Search

LAN Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
LAN Pass

Questions to any LANPASS members...

I live in Buenos Aires. This year I will earn Executive Plat with AA. I was told that LAN would grant Comodoro Staus to EPs, but it seems like a risk to switch given my record of terrible customer service experiences with LAN. They are great in the air....but they rarely answer the phone and NEVER answer emails. I just wonder if that will change if I am Comodoro. Sad truth is they are great in the air but pretty third world on the ground (SCL lounge excluded).

Anybody with a lot of experience with LAN?

Gracias!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:46 pm

Wow, LAN would grant you Comodoro status like that, I never knew that because I've tried numerous times to get my AA plat status comped but have always been denied.

Anyway, I fly to Ecuador on LAN and so do most of my siblings. On air LAN is a great airline, the FA's a very attentive and go out of their way to assist anyone.

However, on the ground it's another story. From check-in agents, to customer service and reservations, it's quite frustating to deal with them.

Check in agents (especially dealing with complicated issues) do not know how to handle themselves. Eg. I was going to fly GYE-LIM-JFK on LAN using AA miles, and since I came early I wanted to fly GYE-JFK direct flight, and it took them 1/2 hour to change my itinerary.

Or the time I was flying JFK-GYE and I decided to add additional days to that itinerary, and that same day I went to the LAN fare desk and changed the departure date. When I went to ariport on the day of depature, I was told that my ticket was cancelled because I didn't show up on the original day of travel. You have no idea how many times I repeated myself, explaining to them I changed the departure date and they wouldn't believe me, and wanted to charge me a reissue fee.

I guess repeating my statement helped, that's when they decided not to charge the fee and give me a boarding pass.

Forget about the experiences with reservation or customer service, or even the LanPass desk.

Before I used to think it would be great to get Premium Silver because of the upgrades and the lower fare requirements for BC award travel to Ecuador, but after experiencing the lack of customer service focus their people have, I'm staying with AA Platinum.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Of course you are right! I was told that they will only consider status transfers for EP not Plat., but who knows if they will actually do it. I soent hours trying to get an AA credit for 2 LAN flights last month. I was told that LAN had denied the credit because the fare I flew was not eligible for mileage credit....REALLY? It was a "D" Business Class Ticket from EZE - SCL! Eventually AA just gave me the credit because LAN said call AA and AA said call LAN! It would be better to go to the LAN office and just beat my head against the sidewalk!

Originally Posted by ElvisNYC
Wow, LAN would grant you Comodoro status like that, I never knew that because I've tried numerous times to get my AA plat status comped but have always been denied.

Anyway, I fly to Ecuador on LAN and so do most of my siblings. On air LAN is a great airline, the FA's a very attentive and go out of their way to assist anyone.

However, on the ground it's another story. From check-in agents, to customer service and reservations, it's quite frustating to deal with them.

Check in agents (especially dealing with complicated issues) do not know how to handle themselves. Eg. I was going to fly GYE-LIM-JFK on LAN using AA miles, and since I came early I wanted to fly GYE-JFK direct flight, and it took them 1/2 hour to change my itinerary.

Or the time I was flying JFK-GYE and I decided to add additional days to that itinerary, and that same day I went to the LAN fare desk and changed the departure date. When I went to ariport on the day of depature, I was told that my ticket was cancelled because I didn't show up on the original day of travel. You have no idea how many times I repeated myself, explaining to them I changed the departure date and they wouldn't believe me, and wanted to charge me a reissue fee.

I guess repeating my statement helped, that's when they decided not to charge the fee and give me a boarding pass.

Forget about the experiences with reservation or customer service, or even the LanPass desk.

Before I used to think it would be great to get Premium Silver because of the upgrades and the lower fare requirements for BC award travel to Ecuador, but after experiencing the lack of customer service focus their people have, I'm staying with AA Platinum.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
I agree with all the views. Lan aren't bad in the air but definitely
substandard in most other departments. They certainly need to
improve their internet booking system in terms of credit card payments.

I have also had problems with One World RTW tickets at Lan offices in Santiago. Their 'experts' often misinterpretate the rules for reissuing these tickets and it is often easier to head to the American or Qantas offices.

I am also EXP with American but as I am unlikely to requalify for EXP
again am certainly interested in Comodoro which does offer exceptional perks.
They also have an annual qualification of 90,000 kms and 6 biz sectors which seems very attainable.

