Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Restrict access to S.P.A.M. forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Suggestion: Restrict access to S.P.A.M. forum

I don't know if the S.P.A.M. forum had restrictions on who could access it, at one time, much like CC and OMNI, but in thinking about how to address the thoughts of some that it's resembling FatWallet more and more, and noticing a newer FT member who has posts only in S.P.A.M., and is soliciting for MyCokeRewards codes, perhaps placing restrictions (90 days/90 posts) or some such would help it look less like FatWallet.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I totally agree with you that FT shouldn't turn into FW or SD. However, I saw it coming when TB voted to table the discussion.

I might be wrong. After all the discussion our fellow FTers put into where our SPAM forum is heading?, TB had spoken. They are quite comfortable with the status quo of SPAM by voting to table the discussion of S.P.A.M. I recalled reading posts that TB is not interested in a potential motion that wouldn't pass at all.

I am not saying I understand nor agree with that logic, especially when I know for sure not every TB motion got passed. My thinking is like this. (Please forgive my OMNI-potential analogy here. ) The candidates do not run for the president because they know for sure they will get elected. They run to make a stand. Elected or not, they would have at least spoken. IMHO, it is not making any TB statement by silencing SPAM discussion. At least, not in any democratic society. If the TB had tried then the motion failed, that would be fine with me. It seems SPAM forum didn't even get a slim chance.

I seriously doubt there would be any motion regarding SPAM in the near future, content or access-wise. That's just my 2 miles!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lin821
IMHO, it is not making any TB statement by silencing SPAM discussion.
It was not our intent....or, speaking for myself....my intent to silence the public discussion on the SPAM forum.

With this new thread, there are now three open, recent threads discussing SPAM. And anyone can add to these threads at anytime.

The purpose of the tabling motion was to state that TB had no intention at this time in changing the structure of SPAM.

We were tabling our internal discussion on the matter and wanted to let all interested parties know that no immediate changes would be forthcoming.

This matter may again be visited next week, next month or next year. Or never.

But we didn’t want anyone holding their breath and turning blue while wondering where the TB stood on the issue.

I don’t speak for the TB in an official manner so others may want to add their own comments.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lin821
I totally agree with you that FT shouldn't turn into FW or SD. However, I saw it coming when TB voted to table the discussion.

I might be wrong. After all the discussion our fellow FTers put into where our SPAM forum is heading?, TB had spoken. They are quite comfortable with the status quo of SPAM by voting to table the discussion of S.P.A.M. I recalled reading posts that TB is not interested in a potential motion that wouldn't pass at all.

I am not saying I understand nor agree with that logic, especially when I know for sure not every TB motion got passed. My thinking is like this. (Please forgive my OMNI-potential analogy here. ) The candidates do not run for the president because they know for sure they will get elected. They run to make a stand. Elected or not, they would have at least spoken. IMHO, it is not making any TB statement by silencing SPAM discussion. At least, not in any democratic society. If the TB had tried then the motion failed, that would be fine with me. It seems SPAM forum didn't even get a slim chance.

I seriously doubt there would be any motion regarding SPAM in the near future, content or access-wise. That's just my 2 miles!
Alas, nature abhors a vaccuum.

Once the TB decided that it was perfectly fine that S.P.A.M. not abide by it's stated name and description I was having a really fun time on the new and undefined S.P.A.M. until....

If the policy is 'it is what it is' then why should anyone be surprised when it becomes what it becomes? The race to the bottom has begun!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Alas, nature abhors a vaccuum.

Once the TB decided that it was perfectly fine that S.P.A.M. not abide by it's stated name and description I was having a really fun time on the new and undefined S.P.A.M. until....

