question about WEP Password and I never get it right answer. I've tried HEX and the Passphrase used to generate the hex.
I read something about Apple only accepting Key #1. I tried that earlier briefly and hurriedly. I should revist.
I saw some threads on the iPhone and being able to select HEX or ASCII but cant find that option on the touch.
Both networks I've tried are only 64bit encryption. Just trying to keep off the freeeloaders. Running wide open now but would like to avoid if possible.

ScottC and SpaceBass: Your must have roamed onto WEP networks. You've had no trouble inputting keys? I haven't found much on this out there.

Regards,

Scho
Quote: I'm having trouble connecting my iPod Touch to WEP enabled networks.

ScottC and SpaceBass: Your must have roamed onto WEP networks. You've had no trouble inputting keys? I haven't found much on this out there.

Regards,

Scho
Its either funny or say when one becomes this predictable, but I but you can guess what I'm gonna say

WEP, as you probably know, is flawed to the point of being more of a burden for you than protection for your network. I have not actually tried my TouchPod on a wep network yet, and not sure I'll even be on any WEP protected networks to ever find out. If your router, and all your wireless clients support it, WPA (or WPA2) is the way to go. Its considerably more secure and I'm pleased to report that the TouchPod supports it FULLY....talking full 64 character random ASCII keys (which I've typed in...not fun). If you have something that does not support WPA, there's another option... a 2nd router. and some creative wiring, but something tells me that isn't the answer you are looking for. If you just want to keep off the most basic free loaders, turn on MAC address filtering. Its not security in that it offers no encryption, but it will prevent most devices that passively scan for open networks. (I can't believe I suggested that)

In short, I guess I'd have to suggest:
try the #1 key, change it to something very simple, after all no one is going to brute force WEP when they can break it with a packet capture. Make it "hello" or "1234"

If that fails, you may have to call apple. I've found the wifi support in this thing to be very impressive for the size and price (maybe the chips are just more advanced now).

ScottC will probably have a more ellegant solution for you...but overall, I'd really suggest a $40 Buffalo wireless router with WPA2 and a good, random passphrase ... If you are going to buy songs from your touchpod then you probably want some good encryption around that data anyway.
The iPhone is just as bad with WEP networks. You can keep entering and eventually it will connect, but the speeds are SLOOOOWWWW and prone to dropping.

WPA is the way to go. Or turn off security and use MAC address filtering.
iPod 64-bit WEP
Just bought the iPod touch two days ago for my wife...

The trick to get 64-bit WEP working on a Linksys BEFW11S4 was to place a "$" dollar sign in front of the 10 hex digit WEP key #1

goofy - and I assure you this is an Apple specific issue... nothing like any other wireless product/vendor I have worked with as a networking professional