Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Ticket errors, corrections and "24 hour ticket mistake window" (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium

hi everyone,

I booked a flight from ORD to CLT for October last night and today while I was in the AC in STL on my way home, I realized I made a mistake on the return date and asked the AAngel what my options were. They told me i would have to pay 100 change fee in addition to the fare difference. I declined since a new set of tickets would have been cheaper. However, I called AA reservations tonight and was told that there is a 24 hour window for mistakes where you can call in and they will waive the change fee. Is this something new? The very nice reservation agent said the person at the AC (and the tarriff person she called) should have known this and was surprised they didnt esp since my pnr noted they advised me of the cost to change the ticket. This is the first of heard of this "mistake window". If this is new, how long has this been the case?

------------------------------------------------

Please see Post #16 of this thread for the internal AA policy on the ability of reservation agents to waive change fees within 24 hours of ticketing for reservation mistakes.

Originally Posted by pdog02
From the AA Res policy file on change fees:

24 Hour Itinerary Error Change Fee Waiver

Reps have requested the ability to assist customers at the first point of contact who are calling because there is a mistake on their itinerary. This usually happens once the customer receives their ITNR and can be either an AA or customer error. Effective Monday December 6, 2004 all reps will be allowed to authorize a one-time change fee waiver for customers who claim there is an error in their itinerary.

This applies to customers who advise there is a mistake in their reservation, and call within 24 hours of the first time their PNR is ticketed on the original booking or by 1159pm the following day. Voluntary changes requested by the customer do not qualify for this waiver.

Reps will be able to waive the Change Fee/Penalty for any change to the itinerary such as origin, destination, stopover, date or time. This exception can also be used to make a correction when an MSD discount was not applied. The reservation must have been created through any American Airlines booking source, including AA.com®.

Add collects and fare rules apply.

This policy applies to U.S. based Reservation Representatives and MRO who handle SPI and SJU calls. International offices please contact your RSD or leads desk for further action.

Applicable To
* Domestic and International revenue and award travel.
* AA and other airline space.
o The itinerary must include AA segments, including AA marketed codeshare flights.
o An itinerary solely on another airline is not applicable and the customer must be referred to the other airline.
* Must have been booked and ticketed via AA booking source (i.e. aa.com, Res, IVR ATO/Travel Center, AA Sales Office).
* Electronic or Paper tickets. (ETDS INFO procedures apply)

AAdvantage Applicable To
* RMA
* All Partner
* Promotional
* MilesAAver awards.
* This one time change would allow in addition to current date/time changes, a change to the origin, destination and carrier provided the customer can use the same award, otherwise a reinstatement fee would apply.
* For AA and other airline awards inventory must also be available.

AAdvantage Awards That Are Exempt From This Policy

* oneworld awards where no changes are allowed after ticketing.

Bookings That Do Not Qualify For This Exception

* Travel agency bookings including those booked through an online website (i.e Travelocity).
* Bookings that are priced at bulk/wholesale and opaque fares.
* A name change
* A change to form of payment
* Revenue Paper Tickets when the customer does not have time or is not in an AA city to have the ticket reissued.
* Change in country of origin
* Customers calling back within 24 hours after ticketing to process a rollover.

This waiver does not apply once travel has commenced.
Note, however: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-tickets.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Sep 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I didn't realize there was an official 24hr window (I know DL tried this at one point), but I've always been successful in changing tickets without a fee if I do so before they have ticketed, while they are still listed as "purchased." Not sure how I would have fared if the ticket had been ticketed but I was within 24hrs.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The agent was wrong; there is no mistake window. If you have purchased a ticket which has not yet been "ticketed," AA is pretty good about letting you cancel or change without a fee. With AA, there is a gap ranging from a few minutes to a few weeks (the latter on international itineraries far in the future) between purchasing and ticketing.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium
I didnt think so either. The funny thing was that I realized the mistake when I got my E-ticket confirmation email and was surprised they changed it. Maybe I got really lucky.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
It's unofficially called the "Oops Rule." Basically, as long as you call AA before the status switches from "Purchased" to "Ticketed," you should be able to make changes without fees. It's not guaranteed, however.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
As an example, I had a similar experience as the OP with this "rule" last night. I had purchased a held ticket for a trip in October. I had the return leg held as a KUP fare, but failed to notice when I went to purchase that it changed that leg to Y. I called Web Services right away and the agent put me back in P, charged the fare difference and that was it. It does work, just don't let too much time lag before you call.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Though I have never had a need to use the "24 hr. oops rule" thus far, more than one phone agent in recent months has informed me that such a policy does exist for web purchases. Perhaps this is another situation where there is an unwritten policy that is sparingly applied but only if the customer asks.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
Though I have never had a need to use the "24 hr. oops rule" thus far, more than one phone agent in recent months has informed me that such a policy does exist for web purchases. Perhaps this is another situation where there is an unwritten policy that is sparingly applied but only if the customer asks.
You may well be right. When I've had exceptions made I automatically assume it's because of my (exalted ) status, but that may not always be the case.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
For travel agents, there has always been a 24-hour "oops" rule. If the agent cancels the reservation before the 24 hour mark, there is no penalty assessed nor is the credit card charged.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are airlines, like United, which has an official policy of allowing full refunds within 24 hours - even if it's already ticketed.

AA doesn't have a policy like that.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:06 am

I, too, have made changes between "purchased" and "ticketed." I have never had any problem. However, only once did I need to change after ticketed (it was one of those that ticketed rather quickly) but the same day and the agent was cool about changing it without the fee.

I would not count on it as a "rule." I have learned to double and triple check before clicking that final submit.

Peace!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Funny, I was also told that there is a 24-hour window for web purchases.

Mike
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The 24 hour 'ooops' rule has worked for me when I made a mistake on a return date when ticketing online.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by formeraa
For travel agents, there has always been a 24-hour "oops" rule. If the agent cancels the reservation before the 24 hour mark, there is no penalty assessed nor is the credit card charged.
Actually, I think it may even be next business day for travel agents (have til Mon to cancel a ticket bought on Fri). I think the term is to "void" the ticket.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
It's unofficially called the "Oops Rule." Basically, as long as you call AA before the status switches from "Purchased" to "Ticketed," you should be able to make changes without fees. It's not guaranteed, however.
However, the OP has already indicated that this was "Ticketed" before the change was made, so this particular "rule" would not have come into play here.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.