Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Airports without Convenient Public Transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

If I book a cheap airfare to wherever the deals are, but am forced to rent a car or hire a taxi at my destination airport, my travel savings are diminished. It's useful to know the airports where I'd have to spend $30 to $100 or more for round trip ground transportation, vs. say $10 or less on the bus or train.

Can we assemble a list of North American/other airports that DO NOT have 7 day, 15+-hour public bus or train service?

Here's my short list for starters.

Raleigh-Durham (RDU): no Sunday bus service, infrequent other days
Norfolk (ORF): no service at all as of 2 years ago; has it changed?
St. John's, Newfoundland (YYT): no bus or train service
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:35 pm

Depends on where you are going from your destination airport and if you mean minimum or maximum cost

For example you cannot get to London from Gatwick for under about $18 but it has 24x7 public transport. The Gatwick Express costs about $32

Heathrow would cost about $8 by Tube - but would be cheaper if you had an Oystercard and would cost $30 by Heathrow Express which you might have to take for an early morning flight costs around $30

For Stansted you could pay as low as $4 or as much as $30

"Glasgow" Prestwick to Glasgow would cost $12 - but you can get a 50% discount if you've just arrived by plane and would cost a lot less if you were going to the main local town

And what about an airport like Nottingham East Midlands where there are no major local towns nearby
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX and Dulles.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
LAX and Dulles.
IAD has a MetroBus that serviles the airport every 40 minutes and cost $3.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
IAD has a MetroBus that serviles the airport every 40 minutes and cost $3.
Hours of Operation?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Right here (I've taken it before):
http://www.wmata.com/timetables/dc/5a.pdf
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:07 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 19, 2008 at 9:59 am
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Ito
Koa
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Thanks. It's still a long/tough haul from Dulles via bus/train to Montgomery County.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Sad to say, the airport bus service in SAN is abysmal. One is apt to wait for 45+ minutes and then watch three Route 992 buses pull up one after the other. This is true from SAN to downtown, and vice versa.

I tried it twice, thinking the first time was a fluke. When I mentioned it, the driver laughed in my face. When I called the complaint line, the responder hung up on me.

I now park in an off-airport lot, or take a cab.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
LAX and Dulles.
Public transportation right on Sepulveda Blvd right at the entrance to LAX, doesn't get much more convenient than that. And shuttles between terminals as well as hotel and rental car shuttles

Dirt cheap rental cars.

EmailKid
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emailkid
Public transportation right on Sepulveda Blvd right at the entrance to LAX, doesn't get much more convenient than that.
From terminal to bus stop is a shlep. Is there an express bus to Burbank?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alanR
Depends on where you are going from your destination airport and if you mean minimum or maximum cost

For example you cannot get to London from Gatwick for under about $18 but it has 24x7 public transport. The Gatwick Express costs about $32

Heathrow would cost about $8 by Tube - but would be cheaper if you had an Oystercard and would cost $30 by Heathrow Express which you might have to take for an early morning flight costs around $30

For Stansted you could pay as low as $4 or as much as $30

"Glasgow" Prestwick to Glasgow would cost $12 - but you can get a 50% discount if you've just arrived by plane and would cost a lot less if you were going to the main local town

And what about an airport like Nottingham East Midlands where there are no major local towns nearby
I generally mean to and from a walkable central district, which has most of the attractions I'm interested in. All the London airports, and virtually all British airports must have public transit that meets my definition, even if it's more costly than my guideline due to exchange rate differentials. But Heathrow Express and Gatwick Express are too expensive for budget travelers.

Thanks for the rundown. Gatwick pops up as expensive if you're heading to London, even if you stay away from the Gatwick Express. Few discounts on the ex-Connex lines. How about Luton?

BTW, can you take London Buses all the way from Heathrow into town (using an Oystercard of course)?

Last edited by Explore; Sep 27, 2007 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Excellent! I didn't know about this. Does Washington Flyer continue to operate the more expensive West Falls Church service as well?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ito
Koa
We can probably add LIH. How about OGG to Lahaina?

I think Hawaii County public transit is almost nonexistent, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.