Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Subscribe
Since all the other threads are about should you or shouldn't you & usually get into a philosophical discussion, thought I'd post something I read in newspaper that was taken from Magellen's. It's a more specific guide by country.

REGIONAL TIPPING TIPS

Asia/the Pacific: Special care must be taken to ensure that your well-meaning gesture is not taken as insulting. If you are unsure, it is best not to tip. If possible, observe the locals and follow their lead.

Europe: Many hotels and restaurants add a service charge to the bill. In most cases, an additional tip is unnecessary. If no service charge is added to your bill, 10% is the general rule for restaurant service, and $1 per bag for a hotel porter.

Middle East/Africa: While your tip will not be seen as insulting, it may be unnecessary. Once again, the best bet is to do as the locals do.

Central/South America: Many hotels and restaurants add a service charge to the bill, and an additional tip is unnecessary. If not, 10% is the general rule for restaurant service, and the equivalent of $1 per bag for a porter.

FOREIGN TIPPING GUIDE - COUNTRY

This list is by country, and then waiter/waitress, porter, and taxi driver categories.

Argentina
W/W: 10%
P: $1
TD: Round up taxi fare or small tip

Australia
W/W: 10% in fine restaurants only
P: $2 per bag
TD: Round up

Austria
W/W: 5% plus service charge
P: $1 to $2 per bag

Bahamas
P: $1 per bag
TD: 10% (15% actual per local FTer

Belgium
W/W: 10% if no service charge

Brazil
W/W: 10% to 15%
TD: 10%

Brunei
W/W: None
P: None
TD: None

Canada
W/W: 15% ranges from 10%-20% per local FTers

Cayman Islands
W/W: 15% if no service charge

Chile
W/W: 10% in addition to service charge

China
W/W: 3% in major cities (according to local FTers; 0%)
P: $1 to $2 (according to local FTers, none)

Colombia
P: 75 cents per bag

Costa Rica

Czech Republic
W/W: 5% to 10%

Denmark

Ecuador

Egypt
W/W: 5% to 10% plus service charge

Estonia
W/W: 10-15% for restaurants (in pubs toss spare change into big shared bowl for waitresses)
P: ?
TD: ?

Fiji

Finland
TD: If you pay by credit card - none. If you pay with cash - none if you don't want to, but rounding up is acceptable to avoid hassling with coins.

France

Germany
W/W: 5% to 10% or round up plus euro or two per some FTers

Greece
W/W: 5% to 10% plus service charge

Hong Kong
W/W: 10% plus service charge if svg charge no need to add 10% per local FTer or round up

Hungary

India
P: $1 per bag (according to local FTers 50cents/bag)

Indonesia
P: 50 cents

Ireland

Israel
W/W: 12% to 15% if no service charge
TD: 12% to 15% (according to local FTers, tips included in fares; could tip but not 12-15%)

Italy
W/W: 10% plus service charge

Japan

Malaysia

Mexico
P: $1
TD: 50 cents

Morocco
W/W: Leave loose change
P: 50 cents per bag

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Oman

Peru
W/W: Up to 10% for special service
P: 75cents per bag

Philippines
P: 50 cents to $1 per bag

Poland

Portugal
W/W: 10% to 15% if no service charge

Romania
W/W: Round up bill

Russia

Samoa

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

South Africa
P: 50 cents

South Korea

Spain
W/W: 7% to 10% plus service charges

Sweden

Switzerland
W/W: Round up

Taiwan
W/W: 10% if no service charge (none according to local FTer)

Tanzania

Thailand
W/W: None see post # 32 in this thread for update by local FTer
P: None see post # 32 in this thread for update by local FTer
TD: None see post # 32 in this thread for update by local FTer

Turkey
W/W: Round up

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom
TD: 15% (according to local FTers 10% or round up to nearest pound)

USA
W/W: 15% to 20%
TD: 10% to 15%

Venezula

Vietnam
ducpham likes this.
This should be a sticky!
China
W/W: 3% in major cities
P: $1 to $2

What's with this 3%? As a Chinese, I would say no tipping is required. However, if you go to high-class hotels or places that mostly cater to foreigners, 10% tips might be preferred.
Quote: What's with this 3%? As a Chinese, I would say no tipping is required. However, if you go to high-class hotels or places that mostly cater to foreigners, 10% tips might be preferred.
Don't shoot the messenger. I just typed in all the info for the FT greater good. I'm sure there are a few minor errors here & there, but the list overall provides info that FTers are looking for - and for the most point will help to avoid all the philosophical debate & screaming that these threads usually sink. I know I could have used it on my visit to a few countries.

Cheers.
Really great job Sharon. BTW it is Brunei, so says the stamp in my passport.
Quote: This should be a sticky!
I agree.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Having tipping info all in one place is useful, but this list doesn't ring true for me. Tipping in China? If there's one place in the world where "don't tip" can be universally applied, surely it's China. Most places will refuse the tip or take it as somewhat insulting! The only tips I've ever seen in China were absolutely clueless foreigners.
And if you read the regional part at the top of the original post, it says that. "Asia/the Pacific: Special care must be taken to ensure that your well-meaning gesture is not taken as insulting. If you are unsure, it is best not to tip. If possible, observe the locals and follow their lead."

I'm assuming the 3% & the per bag is for those silly Americans who insist on tipping anyway So far the China listing is the only one that seems to be causing any controversy, so overall I think the list will be helpful for FTers & beats folk having to 'guess'. Brunei now spelled correctly.

Cheers.
Thanks for posting this, Sharon. It helps a lot to have it all in one place.
USA Today ran an article a week ago on tipping, using the Magellan information. You can see the chart online here. Here is the link to the same info on the Magellan site.
Israel
In Israel tips are included in taxi fares. One can tip as he/she likes to, but it's certainly not expected to be 12-15%.
Quote: India
$1 (~Rs.50) per bag is way too high for India. The usual expected amount to tip is around Rs.20 (~$0.50), at least for locals.
I'm a bit bemused about the differences between England, Scotland and Wales. Can't say I've ever tipped 15% to a taxi driver in the UK unless accidentally...
Quote: Can't say I've ever tipped 15% to a taxi driver in the UK unless accidentally...
Same here - and I don't think it would be expected. I would normally tip 10% or nearest round figure (even if it's slightly less than 10% - e.g., if the fare came to something like 9.20 it would be a tenner, "keep the change")

Suggestion for Sharon (if it's not too much work) - how about adding notes to list you posted if locals point out inaccuracies?

For example

TD: 15%

could become

TD: 15% (10% according to local FTers)
Quote: Suggestion for Sharon (if it's not too much work) - how about adding notes to list you posted if locals point out inaccuracies?

For example

TD: 15%

could become

TD: 15% (10% according to local FTers)
I support this idea. E.g. 10% seems to be the standard when Magellen's have had no clue. 0 to 10% would be more accurate in many cases, but there are also examples in the other direction. E.g. I would say that in Austria W/W would be expected to be more than 5% unfortunately.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  11