If the policy is 'it is what it is' then why should anyone be surprised when it becomes what it becomes? The race to the bottom has begun!
I'm one of the ones who thought the forum was ok how it was, but now, there are at least two FTers who have no posts outside of S.P.A.M., and who are soliciting My Coke Rewards codes. The same sort of thing happened, but in higher quantities, on the Best Buy Police pre-sale codes thread, to the extent that the thread was locked. The more people I notice not participating, other than in S.P.A.M., the more I think it should have a restriction, or we should do away with the freebies.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:47 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm one of the ones who thought the forum was ok how it was, but now, there are at least two FTers who have no posts outside of S.P.A.M., and who are soliciting My Coke Rewards codes. The same sort of thing happened, but in higher quantities, on the Best Buy Police pre-sale codes thread, to the extent that the thread was locked. The more people I notice not participating, other than in S.P.A.M., the more I think it should have a restriction, or we should do away with the freebies.
I am not sure why this is a problem. We have members who almost solely post in the UA forum, or the Starwood Forum, or the OMNI forum. FT is many things to different people. While I personally would like to see them add value in multiple forums, that is their choice.

I have learned that the SPAM and Coupon Connection forum "regular visitors" have their own way of "moderating" those who visit their community....

Not sure we need to have more restrictions than we currently have.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wharvey
I am not sure why this is a problem. We have members who almost solely post in the UA forum, or the Starwood Forum, or the OMNI forum. FT is many things to different people. While I personally would like to see them add value in multiple forums, that is their choice.

I have learned that the SPAM and Coupon Connection forum "regular visitors" have their own way of "moderating" those who visit their community....

Not sure we need to have more restrictions than we currently have.
the difference is that SPAM is not really about Miles or Points or anything with Travel. CC is most certainly about Travel. SPAM was set up as a way to cleanse that stuff out of the reg Forums,as an additional venue for FT members, sort of like OMNI. In Addition to , and not Solely for.

Once CC went to being restricted FT got rid of alot of people who were simply interestedin buying or selling stuff, and at times yep ripping off FT members. Im sure if SPAM went this way then those who post only there will simply go back to FW or SD, as they arent really interested in what FT is about at all.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
the difference is that SPAM is not really about Miles or Points or anything with Travel. CC is most certainly about Travel. SPAM was set up as a way to cleanse that stuff out of the reg Forums,as an additional venue for FT members, sort of like OMNI. In Addition to , and not Solely for.

Once CC went to being restricted FT got rid of alot of people who were simply interestedin buying or selling stuff, and at times yep ripping off FT members. Im sure if SPAM went this way then those who post only there will simply go back to FW or SD, as they arent really interested in what FT is about at all.
That about sums it up for me.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:04 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Off topic post removed by moderator.

Over my objection, for the record. mw

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 8, 2007 at 9:19 am Reason: Off topic
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Referral to now deleted post, removed by moderator

Last edited by Moderator2; Sep 7, 2007 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by craz
... SPAM was set up as a way to cleanse that stuff out of the reg Forums, as an additional venue for FT members, sort of like OMNI. In Addition to , and not Solely for.

^

I would think this would be a more than welcome change of current SPAM. True FTers may love freebies. However, freebie lovers (or freebie onlookers/"pirates") are not necessarily true FTers.

I wouldn't mind at all to take away the "bones" from those who AREN'T one of us. Turning SPAM into one of the ""secret" fora, such as CC and OMNI, might be a good way to go.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:08 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
In my opinion, this is a solution in search of a problem.

Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I keep seeing much agonizing over problems with the S.P.A.M. forum... if it's not serving it's purpose anymore, why not simply close it?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by kanebear
I keep seeing much agonizing over problems with the S.P.A.M. forum... if it's not serving it's purpose anymore, why not simply close it?
I'm afraid I don't see a real high quantity of agony. Quality of agony, perhaps, but not by a large number of members...

In other words, I don't see a problem. Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm afraid I don't see a real high quantity of agony. Quality of agony, perhaps, but not by a large number of members...

In other words, I don't see a problem. Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Very true; unreasonable volume from few vectors. I neglected to consider that fully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.