Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank of America ATM partner in Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Bank of America ATM partner in Ireland?

A search didn't turn up anything - you know how BofA is part of a network of banks that give each other's customers no-fee access to ATM's? Ie, Barclay's in the UK, BNP Paribas in France, Deutsche Bank in Germany, etc?
Is there any partner in the Republic of Ireland?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:11 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
From the B of A website, these are the only foreign partners listed:
Barclays (United Kingdom)
BNP Paribas (France)
China Construction Bank (China)
Deutsche Bank (Germany)
Satander Serfin (Mexico)
Scotiabank (Canada)
Westpac (Australia and New Zealand).
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
And they're only no-fee in the countries indicated. I was going out of my way to use Deutsche Bank locations in Italy and was charged a $5 fee for each withdrawal (plus a percentage). BofA claims the no-fee offer doesn't apply to branches in other countries (which wasn't what they told me when I opened my account).
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:16 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Time to find a bank that does not charge any additional fee to use some other bank's ATM (other than the 1% currency conversion fee), like some of the banks associated with brokerage houses (e.g. E-Trade Bank). Or some bank that has its own banks in the countries you want to go to (e.g. HSBC).

$5 fee is exceptionally greedy, even by US standards (where banks are quite greedy for fees).
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL CO UA
None that I could find . Ocn Vw 1K pretty much answered your question.
Find any ATM and take out as much as you can. What you DO NOT want to do , is say take out a 100 each day. The dfees will eat you alive.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels Platinum
I have benefited from the Bank of America alliance with my Canadian bank when travelling in the States, but as per your question pertaining to Ireland, I don't remember seeing Barclays in the Republic of Ireland. However, if your travels take you up to Northern Ireland (UK), your withdrawals should be fee free there using Barclays. I know that is little consolation but I'm just putting it out there in case anyone may benefit from that info.

I had a little chuckle reading ShopAround's message. When I landed in Milan in March, I was searching all over the place for the Deutsche Banks so I could avail of the fee-free banking. I found a bank, tried my bank card and found out to my amazement that it would not work at all. I found another Deutsche Bank and the same thing happened. I was disappointed to find out that I would have to go to other banks and get charged for my transactions. Upon seeing today's thread, I'm kind of glad to know that I would have been charged regardless, but my advantage was that I knew I was getting charged, unlike ShopAround. I feel for ya, SA!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Are you guys positive they charge fees for partner bank branches outside their home country? I have gone this route several times, and I didn't think I was charged. At least no separate line item appeared in my statement for five dollar charge. I have used Scotiabank in the Bahamas and Chile and Barclays in Spain. I just checked my statement from January when I visited the Bahamas and my withdrawal from Scotiabank on Paradise Island was for an even $100 with no fee listed separately, and since the exchange rate is 1 to 1, it seems I wasn't charged. That ATM offered both US and Bahamian dollars, but I distinctly remember choosing Bahamian.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by ShopAround
And they're only no-fee in the countries indicated. I was going out of my way to use Deutsche Bank locations in Italy and was charged a $5 fee for each withdrawal (plus a percentage). BofA claims the no-fee offer doesn't apply to branches in other countries (which wasn't what they told me when I opened my account).
I tried using DB in Prague, didn't work. Tried using it in Poland - worked, no fees. Citibank has a pretty large presence all over the globe, and they only charge a 2% conversion fee, which still comes out better than exchanging cash.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:37 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 19, 2008 at 10:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.