Who should I approach wrt status matching?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
I thought LAN didn't match at all? . I would very interested in getting them to match my 1K status on UA, at least to midtier. So if anyone succeeds, please let us know.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
LAN matched AA Plat to their Premium Silver

Short story: LAN matched my AA Platinum status to their Premium Silver category.

Last edited by leandrorar; Oct 6, 2007 at 10:42 pm Reason: Added AA to Platinum
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:42 pm

LAN matched AA Plat to their Premium Silver

Long story: Worst customer service I ever experienced.

Jan/11 2006: Contacted LANPASS desk in Chile and asked for the status match.

Jan/16 2006: Got a response: SCAN and email or FAX your AAdvantage paper statements to LANPASS (+562-5658983) or [email protected].

Jan/16 2006: Responded that AAdvantage only offers online statement. I changed my password at aa.com and sent them the AAdv# and new password so they could check. I also sent a print screen.

Jan/17 2006: Hello? Any update on my request?

Jan/31 2006: Hello? Second reminder. Any update?

Feb/1 2006: LAN acknowledged they received the info and will study it.

Feb/15 2006: Granted Premium Silver. "In a few days you will receive the welcome pack".

By this moment I've already flown LAN and AA and charged the miles to my AAdvantage account. As I didn't have Premium Silver on LAN, I wouldn't receive the 100% bonus miles. I continued using AAdvantage since I never received the package and I didn't know if I were going to meet 80k km if loosing the flights on JAN and FEB.

Aug/25 2006: I receive an email from the local LAN office stating they tried to deliver my welcome package twice but didn't have luck since I changed my address and didn't notify them (true). So I would have to pick up the package from their office (no big deal).

Jan/4 2007: Requested the match again. Explained that they sent the package on MAY and by that time I already started earning miles in AA since I would miss the 100% bonus. Also requested to speed up the process.

Jan/12 2007: LANPASS says it's a once in a lifetime benefit. They said that they shipped the package in a timely manner and their investigations found out I didn't receive it since I changed address without letting them know, thus I was not entitled to reentry.

Jan/12 2007: I go to LAN to get my package. I really did not care too much since I was still charging miles to AA. But the premium silver package came with 6 upgrade paper cupons that I could use in a LAN flight I was doing that month.

The package came with a welcome later from the LANPASS manager dated "Santiago, MAY 2006". This means they confirmed the match in FEB but only processed until late MAY. Half of the year.

Jan/12 2007: Answered to LAN that the package contained a letter dated May 2006, scanned and attached the signed letter to the email. Explained I could not requalify if I started earning in JUN. Requested a review.

Jan/30 2007: Reminder of my last email. Any news?

Apr/4 2007: Sent a letter to customer service copying and making complaints directly against the LANPASS manager, their lies (also attaching his signed letter to demonstrate the lie) and their lack of responses. Also CC'ed the email address from various managers and VPs from LAN to make it visible and make the LANPASS manager feel that everyone in the company was aware he was downgrading the service level they are pround of (?).

Apr/17 2007: Receive a formal email from the LANPASS manager stating he recognized the package was sent late and stating that by recognizing this situation they would extend, only as an exception, the Premium Silver category for the 2007 period. In spanish:

Señor leandrorar, como le informáramos en nuestro correo anterior, este beneficio se entrega sólo por una vez, sin embargo en señal de reconocimiento de esta situación, extenderemos, como una excepción, esta categoría hasta el 31 de marzo de 2008.
Tha category match was done immediately. I received the pack some weeks later. This year upgrade coupons are electronic, so no need to wait for the package.

Today I have 149500 EQK (K=Kilometers) with LANPASS. This means I'm qualifying for Comodoro (emerald) in my next trip, even if I fly to the nearest city.

LR

Last edited by leandrorar; Oct 6, 2007 at 10:43 pm
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:29 pm

LAN (customer) service

At this point I have to say that LAN is the best airline in Latin America, at least in the air and in some airports. LANPASS service, well, now you know the story, so you probably know what I think about it. Customer service not bad, but not as good as they could be.

LAN special service agents at the airports (mostly very nice ladies wearing red suits) are great when they know you fly LAN a lot and you talk to them with respect and always smiling. EZE LAN special service agents are the best and always go beyond.

I have heard that LAN has strong penalties for they employees when they make any discovered mistake. This causes many LAN agents to avoid helping customers. Helping a customer could end in a discovered "mistake" and could cost them a lot. Thus in many airports you will find LAN agents to be helpless or to always say no to everything.

