Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hello from Greenland...

Hello from Greenland...

Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, Best Western GCCI Platinum Member, German Railroads (Deutsche Bahn) Bahn Comfort
Hello from Greenland...

Some months ago, SAS added Greenland to their schedule again. As a long time fan of the nordic countries, I immediately booked a Miles & More-Award-Ticket to this arctic Island, costing 30.000 Miles in Economy.

Unfortunately, SAS uses the former US-Airbase of Kangerlussuaq (Søndre Stromfjord). More precisely said: An airport somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Therefore I booked some domestic flights on Greenland as well: Kangerlussuaq - Nuuk - Narsassuaq and back.

Narsassuaq is a tiny town in the south of the country. There are many medieval ruins - the are was settled by Scandinavians in the Viking age (around 985 AD), and the last settlers died perhaps around 1450. As somebody, who is doing a Ph.D. in Scandinavian History, I just had to visit that area.

But first, I had to get there somehow.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, Best Western GCCI Platinum Member, German Railroads (Deutsche Bahn) Bahn Comfort
SAS SK 680 TXL-CPH

There is not much to say about this flight. SAS uses an Dash 8-400Q in a three-class-configuration: Business, Economy Extra and Economy. With an awardticket (bookingclass X) you are seated in Economy: Food and Beverages are for purchase only. On a 50-minutes-flight, this is no problem at all.

(As I dont have status with any major airline, I cant say anything about lounges in Berlin. I own a Priority Pass, but there is no Priority Pass lounge at TXL - the one they used to have is closed since January 2007)

As the flight to Greenland leaves CPH already at 07:00 in the morning, I had to stay overnight in CPH.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Please tell us more about your trip other than the flights I've heard Greenland is lush with outdoor activity and beautiful landscapes.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:28 am

Is this considered a Europe Award?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Absolutely tell us more, belabiah!

Greenland is one my all-time fantasy destinations!!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Is this considered a Europe Award?
Depends on your frequent flyer program. For some Greenland is in Europe while for others it is in North America.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Hellooooo!?!

We're waaaaiiitttinggggg for the next installment of your trip!!! Did a seal get your tongue?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.