Reload this Page >

Dissed by a FTer!

Dissed by a FTer!

Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Wink Dissed by a FTer!

Was at HNL yesterday when I noticed a guy with the yellow FT luggage tag. I always like meeting other FTers, so I went over and introduced myself (I also have the badge of honor.). He kind of rolled his eyes and said to his friend (in a friendly tone), "Ah, they're everywhere!" Told him I was mikeef and he said it had been so long he couldn't remember his screen name. Okay, how many out there are dedicated enough to have a luggage tag but don't know their screen name?

Sigh, maybe I just smelled funny.

Mike
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mikeef
he said it had been so long he couldn't remember his screen name.
Might be time to remove the FT tag
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
message deleted

Last edited by Marysunshine; Sep 10, 2007 at 12:52 pm
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marysunshine
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.
Wow, that's ridiculous! Please don't think that all (or even a reasonable number) FT'ers are like that, because I have yet to run into anyone even remotely rude (and I've met hundreds). Please don't let bad apples like that ruin it! For the most part I have found people to be nicer in person than they are on FT, even if they're nice on FT!

I'd love to know who told you that...
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.
I feel the same. I was dissed not only by another FT'er at a DO, but a moderator of this very "Community" forum. While seated at the same table for dinner this person refused to engage in any conversation with me or another couple in spite of our efforts to engage them in conversation. We were overtly ingnored for the entire night. No more "Do's" for me.*

*Except for the excellent Ann Arbor DO's and Alanw's fabulous BCN Do's

Last edited by OnAMileHigh; Sep 4, 2007 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
OMG... how incredibly rude.

I think you should out those people.... that isn't what FT is about.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
OMG... how incredibly rude.

I think you should out those people.... that isn't what FT is about.
What if moderators are the guilty party?

Not my experiences, but others can testify to that.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Well, mods are ordinary members first, so I wouldn't even call attention to it.

Rude is rude, and in a small gathering to ignore, or make snide comments about the guests in almost unfathomable.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I had the same kind of experience when visiting in chicago about a year ago. I was traveling with two women I had met on the internet. Flyertalk was having a get together so thought we'd meet up with them. It was a small get together, three guys and one female. The female was very friendly for a brief period. One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
I missed that lunch & getting to see you that day.

Don't let that comment get to you -- you have plenty of fans here, many of whom have enjoyed your posts, not to mention your wonderful hospitality!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I had the same kind of experience when visiting in chicago about a year ago. I was traveling with two women I had met on the internet. Flyertalk was having a get together so thought we'd meet up with them. It was a small get together, three guys and one female. The female was very friendly for a brief period. One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. FT has a**h***s, as does any other group of several thousand people. It seems that it was your misfortune to run into some. Please don't let that sour you on the rest of us. If you happen to show up at any do I'm at, I can assure you that this guy in his 60s is more than happy to talk to women in that age group!! (That includes happily married ones; I can think of at least three I've spent a lot of pleasant time with at FT gatherings, meeting each of their husbands at least once as well. I didn't check IDs, though; they may not all be over 60.)
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just as there are bad airline employees, troubled flights, there are rude o FTers or you catch them on a bad day.

Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
With a membership as large as FT has, statistically there is bound to be a minority of imbeciles and buffoons.
That unfortunately is the bad news, the good news is in my 2 and a half years on FT I have only run into 3 of these such members.
I just deal with it by praying they get stuck in economy with a drunk, belligerent seat mate selling life insurance and pushing religion.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
In a community as large as FT, there will be all types. There is no personality test for admittance.

I make a habit at dinners of trying to introduce myself to everyone there, and say hello to those I already know. I like people.

I have had a few, very few, attendees look at me as if I were soliciting for spare change when I walk up and introduce myself. I would not want to miss out on meeting some of the incredibly interesting people in this community just because of an occasional perceived slight or someone else's social ineptness.

And as for the genuine boors, well, I just hope something happens in their life to help them have a better outlook, and maybe consequently a modicum of grace.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I haven't been to a so called "do" in four years however I have been to some small gatherings since then.. but at one of the do's (Chicago 02 I believe) I had online/thread run ins with a particular FT'er about some stuff

We each knew the other was going to be at the same do but due to the size of the participants (in excess of 100) it wasn't likely we'd have to interact.

Well night one, I'm sitting in the hotel bar and maybe 20 of us are there chatting away, I was NOT wearing my FT tag (can't recall why) but another person wearing a tag came up to me and was chatting for about five minutes when the question was asked finally asked to whom I was on FT (I had introduced my self with my real first name) and I said "TrojanHorse, nice to meet you" (yeah I had a funny grin on IIRC) and this person whose hand was about to come out to shake my hand was pulled back and this person huffed and puffed away real fast.. it was funny to me b/c I didn't like that person anyway and knew what I was doing so the rest of the trip I would just say hi and stick out my hand and wouldn't even get a response.

I'll never forget it
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:27 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Also, do not assume that every person will be as open and friendly as you...

I, for one, am a major introvert. I have a tendency in public settings - with people I do not know - to be quiet. It does not mean I am ignoring you... it just means I am not inclinded to communicate a great deal. It is one reason I do not attend generic Do's... there seems to be an expectation that everyone will like each other and engage each other in conversation. I have a tendency to do a get together if I am in town somewhere... met some great people in NYC, LA, Sydney, and lother locations as a result.

As others have said, there are some people who will not be open or friendly. Or some who you might call other names. I know there are some on here I never even want to meet... but that does not mean I would swear off meeting people from Flyertalk because of one or two people.

William

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.