Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

2 "Changes to Award Travel" posted at delta.com, including SkyChoice restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 "Changes to Award Travel" posted at delta.com, including SkyChoice restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

Just saw the following posted at delta.com:

Changes to Award Travel

Some airline partners impose a surcharge on Award Travel redemptions for travel on their airline. These charges will be collected at the time of booking.

Also, effective December 1, 2007, SkyChoice Award Ticket Reservations will no longer be available on every Delta flight in which a seat is available for sale. SkyChoice Award Ticket Reservations will continue to be available on most Delta flights, but seats will be limited and possibly unavailable on some flights. Our SkySaver Award Ticket Reservations will remain unchanged.
I wonder how widespread the "surchage on award redemptions" is, and which airlines are affected.

As for SkyChoice, I never use it, so it doesn't affect me. Nevertheless, I think it is really unfortunate to remove that option for people, presumably on those flights where they need it the most.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:44 pm

Guess they'll have to call it a SkyLImitedChoice award from now on. I don't know of any other airline that has imposed this limitation to date. Once again, DL leads the way in "enhancements."
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:10 pm

I'm thinking 2008 China Olympics on the ATL-PVG route..... 250 000 or more miles or 15K+ a ticket.....
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Watch out fuel surcharges. This means award travel will be even less "free" than before.

This is going to make miles on Delta less valuable than miles from those airlines which do not include a fuel surcharge on award tickets in the months and years after this DL change goes live.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DlRes
I'm thinking 2008 China Olympics on the ATL-PVG route..... 250 000 or more miles or 15K+ a ticket.....
I'm thinking pretty much any busy route, such as Friday PM, DCA-ATL.

Delta. Doesn't Even List The Award
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I'm thinking pretty much any busy route, such as Friday PM, DCA-ATL.

Delta. Doesn't Even List The Award
Personally I don't think any domestic route will have the limited SkyChoice option...only BE internationally.

Just my 0.02Cents
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Personally I don't think any domestic route will have the limited SkyChoice option...only BE internationally.
Well, that's just as bad since I often take Mrs. GHF on international trips on award when I go revenue.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
This absolutely stinks and confirms my decision to drop My SkyMiles AMEX gold card in lieu of my United Mileage Plus Visa.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
That's kinda like flying to the USA for the purpose of visiting Disney World, with ORD as your arrival airport.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
That's kinda like flying to the USA for the purpose of visiting Disney World, with ORD as your arrival airport.
I was thinking the same thing. And your choices upon arrival to travel PVG-PEK aren't that great either.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
You missed the really great news, though:

Our SkySaver Award Ticket Reservations will remain unchanged.

Same great availability!

David
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by upgrader
Guess they'll have to call it a SkyLImitedChoice award from now on. I don't know of any other airline that has imposed this limitation to date. Once again, DL leads the way in "enhancements."
Not at all. NW has limited 2X availability (formerly RuleBuster, now PerkPass) for five years or better.

I take this to mean there'll be restricted availability (SkyChoice) and incredibly restricted availability (SkySaver). This is a vile devaluation. As if 250K miles for previously unrestricted business to Europe weren't insult enough.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by andymo99
As for SkyChoice, I never use it, so it doesn't affect me. Nevertheless, I think it is really unfortunate to remove that option for people, presumably on those flights where they need it the most.
Wow. This is really terrible. I know DL needs to find revenue where it can, but does it really think it is losing that much revenue to SkyChoice awards? I've never used SkyChoice before, but I always liked having the option, just in case.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Criteria

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Wow. This is really terrible. I know DL needs to find revenue where it can, but does it really think it is losing that much revenue to SkyChoice awards? I've never used SkyChoice before, but I always liked having the option, just in case.
I wonder what criteria will be used to determine when Sky Choice seats are removed from inventory for a particular flight. My guess is some sort of calculation whereby a seat who's current value (price)exceeds the value of the mileage liability needed for the Choice seat could be implemented. A factor for the liklihood of sale of that seat may be incorporated. If I am correct, Delta will have absolutely no risk in the program. Taken with the devaluation of PM status and the millions of MQM opportunities, the program is of considerably less use to me. I am extremely disappointed.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:43 pm

Most of you wont even tell the difference since you don't use SkyChoice anyway, at least that's the impression that I get from all your posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.