While in LIM I received a strong and repeated NO WAY when asked to change my reservation to an hour early flight to SCL without paying the $100 penalty. I experienced similar problems in UIO and BOG.

EZE check-in agents are mixed and ask permission to the special services agent for everything except the regular check-in process.

SCL check-in agents are great and always offered to change me to the next available flight (when I arrive early) without even saying anything about the penalty. The only opportunity when I had to deal with an SCL special services agents, they were very rude.

I had a normal experience in MIA. Not bad, not beyond standard.

MEX check-in agents and supervisors always were great with solving any kind of issue and always went beyond. I have to thank them for their attention and attitude.

In the air, LAN is great. While in land, other than customer service, the biggest disadvantage with this airline is that they are very inflexible with changing dates on paid tickets.

If you change your departure date, they would require you to pay the penalty immediatly. If you have to change your flight date again, you will have to pay again. If you just don't show up and change the reservation later, in every fare with penalty, it doubles up (most of the time from USD100 to USD200). Most other airlines allow you to change the reservation many times and pay the penalty at the airport.

Adding a little pepper, as their fare structure for coach is goes from the few hundreds to various thousands (Y), it could be very difficult to change the dates of your paid ticket without paying a big fare difference.

This said, overall and for the itineraries I fly, I consider LAN the best airline in Latin America.

LR

Last edited by leandrorar; Oct 6, 2007 at 10:42 pm
Old Oct 7, 2007, 4:42 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Leandrorar, thanks for the detailed information on status match and LAN service, it's most helpful ^
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Very insightful Leandrorar.
I have just started the process of asking for a status match
for executive platinum. I was given the ger... email address.
It appears I may have got off to a flyer!
I will keep you posted.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1P, LANPASS GM
This is all very interesting to read, especially the rather consistent views herein concerning the difference between LAN in the air and LAN on the ground.

Here's a current concern that may fit into this discussion. I just flew BA from IAD to LIS, and then again from BCN to IAD--both via LHR. I was excited that this time around I could apply kms on these flights to my LANPASS account, which is at about 30,000 kms thanks to a flight last year between MIA and EZE. However, thus far LAN has only added a measly 1,871 kms to my account so far for that entire itinerary.

Is it a fight with LAN to get them to update kms? Would the BA flights somehow not be eligible for full km earning on LAN?

Thanks for anyone's input.

Brian
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:13 am

Leandrorar:

Thanks for your report on LAN ... very interesting!
Some of this is true with other airlines ... BA is very good in the air (long haul) and sometimes lousy on land (LHR) and on the phone.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: LanPass Comodoro and AA
Unhappy Lanpass Earning for British Airways flights.

Originally Posted by brimalloy
This is all very interesting to read, especially the rather consistent views herein concerning the difference between LAN in the air and LAN on the ground.

Here's a current concern that may fit into this discussion. I just flew BA from IAD to LIS, and then again from BCN to IAD--both via LHR. I was excited that this time around I could apply kms on these flights to my LANPASS account, which is at about 30,000 kms thanks to a flight last year between MIA and EZE. However, thus far LAN has only added a measly 1,871 kms to my account so far for that entire itinerary.

Is it a fight with LAN to get them to update kms? Would the BA flights somehow not be eligible for full km earning on LAN?

Thanks for anyone's input.

Brian
BA flights will not be eligible for full km earning except on certain fare classes. You may get as little as 25% of the miles flown.

I got this from Lan's website for LanPass credit on British Airways flights

First F, A 150% kms volados
Business J, I, C/D (1) 125% kms volados
Premium Economy W, T 110% kms volados
Economy Y, B, H, 100% kms volados
Disc. Economy K, L, M, N, O, R, V, G, Q, S, E, R 25% kms volados
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:38 pm

as long as u manage to switch from aa to LANPASS, i dun see the problem. AUTOMATIC UPGRADE sounds like a great deal to me.

Too bad I can only make it up to silver premium status..

i live in BA to, and LAN is THE best airline i've taken to travel to the states.

I personally hate to go thru immigration on my first stop it the us and check everything back in...

LAN makes it a lot easier for those who travel to LA alot

JFK is a totally different story now.. I do prefer AA on dat one.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: several:)
Fax/email do not work

Tried both fax and email - nada success. Anyone has any up-to-date contact details? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.