use of disabled parking permit away from home?

Subscribe
I'm relatively new to the world of restricted mobility, and still trying to figure out how some things work. Take parking, for example. I have a disabled parking permit because I can only walk very limited distances (chemotherapy is he!! on the stamina/lung capacity) but I just learned last weekend that it also entitles me to free parking in public lots in California.

Is that true in other states as well?

Are special parking permits accepted as valid by states other than the issuing one? (DH read that they aren't, but can't remember where he read it)

I've also read on-street parking is free with the permit, again, is that correct and is it in all fifty states?

Or is there a url with all this info (and maybe a future FT sticky) for those of us still learning about traveling despite extra challenges?

For me, the cost of parking isn't a big deal, but having close access to my destination makes a huge difference in how much I am able to do these days.
I can't find the link now, but the disability tag is good in all 50 states, except New York City. Many states do allow free parking, but not all. You have to check with each state.

Whatever you do, don't park on the stripes.
Quote: Whatever you do, don't park on the stripes.
You mean, as in outside the legal parking space? Honest, I'm not that impaired!
Yes, your permit is valid in all 50 states.

And, a couple of years ago, I used a Michigan one in Great Britain for several weeks without any tickets.
Quote: You mean, as in outside the legal parking space? Honest, I'm not that impaired!
I'm glad to read that. Many who have tags ARE that impaired, so I had to throw that in. Sorry.
Is New York City an exception, as mentioned above?
Quote: Is New York City an exception, as mentioned above?
Yes. NYC requires a NYC permit. I deon't know why they are allowed an exception, but they are. Washington DC will not recognize a tag for on street free parking, but will accept it for parking lots.
Quote: I can't find the link now, but the disability tag is good in all 50 states, except New York City.
Reciprocal Recognition of Parking Badges has some info about both international and domestic reciprocity.

Sorry to have to welcome you to our ranks, CDTraveler. I hope this period in your life passes quickly.
Quote: Is New York City an exception, as mentioned above?
From the Mayor's Office For People With Disabilities, http://nyc.gov/html/mopd/html/resour..._parking.shtml

A person holding a New York City Parking Permit (a plaque placed in the windshield) may park in all “No Parking” zones except those marked as taxi stands; at “No Parking” or “No Standing” spaces authorized for doctors, press, diplomats, and government agencies; at parking meters without depositing a coin; and in “No Standing, Trucks Loading & Unloading” zones except for specified restricted hours. A person holding a NYS parking permit or one from another state or country (blue hang tags or plates) can park in accessible spaces marked by the International Symbol of Access in municipal and private lots, such as shopping malls and parking garages, but can not park in the street in the “No Parking Zones.” Only persons holding New York City Parking Permits can park on the street in “No Parking Zones.”

[emphasis added by me]
Quote: From the Mayor's Office For People With Disabilities, http://nyc.gov/html/mopd/html/resour..._parking.shtml

A person holding a New York City Parking Permit (a plaque placed in the windshield) may park in all “No Parking” zones except those marked as taxi stands; at “No Parking” or “No Standing” spaces authorized for doctors, press, diplomats, and government agencies; at parking meters without depositing a coin; and in “No Standing, Trucks Loading & Unloading” zones except for specified restricted hours. A person holding a NYS parking permit or one from another state or country (blue hang tags or plates) can park in accessible spaces marked by the International Symbol of Access in municipal and private lots, such as shopping malls and parking garages, but can not park in the street in the “No Parking Zones.” Only persons holding New York City Parking Permits can park on the street in “No Parking Zones.”

[emphasis added by me]
Thanks for that. It's similar to that in Washington DC.
Quote: From the Mayor's Office For People With Disabilities, http://nyc.gov/html/mopd/html/resour..._parking.shtml

[emphasis added by me]
A few other facts about the NYC Disability Parking Permit (I have both the NYC and the NYS)

They are vehicle specific. You have to submit a copy of the registration of each vehicle you want listed on the permit. You can have up to ten vehicles on your permit but if you have more than three, you cannot substitute a temporary vehicle like a rental.
They must be renewed every year and can require a physical examination every two years.
On street parking is also limited in the garment district.
They are not valid outside the 5 boroughs. For that you need the NYS hang tag. I will admit that, when I forgot my hang tag, I put the NYC permit in the window and have never had a problem.

About the hang tag.
They are not valid on NYC streets and you can be ticketed or towed for parking in a restricted area.
If you park in a lot that charges a fee, you will have to pay the fee whether you have the hang tag or not. The hang tag just allows you to park in the accessible spots in the lot.
Quote: Reciprocal Recognition of Parking Badges has some info about both international and domestic reciprocity.

Sorry to have to welcome you to our ranks, CDTraveler. I hope this period in your life passes quickly.
Katja, thanks for the welcome. I've been "here" since last April, but the end of chemotherapy is in sight now. (which is good, because I thought the last round was gonna do me in...) That means probably 3 to 4 months of rehab next before I can hope to be fully back on my feet and approaching usual endurance. My appreciation and respect for those who face these challenges permanently is greatly increased!

Can the two parking threads be combined and made a sticky? I'm sure I'm not the first with this question, and I really appreciated the helpful responses.
A further note to this issue. I live in Cincinnati (OH but borders on KY). Obviously the hang tag is valid in both states but whether or not you need to pay the parking meters is a different story. Cincinnati handicapped spaces have a meter so obviously you have to pay them when they're operational. KY (at least Covington) handicapped spaces do not have a meter attached even though adjacent "regular" spaces may. To be safe, I would recommend feeding the meters during their operational times even if you have the hangtag.
This is a very good point - all a permit gets you is the ability to park in a designated space. Don't assume that your jurisdiction's other regulations are universal. Cities, counties, townships, etc all make their own rules about meters and length of parking.
So, I'm thinking of having my own parking hang tag made that I can use in conjunction with my own permit that just says, "Please don't ticket or tow me!!" Haha.

My family and I are going on a trip across the eastern states, with DC and New York on the agenda. I just wonder how much a stickler the state and local parking authorities would be on an RV with out of state plates.